Snowshoe Expansion!!??
4 posts
4 users
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
September 12, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
When at the "Dilly-in-Chantilly" a few weeks ago the rep at the Snowshoe booth indicated some expansion for this year over on the other side of Widow Maker slope, not substantial but never the less some indication of things to come. Can anybody confirm this? The new Snowshoe Mtn. Winter 04-05 web site has the same old trail map and states that there are still 57 slopes, as last year.
Scott, or someone, plaease check into this when you get a chance!
Thanks,
The Colonel
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 12, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

When at the "Dilly-in-Chantilly" a few weeks ago the rep at the Snowshoe booth indicated some expansion for this year over on the other side of Widow Maker slope, not substantial but never the less some indication of things to come. Can anybody confirm this? The new Snowshoe Mtn. Winter 04-05 web site has the same old trail map and states that there are still 57 slopes, as last year.
Scott, or someone, plaease check into this when you get a chance!
Thanks,
The Colonel

I know that's the area that's next on the list for slope expansion, but last I heard, that was still at least a couple years off and nothing was definite. Snowshoe has made some recent improvements (over the past several years) to the snowmaking infrastructure to support additional slopes, should they be added in the future.

I'm starting on the "What's New for 2004" series and will get the latest scoop on Snowshoe soon.

- Scott
jimmy
September 13, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Colonel, We drove down from timberline over labor day and they're building up an area across the roade from the enterance to the public parking area @ top of the world that appears to be a perfect place to unload a lift. There are a couple cuts down the mountain that look like power right of ways only wider, new underground electric roughed in nearby. Something's going on.

Jimmy
snowcone
September 13, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Ok .. rumors again.

The last we heard was that the area between Widowmaker and Ballhooter was not being utilized very efficiently.. just look at the trail map to see what I mean. Hootnanny is a nice greenie trail but sometimes becomes very uncomfortable for beginners with more advanced skiers swooping in and out between them on the narrow ledge trail. I pretty much avoid that side of the basin as its just not fun to ski when crowded. Anyway, the idea is eventually (as I was told and not necessarily this year or next) to restructure that stretch to be more run (rather than trail) oriented and to make better use of the Widowmaker lift. Again there is the problem of those lizards and squirrels and SS is waiting on impact studies results before going forward. Plus I understand the land at the top of that section is privately owned so that may be curtailing some of SS's development plans. I also understand that there is the intention to expand the Northern Tract further northward to make more cruising runs like Yew Pine and Skidway. Again, this is pending results on impact studies and not for another year or two. Lots of other rumors are out there but these two seem to be the most imminent and logical.

I guess we will just have to wait to see what Scott comes up with in his article.

Dang! ...Just can't wait to head up that road from Cass with the skis on the roof and a cooler full of Amber Bock!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?