Smaller, independent ski areas join forces in the shadow of Epic-v-Ikon season pass battle
10 posts
6 users
2k+ views
bob
March 15, 2018
Member since 04/15/2008 🔗
755 posts

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/03/14/independent-ski-areas-epic-ikon-season-passes/

crgildart
March 15, 2018 (edited March 15, 2018)
Member since 07/13/2014 🔗
767 posts

We need one with WinterGreen, WinterPlace, Beech, Sugar, Appalachian, Cattaloochee, Wolf Ridge, Massanutten, Whitetail, etc.  The day someone offers a pass that includes at least three of those I'm all in. 

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,246 posts

Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop are a trio owned by Snowtime.  Works really well for people who live in the DC/Baltiimore area.

There is the trio near Pittsburgh that people seem happy with: 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel.

Does seem like if Cat would team up with Sugar or Beech it could be good for both places.  Actually, Winterplace teaming up with someplace in NC could work too.  But I don't see it happening.

Blue Don 1982 - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
Member since 01/13/2008 🔗
1,580 posts

marzNC wrote:

There is the trio near Pittsburgh that people seem happy with: 7Springs, Hidden Valley, Laurel.

Just think if they teamed up with Blue Knob and Wisp.  All 5 less than 2 hrs from Pgh.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
3,246 posts

My sense is that cooperative agreements or combining multiple places under the same ownership started up a while back as a reaction to the first Vail Epic pass.  The article title makes it seem as if it's an idea that's brand new.  The MAX Pass evolved from the Intrawest passport.  The Powder Alliance is still going strong.  Peak is hanging in there after a tough year after adding Hunter.  Boyne Resorts is taking ownership of the places they have operated unter long term leases for a while.

Stand alone ski areas that know their local market that are close enough to population centers seem to be doing okay.  I'm quite impressed with Wachusett near Boston.  Been around since the 1930s but has clearly kept up in terms of snowmaking and upgrading lifts.  More importantly, Wachusett has figured out how to bring in revenue during the other three seasons.  Hard to stay in business only open 4-5 months a year.  Going to be interesting to watch how Tenney Mountain does.  The lifts are running again after closing down abruptly eight years ago.  Only 2 hours from Boston right off I-93.  Definitely a case where it was mis-management that caused the place to close.

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
3,246 posts

Blue Don 1982 wrote:

marzNC wrote:

Just think if they teamed up with Blue Knob and Wisp.  All 5 less than 2 hrs from Pgh.

Perhaps.  But combining Wisp with Wintergreen and Massanutten might work better.  Would give people in northern VA, DC, Baltimore, DE a reason to consider driving west instead of north into easern PA or the Catskills.

A sampler that included all the ski areas in western PA, MD, VA, northern WV would be fun.  Utah has a pass that provide one day at all of the ski areas/resort in the state, from the little ones to the mega-resorts.  14 days of skiing for $649.  Possible to get generic ticket packets good at a long list of ski areas in all over Canada.

Anyone use the Mountains of Distinction?  Here's the list for 2018 from the 7Springs website, 50% off midweek and $15 off on weekends and holidays. 

• - Crystal Mountain, Thompsonville, MI 49683
  • - Holiday Valley, Ellicottville, NY 14731
  • - Jiminy Peak, Handcock, MA 01237
  • - Liberty Mountain Resort, Carroll Valley, PA 17320
  • - Mt. Sunapee Resort, Newbury, NH 03255
  • - Roundtop, Lewisberry, PA 17339
  • - Shawnee Peak, Bridgton, ME 04009
  • - Wachusett Ski Area, Princeton, MA 01541
  • - Whitetail Mountain Resort, Mercersburg, PA 17236
  • - Windham Mountain, Windham, NY 12496
  • - Wintergreen Resort, Wintergreen, VA 22958
ksampson3
March 15, 2018
Member since 01/9/2012 🔗
80 posts

I used it today at Wachusett. Lift ticket was only $32.50 because of the reciprocity. The fam used it earlier in the year at 7 Springs. We saved $130 over two days because we have Whitetail season passes and it was mid week prices. I wish that the Snotime resorts would include more mountains. It really makes checking out other resorts feasible when you bring the whole family.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
3,246 posts

ksampson3 wrote:

I used it today at Wachusett. Lift ticket was only $32.50 because of the reciprocity. The fam used it earlier in the year at 7 Springs. We saved $130 over two days because we have Whitetail season passes and it was mid week prices. I wish that the Snotime resorts would include more mountains. It really makes checking out other resorts feasible when you bring the whole family.  

Good time to ski Wachusett!  Had you been there before?

Jiminy Peak midweek at 50% off would also make for a good time.  I skied there last week during the snowstorm.  8-hr ticket meant I could ski starting around 11am and keep going under the lights.  Heavy snow started around 2pm. :-)

It does seem as if most resorts are realizing that partnering with places that are not in their region can be a win-win.  Or at least far enough apart that most people who are driving will spend most of their time at the home mountain.  Certainly fun for any family to be able to explore a new area.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts

The newest accessions to the Epic Pass announced today are Okemo VT, Mount Sunapee NH and Crested Butte, CO.  Together with Stowe, Epic has four areas in the East.  

And to top it off, their military pass is $99.  Yes, ninety-nine dollars.  Less than one single day lift ticket at Stowe.  

marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
March 15, 2018
3,246 posts

lbotta wrote:

The newest accessions to the Epic Pass announced today are Okemo VT, Mount Sunapee NH and Crested Butte, CO.  Together with Stowe, Epic has four areas in the East.  

And to top it off, their military pass is $99.  Yes, ninety-nine dollars.  Less than one single day lift ticket at Stowe.  

Yep, all sorts of announcements by Vail and Alterra lately for the Epic and new Ikon passes.  But need to read all the fine print to decide which makes the most sense.  The MCP can still be a good option too.

http://www.dcski.com/forum/93039 - Multi-resort passes for 2018-19

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.