Liberty, Roundtop, Whitetail Programs this year
18 posts
7 users
3k+ views
EasternSkiBum
August 20, 2004
Member since 08/20/2004 🔗
68 posts
Here's the latest updates for all you Advantage Card holders....

There's a new database that links all 3 areas. Everyone will have to have a new pic and card done this year. The good news... you'll be able to do it at any of the 3 resorts. As always purchase early to get the best rate.

Family Advantage Card.... you'll be able to purchase (price?) up to 2 companion cards so you can bring your friends with you and they'll get 40% off their lift tickets (only) too.
snowcone
August 23, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
Quote:

Family Advantage Card.... you'll be able to purchase (price?) up to 2 companion cards so you can bring your friends with you and they'll get 40% off their lift tickets (only) too.

Are you sure about this? .. We get a family ticket each year for the two of us. Last year we tried to get my single, over 18, daughter on the family ticket and were told we had to buy a separate Advantage card for her, which we did.

I am not sure what you mean by "companion cards" ... the family card allows 2 adults and kids under 18. I don't see where "friends" come in on this. Plus in order to buy a lift ticket you must present your lift ticket yourself ... no swapping riders.

It's a bummer for both of us to have to stand in line to get our lift passes so the ticketers can compare pic on pass with human version. It would be much easier (and faster) if one could stand in line while the other schleps gear from the car.

However I can see their point .. prevents cheating.
EasternSkiBum
August 23, 2004
68 posts
You are correct snowcone. The family advantage card covers 2 legally married adults plus any dependant kids for one price. That's sill the same this year.

New this year you will be able to add on up to 2 companion cards/ per family membership for an additional cost/ per add on. The companion card will allow you to bring a friend and get that friend 40% off the lifts only. The companion card will not be person specific. Hope this clears it up.
comprex
August 23, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Any chance of an express line for Advantage/Night Clubbers? Been waiting behind more busloads than I care to.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
snowcone
August 23, 2004
589 posts
Now thats a great idea! ... If the Snowtime resorts would have one or two ticket windows for Advantage/NightClubber members only, I am sure more people would sign up. We go mainly to Liberty and Whitetail and I gotta tell ya, the lines start becoming hell after 8 AM.
EasternSkiBum
August 24, 2004
68 posts
I don't know of any plans... but I'd email the resorts and suggest it.

BTW.... why are you getting there after 8am? The best skiing on weekends bar none is from 8-10am . I'm not a morning person, but am always there for that.
snowcone
August 24, 2004
589 posts
Sigh .. I agree, getting to there before 8 AM is best but it doesn't always work out that way .. especially when you are depending on others to show up on time. We usually do a 4 hr ticket and bail by 12 when the crowds start getting truly nasty and the beginning boarder snow piles turn to slush..
comprex
August 24, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Quote:

BTW.... why are you getting there after 8am? The best skiing on weekends bar none is from 8-10am . I'm not a morning person, but am always there for that.

Night Club, so 8pm is not uncommon for me, especially on Fridays. If there's a bus there, I can't ski before 9:15.
Roy
August 25, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
As I've gotten older, my skepticism has become greater.

Here is the Ski Liberty website concerning Advantage cards. http://www.skiliberty.com/advantagecard.htm

There is no mention of companion cards. This started my BS detector. Then I noticed EasternSkiBum is listed as a stranger and he posted this first message twice.

I don't know what any of this means but please visit the webiste or call liberty mountain (or whitetail or roundtop) before taking any of this information literally.

Disclaimer: I am a Ski Instructor at Liberty. I'm trying to look out for the business and for the skier from being taken ADVANTAGE of.
EasternSkiBum
August 25, 2004
68 posts
Roy I appreciate you looking out for the customer. I am a 12 yr. instructor with Liberty, and have been working for the marketing dept. for the past 5? yrs. The companion card info. came in a packet I got from Snowtime's marketing dept. in the mail. Just to reiterate, the companion cards will only be available w/ Family Advantage Cards, not individual ones. I'll admit that I'm going to the actual pre season marketing meeting in about 2 weeks, and that's where I'll get my sales materials for the season. But, I did get this info as a what's new at the resorts update this year. If there are any questions of validity, then please contact the sales dept. I believe there's a link from the website.

As for my status on this site... I don't know how to change it.

Cheryl
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 25, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
A note on the user titles that show up.. The old message forum software I used assigned titles such as "Junior Member," "Member," etc., depending on how many messages you've posted. Those titles were preserved for older users once I upgraded the forum software.

The new software has a different set of title names -- "stranger" until you've posted 25 messages, and a different title each time you hit a 25-message mark. (I think it went to "newbie" after 50, etc.) I just changed those titles so there's two: Junior Member until you've posted 25 notes, and Member once you hit 50. DCSki Columnists are identified as a Columnist, and in the future, if DCSki offers a way of optionally contributing a small subscription fee, contributors will be identified as a DCSki Contributor.

Every poster on the forum must validate an e-mail address these day. (Until about a year ago, I didn't require that, but then spam started getting posted on the forums, and none of us want that.)

- Scott
JohnL
August 25, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Stranger is a bit harsh for a label; it implies someone has not registered, or is unwelcome, or is strange?

Let's not get too paranoid about new posters. EasternSkiBum posted an invite to ski Park City with the Crabtowne Ski Club, a well-known local club. I saw a similar invite for the trip on Epic; maybe from the same poster.

Welcome to DC Ski.
warren
August 25, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Cheryl,
Have you regestered as a DCSki member vs posting without logging in?

-Warren-
warren
August 25, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Cheryl,
Never mind, while I was posting my reply, I saw Scott's response. Welcome to DCSki

-Warren-
snowcone
August 25, 2004
589 posts
Hey Cheryl!

Just join! ... Its easy, doesn't hurt a bit ... I promise! Since we now know who you are ... maybe you could give us the heads up on any cool things going on with the Snowtime group .. such as changes/upgrades to Liberty physical plant ...

Snowcone (aka Robin, B. Basuel's running mate)
Roy
August 26, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
In a PM sent to me by Cheryl (EasternSkiBum), I feel she is legit and not a spammer. It was looking questionable from the first few posts.

I'm seeing more and more spam get posted and I feel a little protective of this site. This is the best forum on the web and I don't want to see it get slammed with mis-information.

ESB, welcome to DC Ski. Let the snow begin!

PS A-basin got a dusting last week. It's already starting
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 26, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Hi Roy,

I cannot stand spam, and so far we've been very lucky not to have problems here on DCSki. I'm thankful for that and will be vigilant to make sure it stays that way. Preventing spam is the primary reason why I decided to require Message Forum registration (which requires one to validate their "real" e-mail address) about a year ago.

The "comments" feature on DCSki (which allows you to append comments to the bottom of an article -- and will expand on the soon-to-be-launched "new" DCSki to allow comments to be appended to other resources, such as Resort Profiles) does not currently require registration, but I've implemented it with features to thwart automatic spambots. I haven't seen spam problems there so far, but if that becomes a problem, I may simply tie it in with the registration system for the Message Forum.

Also, when I talk about "spam," I'm talking about unsolicited messages (often posted automatically by scripts) that have nothing to do with Mid-Atlantic skiing and are of no interest to the DCSki Readership. I have no problems with folks pointing out special deals on skiing, talking about ski club trips, trying to sell a used pair of skis, and the like. There are even some Message Forums devoted to that -- such as "Classifieds" and the newly-created "Ski Club Ski trips" forum. And I also try to gather details about local ski resort specials to include in the DCSki Bargain Tracker.

I've said this before and will repeat it now: I'm very proud of DCSki's readers. They are mature, helpful to each other, and engage in very professional discussions. Such a strong community on the Internet is a rare thing indeed!

- Scott
EasternSkiBum
September 1, 2004
68 posts
Hey guys... the websites have now been updated for this year. Here's the official blurb on the advantage card program:

New for 2004-05!
Add a Companion Card for only $39

Now your friends can save too when you add a Companion Card to your Family Advantage Card! The Companion option allows the family to purchase up to two transferable passes that a friend or family member may use to receive a 40% discount on lift and lessons. The Companion Card is fully transferable, so it allows you to bring a different person each time. Each Companion Card may be used once per day, IN CONJUNCTION WITH a member of the family holding the Advantage Card who has also purchased a ticket. The Companion Card discount does not include rentals or the '6th visit free' benefit.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.