Hidden Valley PA
4 posts
2 users
1k+ views
shearer519
September 12, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
A few years ago hidden valley posted a trail map that had a new expansion on it. It showed about 8 trails and two lifts. Here is a link to the trail map.

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-ski-531718-hidden_valley_four_seasons_resort_trailmap-i

The next season they went back to the old trail map. I was wondering if anyone knows what was planed and if it is still going to be built sometime in the future.
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 13, 2004
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,578 posts
I inquired about the expansion this summer. It's not going to happening for at least several more years according to the person that I spoke to. I have checked out the area of the proposed expansion and the terrain looks fairly steep in some areas, thus we could finaly end up with some at least moderately challenging terrain. It is my understanding that some additional real estate development will accompany the slope expansion. However, the resort owner's, DC area developer, Kettler Brothers, has not even invested money maintaining the existing resort facilities. Leading some folks to speculate that they're either not making any money on the ski operation or they take the money and spend it them selves. There seems to be no shortage of skiers, so I don't know where the money goes. Don't get me wrong, the snow making and grooming operations are very well done. However,some of the lifts are getting old and the ski lodge, which is a beautiful building, appears to need some attention. It is my opinion that Old Man Kettler was the guiding vision for the development of the resort. He cared about his creation, but his sons, who have taken over the operation, only care about taking money out and not putting any back into the resort. I also believe that the Kettlers do a good job with the real estate development but fall short when it cones to running a resort. Marketing is virtually non-existent which ensures that you won't have to deal with the bus loads that crowd 7Springs.
shearer519
September 13, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
snowsmith,

Thanks for all the information on Hidden Valley. Do you have any information on what the plans for their expansion are? How many lifts and trails are we talking about and will it change their vertical drop. I haven't skied at Hidden Valley since they added new slopes to the north side. It is the resort I learned to ski at and I have many fond memories of it. I remember there were two slopes on the front side that had a pretty decent pitch to them. To me it has always been hard to justify going there when the same price will get me a day at 7 Springs with a pass that is good 2 hours longer or a day at Blue Knob. So I was wondering in your opinion is it worth spending a day there or not. Thanks again for all the information
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
September 13, 2004
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,578 posts
Shearer.
If you want a relaxing day of skiing or you are with your kids, its not bad. There are 3 to 5 slopes there that have some decent challenge including 2 on the North Face. I am somewhat prejudice since I own realestate there. They have done an excellent job developing the realestate. It kind of reminds me of Sea Colony, Del (tennis villa area, not the high rises). There are walking trails, fern groves, a great golf course and miles of cross country ski trails, adjacent state parks and forests, close to 4 other ski areas, etc). And the real estate is still reasonable(although it's going up). You won't find the crowds that you find at 7Springs.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?