8k+ views
youngoldtimer
November 25, 2002
Member since 11/25/2002 🔗
2 posts
188 K2 Mod 7/8 (excellent condition) - $250
----------

HISTORY:
Given to me as gift, but I already had other skis. I used it exactly 1 run - the original base wax is still visible. Edges, bases and topsheet are in mint condition - not even minor dings. No rust. Drilled once for Tyrolia PS 8's, but bindings are NOT included (already gone).
----------

DESCRIPTION:
This ski is almost exactly the same as the "K2 Axis" currently in shops and selling for $625 (list).

This K2 model has remained unchanged since its introduction in 2000-2001 season except for a change of name and graphics. Also, this model year still has the piezo damping circuit which was removed the next year because of patent licensing problems with the vendor.

My impression of this ski is pretty much like the reviews below. This is a good solid ski, especially good in difficult conditions - crud, slop, cut-up powder - Very stable, very damp, forgiving. Ski it at 188 (a bit longer than usual groomer sizing) for stability in difficult snow. The long length is not a problem, though since the softer flex and extra sidecut compared to Axis X and Axis X Pro makes this ski turn on a dime in soft snow & slop.
----------

PAYMENT and CONTACT METHOD:
If local in the DC area, we can just meet, you verify that the skis are as I described, and eliminate shipping and escrow/paypal and all the other normal internet selling hassles.

If you are not local, www.escrow.com is preferred (safer than Paypal for both buyer and seller).

If escrow.com is used, buyer pays escrow charges and I'll pay shipping within USA.

Contact me at yot0002001@yahoo.com

==================================

(If you already are familiar with the ski, you can skip the following sections)

AWARDS:
Ski Magazine's Gold Medal in 2000-2001
(I don't have a copy of the review issue for 2001-2002)
Editor's Choice and Best Buy in 2002-2003
----------

REVIEWS:

1) From the Sept 2001 Ski Magazine Buyer's guide (review #1 - p. 127):

Last year, k2 made a highly successful leap into high-tech, with the help of Boeing Labs and k2's glacier-mad engineer, Anthony DeRocco. The technology - called "Mod" for modular - subsumed an old, successful, wood-core construction beneath a second, new, rubber-lobed core. One ski with Mod technology, the 7/8, (70 mm waist, 18 mm sidecut) was such a forgiving, big-mountain ski last year, we gave it a gold medal. So k2 made it again but changed the name and the graphics to keep us honest. Now called the Axis, the ski still feels like an agile bulldozer in softer snow. " Best at busting through your first powder and crud," said Delliquadri. "Burly". Heavier skiers looking for technical support will love them. "The wider shovel makes it easy to start turns," said Morgan. "And it has more float than others in the category." Our biggest tester, Cutts, called it, "Best in Show".
+ Big skiers will have instant success in powder and crud
- Too much ski for lightest skiers.
----------

2) From Skiing Mag 2002 on-line gear review:
http://www.skiingmag.com/skiing/gearfinder/product/1,15042,ski138-2002,00.html

Price: $ 625
Ski Type: freeride intermediate
Lengths Tested: 174,181
Tip/Waist/Tail: 111-70-101
Long turns/stability: A
Short turns: A-
Moguls: B+
Forgiveness: A-
Crud/powder: A+

Nutshell:
A true all-mountain freerider, it was the number-1 ride in its category. It's a 4WD ski that's easy to drive, stable, and smooth. It floats in powder and arcs on groomed. Simply put, it'll master anything on the mountain with panache.
----------

3) From Peter Keelty 2002:

K2 Axis - All Terrain - Experts & Intermediates - Versatile all terrain ski, solid at speed, manageable at lower speeds, smooth, holds well, forgiving, but capable of high performance - C-4,SK-4,R-4,ST-4,Q-4,T-3,W-4,D-3 ( carving, skidding, rebound, stability, quickness, tracking, weight, forgiveness; 5=best possible score, 3 = average ) - 111/70/101
----------

4) From Sept 2002 Ski Mag (p.131):

With all the emphasis in this category on wile eyed, white knuckled upside potential, it nice to find a ski that is nothing more than a welcome home sign made of wood and fiberglass. The Axis earned universal raves for "calm, confidence inspiring performance" as Sabanosh puts it. "Do it all - carving, gliding, you-name it - without excessive energy". The snappy wood core, wrapped in fiberglass is calmed by k2's highly effective Mod damping technology - an elastomeric secondary core that quiets vibrations to keep the ski snow-bound. "Marvelously versatile," say Campbell. "Polite, soft-spoken, easy to mange, but with real strength of character." The k2 Axis is "playful and exuberant in softer snow," says Cutts, "and highly forgiving". All testers noted the uncanny sense that the Axis had been custom-built for them, adapting "to almost any technique," says Thoren. Forgiveness (#3) and amazing versatility of turn shape; almost any technique works.
----------

5) From the Winter 2000 Ski magazine Buyer's guide (p.123):

"Mod" isn't just a lifestyle, it's a glass-smoothh ski technology that will make you feel like the world just lost its mean streak. Life can still be tough, of course. But with an innovative, rubbery core-like "module" that sits atop the shovel of the ski, insulating your from vibrations in the main fir/spruce core of the ski itself, the 7/8 may be your ticket to quick, gentle improvement. "It made me feel great immediately," said Palmer. "Performs slowly as well as it did at higher speeds. Very versatile." One of the most forgiving skis in the test, the Mod 7/8 felt "both reactive and solid," Nicole Pelletier said. "even felt great in crud. Perfect for the skier who is ready to break out of the slow-paced groomer prison." Roth agreed the 7/8 is "for when you want to loosen the tie and have fun - just ride it right over the middle of the ski and let it do the work." Just right for a non-aggressive skier who craves smooth, easy performance. "Precise but not uptight," Cutts said, "even in deeper snow"

- TM

youngoldtimer
December 11, 2002
Member since 11/25/2002 🔗
2 posts
Still available.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.