Park City Utah w/ Crabtowne Skiers
20 posts
9 users
19k+ views
EasternSkiBum
August 20, 2004
Member since 08/20/2004 🔗
68 posts
Hi all.... how'd you like to join some really fun people for a week in Park City??? We'll be skiing several resorts in Utah. My drop dead date on this trip is Oct. 4 so don't delay if your interested. Prices are double occupancy (4 to a condo), and this trip is sanctioned with Blue Ridge Ski Council. Get a few friends, and make your own condo group. Check it out here if your interested. Please feel free to post, or email any questions you may have.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7hzxt
comprex
August 20, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
ESB, welcome!

Out of curiosity, how much leeway is there on lift passes? It looks like you might have one day free, any chance of Snowbasin? (i.e. do we have independent transport for the week, or is it just a hop to the PCMR area?)
EasternSkiBum
August 21, 2004
68 posts
Hi Comprex... I've been lurking around this site for years. Otto and Jim are friends of mine from the mountain.

I may be going to do a day at Snowbasin instead of Alta/Snowbird. Snowbasin is 1 hr away from Park City, so to get there without the group you'd have to get some transport,and hope the canyon's not closed due to snow. The group will have a bus just for us for one of the days on the 5 day (that will be either Snowbasin or Alta/Snowbird). I will let the group consensus decide where. I can also get Deer Valley lift tickets for an extra cost.
comprex
August 23, 2004
1,326 posts
Quote:

Hi Comprex... I've been lurking around this site for years. Otto and Jim are friends of mine from the mountain.

Hey, that wasn't you on the lift last year as told me I was too entirely excited (about skiing)? 8pm+; Jim was caught in Friday traffic or summat?

IIRC, you were wondering what @#$@%$$!-head taught me to ski.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
EasternSkiBum
August 23, 2004
68 posts
No that wasn't me..... I'm usually in the Tavern that time of night with mug in hand.
EasternSkiBum
September 1, 2004
68 posts
Here's the update: I've just surpassed the 1/2 way full mark w/ serveral more potential sign ups coming in the next week or so. If you're thinking about coming along on the trip please contact me soon, or spaces will be gone.
EasternSkiBum
September 18, 2004
68 posts
Hi gang... I posted this question on Epicski, now I'm also asking you.

The Utah trip has stalled with sign ups, If I'm not close enough to full by the Oct. 4 deadline, then we may have to cancel instead of risking greater losses on deposits. I really don't want this to happen.

I have a question.... What is attractive/ unattractive about this deal??

It has also been said that some don't believe I'm for real because the package seems too good to be true. This is 100% up and up. Please contact me and talk to me before ever sending a penny. You can also check out the validity of the club by checking out www.crabtowne-skiers.org or linking to us via the BRSC website www.skicouncil.com.

This trip is sanctioned with the BRSC!!!

Help me save the trip from doom!!!!!
Roy
September 19, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Here's my 2 cents. I have a group I go skiing on a big trip every year. Currently we are going to Utah but the dates don't work out for us. Also, in the last 5 years, we have always managed to put together a cheaper place to stay than any package deal I've seen. Lot's of times this is because of knowing friends of friends that have places and we wind up lucking out. This year, we are looking slopeside in Utah for about $600 for the entire week (split amongst 6-8 people). A friend that owns a timeshare in our group came up with this.
(Anonymous)
September 19, 2004
The price points on this trip seem a tad high. Southwest offers RT tickets to SLC from BWI for about $208 over the Internet. That means that the price of the condo share is about $900 per person based on double occupancy. I've never been to Park City but from researching it extensively, I know one can get fairly inexpensive lodging within a 45 minute drive of the mountain. I suspect many people would rather skimp on lodging, and have a rental car to explore a different venue every day. That's what I would want to do.

Also, the dates may not be very good for some people. The trip falls right after the Christmas/New Years holiday, and is still early in the season. I've been known to make early season trips to New England--mainly to visit relatives. But I'd prefer to stay in the Mid-Atlantic until about the third week of January. Reason: if I am going to ski short days on manmade snow, I'd rather ski local resorts. For trips further afield, I like to go when the snowpack is more developed and days are longer. My next trip to VT will be mid-March as opposed to mid-December.

Most of the hard-core, ski faithful in the region count their vacation days very carefully, and think long and hard about their destination trips. When we get on a plane to ski, we want everything that this region does not offer: big vert., endless trail variety, dry powder, and fast lifts. Utah is a big draw because if you can visit multiple resorts in one trip, and is linked to DC via discount air carriers. Another big draw is the Tahoe for similar reasons. CO, however, still has its faithful, but it's snow record when compared to Utah has caused many to convert to Utah.

New England, btw, still has a strong following around here. It's great to be able to drive there with all your gear, and avoid the numerous hassles of flying. But the weather and snow conditions can be cruel. After the cold weather and horribly short days we experienced at Killington in December last year, I doubt I will ever be able to convince my wife to go to VT again early in the season. She'd rather pay a few bucks more and got to Utah.

The third destination option--kind of the road less travelled--is Europe. For a while, the high dollar made it a wonderful alternative to the West for East Coast types. But those days are long gone thanks to the new American peso. On a positive note, European carriers understand the reluctance of Americans to want to visit Europe these days and are softening the financial hit with some excellent deals. Austrian Air, for example, is a RT ticket from IAD to Innsbruck PLUS three nights of lodging at a three star venue for just $539:

http://www.austrianair-vacations.com/csinn_winter2004.htm

You can't beat that deal with a stick. For a few bucks more, you could extend that vacation and spend 3-4 additional nights at St. Anton--a quick train hop from Innsbruck.

My conclusion, therefore, is that $1,000 buys you a lot of different options as a DC based skier, and is a therefore competive price point in which to compete.
JohnL
September 19, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
Cheryl,

Roy and Anonymous (? = Johnfmh?) summarized the situation well. Utah is a tough sell for a group trip since it is so easy to plan a flexible, low-cost trip on your own.

I'm also not a big fan of Park City Mountain Resort. Skiing three days there is too much for me - compared to other options in Utah and out West in general. The town of Park City is a different story, but at this point, my ski trips stress skiing over nightlife. (I have other sources of decadence and debauchery in my life. )
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 19, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Quote:

Roy and Anonymous (? = Johnfmh?) ...

Hmm. This is the newest forum on DCSki and the default was apparently to allow anonymous posting. Normally I have that disabled. I just fixed that. (For some reason, if a post is anonymous, the author name is stored as "**DONOTDELETE**" in the database, which explains the strange text on the home page of DCSki for this thread.)

- Scott
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
September 19, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,991 posts
Hmm. That anonymous person was ME. Why did the software not post my usual userid??? Scott: any ideas?

John
snowcone
September 19, 2004
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
I have to help Cheryl out here: I don't know where anonymous is getting $900 for lodging, new airfare rates appx $250 and lift tickets alone will run you 300-350 leaving appx 500 pp for lodging which is very reasonable for 1 week in PC at a decent condo. Low cost housing (you can get away at $60-70 per night) in PC/SLC is very spartan to put it mildly. We tried that the 1st time we went to Utah and believe me, never again! About the cheapest airfare to SLC is Southwest and their rates went up this season to $250 range by the time you add in all the taxes and tariffs.

We are going to PC in February this year and our costs not including food/lodging (staying at my sisters place) is around $600 pp, plus the cost of the car. So you see Cheryl's trip is very reasonable indeed.

I think if the lift tickets weren't specifically tied to selected resorts that it might be easier to find takers. For instance, expert skiers would probably prefer Alta and Snowbird while intermediates would be more comfortable at resorts such as Deer Valley and Canyons. Is it necessary to book the lift tickets at the booking time of the trip?
Scott - DCSki Editor
September 19, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,251 posts
Quote:

Hmm. That anonymous person was ME. Why did the software not post my usual userid??? Scott: any ideas?

John

John,

You probably weren't logged in. (I think the forums automatically log out people from time to time.) Since anonymous posting was allowed, the interface would have looked almost identical to you -- with the reply and quote buttons active. If I had the settings on this forum correct, you wouldn't have been able to click reply, and would have realized you had to log in first.

That's my best explanation.

- Scott
Crush
September 19, 2004
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,274 posts
Hey you can stay at the Best Western in Park City in Kimble Junction for around $80 in-season. That is the best you can do ... even the Marriot at Prospector Square is aroung $120 in-season. The only way you could do better is to have a friend with a place in PC that will rent it out to you.
EasternSkiBum
September 19, 2004
68 posts
Thanks snowcone for the show of support. Thanks everyone else for your honest opinions. Here's the unfortunate reality of club trips.

You have to cater to the intermediate skier. It takes 25 people to get those group lift rates, so If I let people have flexibility we wouldn't have group rates. I'd have to do the trip without lift included, and that would never sell even as much as it has to club members.

The price point works out to be the best deal by setting up the lift tickets the way we have. Deer Valley (which many of my people want) is more expensive. Evidently a less than 3/6 day lift for Park City wasn't an option according to my vendor. We only have included bus transport one day which means only one day to go farther.

The history of this trip is that it sells very well normally. 2 other BRSC clubs are sold out with very similiar packages and pricing... just a little latter in the season. I'm still thinking that's my biggest problem.

Unfortunately my club handed me this trip as a back up leader when the original leader had to back out for work reasons. I therefore had no say in the setup of the package. I've been trying to do the best with what I've been given.
EasternSkiBum
September 30, 2004
68 posts
Here's an update.... the trip is going! I have 10 spots left at this moment (1 for solo guy/ 1 solo girl/ 2 twin bed guarentees/ 3 master bedrooms (for a total of 6 people))
Remember... there's also a sleep sofa in the living room for some flexibility.

We may swap a Park City day for Dear Valley... this will cost $25 more and will require the whole group to do it.

In addition, I have a few land only packages available.. contact me for pricing.

Contact me ASAP if you have any interest. Thanks
EasternSkiBum
October 15, 2004
68 posts
Update: I now have 8 spots left, I'm filling by 4s now. As I get a full condo, I'll book it. There are a few changes.... one of them being we are likely nixing the bus to Alta/Bird and replacing it with a day at Deer Valley. I've had too many requests to do that by the people going.
comprex
October 15, 2004
1,326 posts

ESB, will you be at the swaps tomorrow and Sunday?
EasternSkiBum
October 31, 2004
68 posts
Hi guys.... I haven't posted in a while. I'm at 26 people, and looking for 2 more to get the next condo. I probably will stop at 28. It's going to be a great trip.... looking for a couple or 2 singles of same sex or good enough friends to share a room. If I get a couple it will be the master bedroom, 2 singles get twins. I have just enough mix to be somewhat flexible with bedding.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?