Ski Bus
18 posts
11 users
20k+ views
Dehlly
January 29, 2004
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
1 posts
Where can I find information about ski buses?
Please reply to Dehlly@yahoo.com
Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Dehlly (edited 01-29-2004).]

James_Gorman
January 10, 2005
Member since 01/10/2005 🔗
12 posts
Let every one know if you find out. I am seriously considering offering a service like this - so I can go sking more, take advantage of group rates wherever possible and call it business. Would a day triper to Timberline or 7 Springs or - insert name of resort - from say the a Metro accessable parking lot at 6:00 am returning that night by midnight work? Or would it be better to be gone for the weekend? Get me some feedback, is there intrest? Who would commit? What would you be willing to pony up for it? If there is emough intrest I will run one or two trips by the end of January. If any exist I would love to use them.

James
comprex
January 10, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
James_Gorman, I'd be willing to start even earlier, esp. if you can get us to 7S or Tline or CV or Wisp by 9am. I think Snowshoe is about the only doubtful candidate for this type of service.
kennedy
January 10, 2005
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
I'd be in definitely. Cost wise maybe $20-30
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
James_Gorman
January 10, 2005
12 posts
I am thinking a metro so those with out cars - ie college students, etc... are able to get there and get the first train over at like 5am. Like Shady Grove to head up to Wisp or 7S or Vienna to head over to the CV. That is my thinking.
twin58
January 10, 2005
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
No problem. Start here:
http://www.rideuta.com/Default.aspx

and go to this link:
http://www.rideuta.com/schedulesAndMaps/routeSchedules/?routeGroupID=8

When I was in SLC, I stayed downtown at the Travelodge, IIRC. I walked about a block to the UTA bus stop, got on, and went to Brighton for my never-ever lesson. I was so nervous. I think the fare was $4 or so.

The following weekend, I did the same thing, this time from Boulder. Friday night, I took the RTD bus from Stapleton to downtown Denver. I think I had to transfer to a bus to Boulder. The following morning, I walked from my deluxe hostel in Boulder (a real dump, it was not AYH) to the bus station and got on the bus to Eldora.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/SpecialRides/Ski_n_Ride/

In neither case did I need a car. It has been downhill ever since.

Oh, you meant here. Never mind.
Bill
January 11, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
I definately would be willing to go on a trip. The Ski Club of DC offers several bus trips each season (or at least they used to), Wisp runs usually left around 5am to get there when the slope opened. I think the cost was around $40 but that included snacks etc. on the way up. Its been over 10 years since I went on one with them, so a lot could have changed since then.

I think two pickup points would be good. One in DC close to Metro if possible, and another say around Fair Oaks Mall in Fairfax or someplace around Rockville perhaps. Depends on where you are headed.

You need to contact the group reservations folks at the various resorts to see what the requirements are, normally a minimum of 20 - 25 to get group rates (plus the group leader gets a free lift, and some places give out extra free lifts depending on the total number of folks).

Day trips are cheaper in that you don't have to worry about lodging. I would think that you should be able to get a bus + lift ticket for about $40-$50 per person assuming a 45 passenger bus, full.

Cheers!

Edit: Hmm, took a look at their website, and it looks like bus rates have gone through the roof. They no longer offer bus day trips, only 2-3 day trips etc. Cost runs about $400 and includes lodging, lift, party, etc. depending on where they are going. It may not be cost effective to try to bus. For day trips, I would suggest provide your own transportation (we could car pool possibly), and still would be able to get group rates. Just a thought.
James_Gorman
January 11, 2005
12 posts
That is exactly the impetus for this whole thing. I have spent the last several days going hither and you over the internet trying to find a way to go skiing, and share the tedium of the drive. It all started when I put together the ski trip for my Cub Scout. I found out that a Sunday (no night skiing on Sundays) lift and rental at Timberline was 18 for adults and 14 for kids (holiday weekends excluded). Group rates start with 20 people. So why is no one running groups up there every weekend? I am sure that there would be significant interest if the hassle of the drive could be minimized. So lets see what can happen.
Bill
January 11, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
As I said, I am certainly willing. I have a Dodge Dakota Quad cab that will seat four comfortably, with a fiberglass toneau cover for skis plus a four pair rack that fits on the cab.

If the wife goes, I can take two more with me, if not I can take three. I'm sure there are others that would be willing to drive/carpool.

I would say (if you want the freebie ticket ) to pick a date and slope, make a cut-off the week-end before to "sign-up", then, if you have the minimum number of skiers, contact the resort and order tickets. You normally can pay for them via credit card and pick up there.

Make it a "drive yourself/carpool" trip with a set meeting place and time. If everyone doesn't show, you normally can get rid of any extra lift tickets by standing outside the lift ticket windows and asking folks in line if they want a good deal. I have done that on many occasions when I used to run three day trips to Timberline back in the mid-90's. I never had a problem selling my extra's.

And yes, I would consider "giving free pointers" to beginning through intermediate level skiers on the trip,

Cheers.
comprex
January 11, 2005
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Bill, is that Bill H. by chance?

If so, I am very glad to see you post on this board!

PJ
twin58
January 11, 2005
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
"... Wisp runs usually left around 5am to get there when the slope opened...."

Well before Metro opens.

"Edit: Hmm, took a look at their website, and it looks like bus rates have gone through the roof."

Drat. I have reached the point that I can't take the drive on I-70 or I-270.
Bill
January 12, 2005
Member since 01/5/2005 🔗
42 posts
Yeppers, t'would indeed be me!
Aaron
January 12, 2005
Member since 01/12/2005 🔗
54 posts
I've been looking for a way to get to a mountain also. Mostly because I don't get my license until after ski season (I turn 16 in 3 days, license 3 months and 3 days) and my parents don't ski so they don't drive me. I'd be all for organizing 20 people and a bus, if your interested post or send me a message, and if I can get the people I'll be happy to organize anything. Or if anyone could give me a ride to a mountain I'd be happy to reimburse for gas etc and would be very greatfull.
Gary E. Cann
December 4, 2007
Member since 11/28/2007 🔗
6 posts
All ideas sound great. $20 bucks or so is not to much for a ride up and down.
mkingsbury
February 23, 2016
Member since 02/4/2016 🔗
2 posts

Hi all! If you found this posting and are looking for a Ski Bus, check out the article on DCSKI here about the new Ski Bus service as of 2016. (Full disclosure, I work for the company that's running it.)

jkaplenk
February 24, 2016
Member since 08/31/2015 🔗
45 posts

I lieu of a bus, it looks like there might be a need for some kind of permanent forum or website listing people providing rides and looking for rides.  A lot of localities have online programs or phone dial-in services for commuters, so it can be as simple or as complicated as someone wants and free or for the cost of providng the service. Of course people doing the listing should keep their listing up to date, like when they get a ride or have a full car. I think Craigslist has such a category, but Craigslist sometimes draws unsavory people. If enough people want a ride to a certain place then a van or bus could be rented and the costs shared.

This could even be extended to people looking for roommates for the overnight.

I'd be glad to share rides from Williamsburg as long as someone doesn't mind country music or NFL in season;-}

Joe

jkaplenk
February 25, 2016
Member since 08/31/2015 🔗
45 posts

I did a reply to this topic several days ago and it showed my name as having replied, but no text. It also showed the last comment was 8 years ago and the number of replies and comentators showed a lot less than was actually posted.

Anyway, I think an ideal setup would be to create a forum or find an app that can be used to link drivers and passengers. It would also be nice to include people needing roommates or house sharing. Craigslist has something, but in recent years it seems to have attracted some savory characters. Recently someone was killed by a roommate that had a listing on Craigslist.

Joe

Adamh21 - DCSki Supporter 
February 25, 2016
Member since 12/4/2008 🔗
26 posts

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?