* Corridor H Detour *
3 posts
3 users
bawalker
August 12, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
This is an update to my previous post.

For anyone traveling through this area make note that you should leave upwards of 45 minutes in advance if you are traveling to Canaan Valley or points westward of Baker, WV. As of Monday a detour is in place at the McCauley Bridges to allow cranes to be set in place to install girders for the bridges. The detour is fully open 24/7 although driving slows to about 10mph.

These girders, which are exceptionally large, are being transported from I-81 to Winchester, to US Rt 50, to SR 55 all the way to Pine Ridge access Rd. Crews have been holding up traffic upwards of an hour at some points while cranes lift just one girder into place over the current highway.

So if you are traveling this way on SR 55/259 be prepared for some lengthy delays for the next month.

Just another small update. The Lost River Sinks Bridges still haven't finished having the girders installed there. No other work has been done to the bridges there as wel.

A few piers still need to be completed at McCauley before the girders can be continued to installed into place. Look for work on both bridges to continue well into September with just getting the girders installed.

Depending on the weather this winter, the bridges will get completed either mid winter or this spring. Considering all of us want freezing temps with lots of snow to have an awesome ski season, and if that is the case then don't look for Corridor H's section to finish up well until April 05.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 12, 2004
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I'll take the delay if it means an awesome, cold, snow-by-the bucketful, New England-type winter.
SeaRide
August 12, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
bawalker

Thanks for the heads up. I have a small cabin up in the foothill near Moorefield. Since I was a kid, I have been going there for various activities.

I wonder how l o n g it will take to drive from the cabin (Moorefield) to Timberline/Canaan/Tory/Almost Heaven area using the Corridor H (when it's completed). I will probably find out in about ten years, eh?

- SeaRide
snowboarder since '99
ex-skier '84-'99

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.