Thanksgiving Ski in the DC area?!?
16 posts
9 users
2k+ views
Chrysolorus
August 11, 2004
Member since 08/11/2004 🔗
1 posts
My wife and I are new to the DC area. Are there any slopes open over Thanksgiving? If so, what mountains are open and how is their snow that time of year?

Thanks!
-Brian
JohnL
August 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
We definitely need to get a FAQ section going here on this site ...

Despite what may be stated on the web sites of ski areas, there is no guarentee that the areas will be open by Thanksgiving. Snowshoe (WV) is your best best. Seven Springs (PA) and Wisp (MD) are the next best candidates. If the areas are even open, expect limited open terrain. At least you are on snow, outdoors, and in the mountains. Check out the resort overviews on the hompage of DCSki, search the message boards for previous threads and look at the archive of articles. You should find plenty of info on lodging & dining options, travel directions, mountain impressions, etc.

Even if you went as far north as Vermont over Thanksgiving, many areas would still be closed and only very limited terrain would be available at the open areas.
JohnL
August 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Some possible FAQ's:

Where to ski over Thanksgiving, XMass/NYE, MLK, President's Weekend?

What local ski shops to check out?

What areas have the most challenging terrain for advanced skiers?

What areas/packages are the best for beginners?

What areas are the best for families or large groups?

What areas have the best terrain parks / half pipes?

Where to eat / sleep / & other-wise entertain your group?

I wouldn't expect Scott to do it all by himself, but if we divided up the work ...

The FAQ's could contain links to relevant articles, discussion threads & DC Ski poll sections.
DWW
August 11, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
I agree with John L. Snowshoe's probably your best bet. Based on memory, which is not great, they have been open Thanksgiving weekend maybe 2 out of the last 5 years (a 40% chance). Open means maybe 5 well covered top to bottom trails and a couple lifts. They don't open unless they are sure they can stay open (no starts and stops).
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
Norsk
August 12, 2004
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Another FAQ nominee:

What environmental and ski terrain damage was done to Blue Knob due to recent logging activities?

Or mayve we need a Frequently ANSWERED Question section for that one.
JohnL
August 12, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
August 12, 2004
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
Last Winter, Snowshoe was open about 50 percent the weekend FEFORE Thanksgiving and was pretty much complete by Thanksgiving Day.

Two Winters ago, Snowshoe was open 100 percent by Thanksgiving with "The Day After Tomorrow"-type snowfalls. It was an awesome year.

Three Winters ago, it was only partially open. If you remember, that year was awful everywhere.

These are fairly good odds. Actually, better odds than most of Mew England and even much of Colorado. Snowshoe's snow-making is probably one of the top two or three in the country, with the new turbine snowmakers everywhere. As long as there is cold there will be snow.

The good thing also is that the prices are much lower in Thanksgiving, they go up on Dec 1 or so.....
bawalker
August 12, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Alright that does it... who is setting up the carpool van to head to SnowShoe on thanksgiving? lol
jimmy
August 12, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Welcome, chrysolorus. These guys are a little punchy due to lack of snow. You got the right answer, but i'd like to plug my home hill, 7 springs. If anyone is open by thanksgiving, it will be snoeshoe and 7 Springs. Both are really neat ski RESORTS.

The FAQ you didn't ask is "Whats the best way to get to....?" 7 Springs is an easy drive, mostly interstate.

DCSki is a pretty fun forum; hope you check back again.

jimmy
JohnL
August 12, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Looks like Snowshoe opened Friday, December 5 last season (03-04). http://www.dcski.com/news/2003/12_05_2003/weekend.php3

The season before that, Snowshoe was not 100 percent open until early December.
http://www.dcski.com/news/2002/12_01_2002/update.php3
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 12, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
We haven't seen a Turkey Day opening at Snowshoe since I purchased my WV place in 2001.

Snowshoe strives the hardest for a Thanksgiving opening but it has proven an almost futile goal in recent years. Heck, it's tough for some of the VT resorts to open around this period.

In defense of Snowshoe, once the cold weather hits, the resort pulls out all the stops to get their "firstest with the mostest." Other places may open a bunny slope before Snowshoe but Snowshoe delivers big vert. skiing and major ski acreage faster than anyone else in the region. It's the only local resort I'd book in advance for an early December weekend.

If we get good snowmaking weather, I'll take the mid-atlantic any day over VT for December skiing. Why? More light and less cold.
JohnL
August 12, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
FWIW, my posts about FAQ's was a serious one; I wasn't trying to razz a newbie to this site. As Jimmy said, welcome to this site Brian. When you visit some local areas, let us know what you think.

Since a lot of people new to the DC area ask a lot of the same questions on the forum, I really do think a FAQ would be useful. Opinions?
Scott - DCSki Editor
August 12, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Quote:

FWIW, my posts about FAQ's was a serious one; I wasn't trying to razz a newbie to this site. As Jimmy said, welcome to this site Brian. When you visit some local areas, let us know what you think.

Since a lot of people new to the DC area ask a lot of the same questions on the forum, I really do think a FAQ would be useful. Opinions?

Already working on it for the "new" DCSki launching this Fall.

- Scott
jimmy
August 13, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
JohnL, I like the idea of linking FAQ's to "relevant articles, discussion threads & DC Ski poll sections."

How better to answer FAQ " What's the best/fastest/safest/dumbest way to get to Canaan Valley/Snowshoe....." than to link to an existing thread; there never seems to be one answer to many of these questions.

jimmy
JohnL
August 13, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Scott,

You may want to have a "public review" of any FAQ's you come up with. There is a wealth of knowledge among the posters here.

As Jimmy has said, I wouldn't expect any agreement on a FAQ concerning driving directions to WV or the state of the Blue Knob glades.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
August 13, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Quote:

Scott,

You may want to have a "public review" of any FAQ's you come up with. There is a wealth of knowledge among the posters here.

As Jimmy has said, I wouldn't expect any agreement on a FAQ concerning driving directions to WV or the state of the Blue Knob glades.

I think the best approach is an FAQ with some text written by Scott and if there are divergent opinions (that are valid), he can provide links to those discussions.

What's the best way to get to Snowshoe?

DC/MD: ....
VA: ...

Other opinions: links

Where can one find the best Glade skiing in the Mid-Atlantic?

Short description of BK glades
Short description of T-line glades

Opinions: links

What local resort has the most vertical?

Description of Snowshoe's Western territory

Opinions on this subject: links

What's the closest resort to the metro area?

No good area: Description of WT/Liberty/RT/The Nut

Opinions: links

You get the idea....

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?