advice on where to ski this season
6 posts
4 users
1k+ views
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
February 5, 2002
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Did you see the Snowshoe website? They've had over a foot of natural snow in the past two days and besides their snowmaking continues unabated.

Lou

ndesai
February 5, 2002
Member since 02/5/2002 🔗
3 posts
yeah saw that, snowshow looks good, but it's a long drive from dc for a day trip. I was looking at either Whitetail or Ski Liberty, something within 3 hours of DC.

anyone know how the ski conditions are there (from experience, not from the website)?

PhysicsMan
February 6, 2002
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Liberty and Whitetail are terrible right now, but improving rapidly. They are blowing snow like crazy, and if the weather continues to be cold, they should be in great shape by the time you get here. OTOH, the base won't be huge, and a warm day with a good soaking rain could lay waste to these places.

My suggestion is don't make any hotel reservations until a couple of days b4 your trip, and ask the same question here at that time.

Tom / PM

PS - FYI, Liberty and Whitetail are more like 1:30 to 1:45 away from northern DC, MD 'burbs, and most northern VA 'burbs, ie, no where near your 3 hour limit.

ndesai
February 6, 2002
Member since 02/5/2002 🔗
3 posts
does anyone have any advice on which mountain close to DC (within 3 hours) is worth going to right now? I'm planning on going in 2 weeks, but the conditions look weak most everywhere, so any advice you might have would be great.

the group i'm with would be mostly intermediate, though I would be expert.

thanks!

ndesai
February 6, 2002
Member since 02/5/2002 🔗
3 posts
thanks for the reply! i am hoping that the cold weather allows them to make (and keep) tons of snow. keeping my fingers crossed....
finsoutoc
February 6, 2002
Member since 09/30/2003 🔗
172 posts
to be honest, i'd hit roundtop which is only about a half hour further than liberty. liberty had to be worse than roundtop but i think roundtop got to make more snow.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.