Preparing for the `dilly in Chantilly
9 posts
5 users
1k+ views
bawalker
August 4, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
This month will be my first time attending the big sale of the Ski Chalet in Chantilly and may even bring several ski and boarding friends with me. I was wondering what to expect. Should I arrive at like 3am, camp outside so as not to miss all the deals before noontime? Oh wait thats 'Black Friday', nevermind. lol

Seriously though do good equipment, clothing, sales go really quickly? Do I need to park somewhere in specific, or is parking a problem at all? I'll be coming down I-66 from Front Royal and what is the best directions to get to it?
comprex
August 4, 2004
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
bawalker, I've been there on Friday in years past, and it was surprisingly slow. The best deals I've had were on top-end clothing from previous years and kayak gear that they might have one or two of.

Parking has never been a problem. (The online directions are spot on).

Saturdays are a zoo. Probably the worst time of the year to do a proper boot fit.

SC has published a list of discounted items in the past, and sent it to folks on their mailing list, but the really good deals (i.e. there's one or two of the item left among 5 stores) aren't in it.

For casual browsing on a Saturday, there is or used to be a ski/golf discounter near the old SC location too. Found $15 Marker spring gloves there once.
Roy
August 5, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
When is it this year?

I went last year on a Sunday afternoon. Busy but not too crowded. However, I knew exactly which skis I wanted and then poked around the clothes. There was still enough stuff left to ponder through.
warren
August 5, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Roy,
The 'Dilly in Chantilly' is from 8/20/04 - 8/23/04. Check out their web-site:
Ski Chalet Sale
I'm going to try to go on Monday 8/23/04 to check out some new boots

-Warren-
Roy
August 6, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Thanks Warren.
comprex
August 9, 2004
1,326 posts
So, who's bringing what for Tommy Moe to sign on Friday?
bawalker
August 9, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Now that I've had time to sit down again and think... I was wondering when it comes to winter clothing, what type of deals should I expect? I need a new pair of pants... or two. Definately a new knee brace or some sort of padding for my knees under the pants.

I take it most of the good stuff will still be there on Friday afternoon for me to pillage through and buy?
JimK - DCSki Columnist
August 10, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I'm bringing a DCSki ballcap for signing.
comprex
August 10, 2004
1,326 posts
bawalker, if you don't find it there, some of the other shops are having really good prices right now as well. I just bought TNF Hy-Vent (with spiderweb trim) pants for $83 from REI.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?