RSS Feed Please
9 posts
3 users
3k+ views
WP_Employee
September 21, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
It would be super excelent if DCSki.com created an RSS feed for us to use. I would really love this feature!
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 21, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

It would be super excelent if DCSki.com created an RSS feed for us to use. I would really love this feature!

Guess what? DCSki already has one! That's one of the new features that I haven't promoted much (I'm sure many readers have no idea what RSS is), but it should be up and running.

Just point your RSS reader to:

http://dcski.com/dcski.rss

It's a pretty straightforward feed; feel free to give me any feedback you have.

Thanks,

- Scott
WP_Employee
September 21, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
You should include the RSS feed in your HTML file so those of us that use Firefox/ Mozilla can automatically add it (the 1.0PR release of Firefox automatically tells you when a site has an RSS feed)

Additionally, the RSS feed above does not work for me. I am currently using RSS feeds from Slickdeals.net, news.com, and slashdot.org with no problem.

< LINK REL="alternate" TITLE="Slashdot RSS" HREF="//slashdot.org/index.rss" TYPE="application/rss+xml" >

That RSS feed (for an example) works a-okay.
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 22, 2004
1,249 posts
Quote:

You should include the RSS feed in your HTML file so those of us that use Firefox/ Mozilla can automatically add it (the 1.0PR release of Firefox automatically tells you when a site has an RSS feed)

Additionally, the RSS feed above does not work for me. I am currently using RSS feeds from Slickdeals.net, news.com, and slashdot.org with no problem.

< LINK REL="alternate" TITLE="Slashdot RSS" HREF="//slashdot.org/index.rss" TYPE="application/rss+xml" >

That RSS feed (for an example) works a-okay.

I'll have to explore this further when I get a chance. I've tried the dcski.rss with a couple standalone RSS readers and they didn't have any problems. If you look at the source of dcski.rss, it's about as simple as RSS can get -- but maybe there's a hiccup somewhere giving Firefox a problem. When I have time I'll try to download Firefox and see what's going on, and see about linking it in with the main index file.

(I just tried validating my RSS page, and there's a couple minor errors in terms of encoding, which might explain why some RSS readers are OK and others don't like it.)

Thanks,

- Scott
Roy
September 22, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
What's RSS? Is it easier or faster?
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 22, 2004
1,249 posts
Quote:

What's RSS? Is it easier or faster?

RSS is a way to "syndicate" news from a web site, so that headlines from a web site can be viewed easily in programs other than web browsers. (Some newer browsers also support RSS feeds.)

Basically, you can "subscribe" to an RSS feed, and your RSS reader will poll the site regularly and give a listing of recent articles. Sometimes you can view the articles directly in the RSS reader, but other times you'll just see an abstract and clicking on it will take you to a web page. With RSS, you can subscribe to a lot of web sites and quickly see updates in one window.

DCSki's RSS feed (for now) will simply publish a list of recent headlines and abstracts -- the same thing you see on DCSki's home page. So if you're already using RSS, it's another feed you might want to add, but there's probably not a big reason to use RSS solely for DCSki.

- Scott
WP_Employee
September 22, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
In addition...

In modern browsers (*cough* Firefox) the RSS feed can be placed in a bookmark folder. When you look @ the "bookmark", you can see the current news on the site as a list of links. This is extremely useful if you visit at set of sites on a regular basis.

I have a picture of an RSS feed (example) available @ http://www.aaec.vt.edu/help/screen1.gif

As you can see in that picture, the news from the website (slashdot.org) shows up as a series of links in my browser. Very useful indeed .

Even cooler, for websites that embed RSS in their HTML code (as the Link Rel statement above does) Firefox "identifies" this line of code and gives you an RSS icon in the lower right hand corner of the browser. So basically, you can subscribe to an RSS feed in one click.

Firefox also allows you to utilize multiple style sheets (a word us web developers recognize) on a single site. So changing the theme of a site is as easy as clicking a button (lets see IE do this one).

If you download firefox, check out Bluesnews.com -- they use multiple style sheets (a small icon in the lower right hand corner allows you to switch the site theme).
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 26, 2004
1,249 posts
WP_Employee,

I made some changes to DCSki's RSS feed. Can you test it out and let me know if it's working now? I also added the page-top code that should let FireFox see the RSS, but I don't have a way of testing that right now.

Thanks!

- Scott
WP_Employee
September 26, 2004
Member since 03/7/2004 🔗
83 posts
Works perfectly! Thanks!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?