17 posts
7 users
2k+ views
shearer519
July 27, 2004
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
149 posts
Hey all
like I said before when I found the pics of blue knob I took last feb. I would post them. Well believe it or not they were still in my camera waiting to be devoloped . So I sent them out and just got them back today and here they are. As is usual the case I took a lot more in my memory then I actual did on film, oh well I guess these will have to do

PS
if anyone can help me title some of these slopes and trails(or check my names for errors) that would be great. I labled the ones I could but being there only once I didnt get much labled.

Blue Knob Pics Feb 04
Roy
July 27, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
shearer I need an account to access the photos. Suggestions?
warren
July 27, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Shearer,
Like Roy said, the album is not publicly accessable. I've created a DotPhoto account for myself but your album is not publicly searchable. There are instructions on either how to make it publicly searchable or also go to linking to DotPhoto under MyAccount We're anxious to see the pics!

-Warren-
shearer519
July 27, 2004
149 posts
sorry guys I didnt realize you couldnt see this. this whole thing is new to me I saw a friend with it so i signed up for the same thing so I could post the pictures I will look into it to see what I need to do or maybe move them somewhere else if I have to

Ok I should have it fixed there was a small tab I had to click that I over looked so now I hope you all enjoy the pictures
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI
JohnL
July 27, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
May want to check your settings on the site one more time. I registered and a security violation page was displayed when I clicked the link in your first post. My account name was displayed on the security violation page so I'm pretty confident I was logged into the site.

Did this after you submitted your edit to the previous post.

Anyone else have similar probs?
shearer519
July 27, 2004
149 posts
OK one last try I think I may have linked to the page wrong so try this new link I got here if this doesnt work then if someone can suggest a differnt place for me to place these pictures I would be very thankful

Blue Knob pics

<edit>
checked the link as a guest and it worked i dont think you need to be a member to see them either so I guess enjoy the pics
Roy
July 28, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
That works now. There's nothing like ski pictures in the middle of summer. Brings back some good memories.

I also think you've proven the point that the glades are still skiable. I've skied them with less snow than is in these pictures (end of March, sunny day, under the rope).
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
July 28, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Scott:

This post is a good example of how DCSki could benefit from having a place where members could upload ski photos and share them with the group. I think many people, myself included, would be willing to pay a nominal subscription fee for such a service--one that seemlessly links to the forum.
warren
July 28, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Shearer,
OK, your last link worked. I agree with Roy, there's nothing like a taste of winter in the middle of summer!! Hang in there, ski season's coming.

-Warren-
JohnL
July 28, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Shearer,

Works now. Thanks! Pix look great. Snow looks real good - looks like you chose a good day to go to the Knob. Your picture of Lower Extrovert has no bumps to speak of. That's pretty rare. When was this last year?

I'll post some comments at lunchtime.
bawalker
July 28, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I agree that DCSkiers need some space. Personally I'd like to think that regular members could get 2-5mb free with a standard account to manage, and then those who pay or donate could get 50-100mb.

On the flip side I have a server with 400gb of storage space that is only moderately used. I figure I'll use that. Speaking of which if *ANYONE* here on DCSki.com wants pictures stored please contact me and I'll gladly put up those pictures for you.
shearer519
July 28, 2004
149 posts
These Pictures were taken sometime near the end of feb. I remember that it was one of the last weekends of good snow cover. there was about a foot on the glades and maybe three on the slopes Extrovert that day was a pure sheet of ice not just ice snow like the rest of Blue Knob but the blue unskiable ice. Needless to say I saw a lot of people looking at it (myself included) but not a single person attempting it.
Mountain Masher
July 28, 2004
Member since 03/13/2004 🔗
541 posts
Thanks for the excellent pictures of some of the BK ski slopes. I would say that the snow coverage was at (or near) the best of the 2003-2004 season. Although it's hard to tell, I believe that the Glades pictures are as follows: #3 is the Ditch Glade, located near Stembogan; #s 7 and 4 are likely the Glades between Jack Rabbit and Mambo Alley (Triple Glades and Forever Glades). It should be noted that there isn't much of a sapling or brush problem in the Triple Glades area because any new growth is cleared out each Summer, which is quite easy for BK to do, given that those Glades are rather short. And, there hasn't been a sapling problem in the Ditch Glades because there isn't topsoil in that area. Another thing, that's evident in the Glades pictures, is the size of the trees; they are small to medium size.
shearer519
July 28, 2004
149 posts
Thanks for all the positive feed back of the pictures guys

Mountain Masher you are def. right about the trees being very small to medium size at best. After your comment I took a closer look at all the trees in the pics and noticed that glades or not, all the trees look very small, this makes me wonder if the entire mountian was logged at somepoint recently. I remember my place close to seven springs was sopposedly logged around the 1970's (according to the people who were around at the time) and the trees around there appear to be about the same size or slightly bigger.

Just one thing I noticed in one of the pictures. If you look down at the bottom of the Extrovert Picture If you look through the trees you can see the run out of what I believe to be the bone yard glades

One final note While the snow conditions were great that day I dont think they were the best of the season just because I remember that like 2-3 weeks before we got about 2 feet of snow up at Penn State. By the time we had left for blue Knob there was only 2-3 inches left so I can only dream about how much snow was actual up there at one point that season
JohnL
July 28, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Shearer,

It is always surprising how pictures (and home video) can be really misleading about slope details. From the picture, Extrovert looks like it is more wind-blown powder than icy; you said it was a sheet of ice that day. In the picture it looks like an easy slope; I know from experience it's anything but. That's actually a pretty steep section. (Looks like you took the pix from the lower of the two cat tracks.)

Picture 5 looks like the top of Jack Rabbit. Picture 4 is definitely one of the intermediate glades. Tough to tell what #7 is, but one of the intermediate glades is a good call. Picture 3 looks like the entrance of Ditch Glades from Stembogan.

When I've skied them, the intermediate glades have always had good cover like in your pictures. Ditch Glades has never treated my skis well. Even when the cover has looked good from Stembogan.
JohnL
July 28, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
On second thought, I'm not 100% certain if #5 is Jack Rabbit. I'm not sure if the condos should be visible at that point...

Bottom of the Extrovert picture is not a trail. To the far left (not visible) would be the exit from Shortway (great trail!). To the left of Shortway is the Bone Yard Glades.
shearer519
July 28, 2004
149 posts
Thanks guys for helping me name all the pictures I updated the names on them just now. Problems or not Blue knob is a excelelent place to ski for beginers and experts alike I got to go there that year because I had a friend who was taking a six week ski class with PSU (they give us credit to ski ) Well he wanted to try sking a real ski area before the end of the seaon and being that blue knob is the closet place to PSU we went on down there. I was really worried that it was going to be a bad place for him to ski at since he still hadnt gotten past wedgeing down the greens but blue knob turn out to be an excelent place for him to learn and it def increased his skill greatly by the end of the day he tried every upper mt slope except deer run and did it with out falling so basical while Blue knob has a reputaion for being an advance skiers mt it also is a great place for beginers too.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.