Wintergreen?
6 posts
3 users
(Anonymous)
January 27, 2004
Maybe you guys can help me out with this dillema: I'm getting a bit bored of going to the usuall local hills (Whitetail, Liberty, Roundtop) for day trips, I have even go as far as Wisp for the day. I would also consider BlueKnob (but it seems like they have sub par conditions even with all of this snow!). I've also been to Seven Springs plenty of times so that one is out...basically my question is how about Wintergreen?. On their website it says that driving time from the metro area is 3 hours. Their 1000 vert seems respectable??? should I consider going or would Whitetail save me the extra 2 hour drive?
(Anonymous)
January 28, 2004
variety is the spice of life!Make a w-end out of it.the blue ridge are beautiful.You can stay in charlottesville(super8 is cheap & pet friendly)ski both massanutton & wintergreen.Both have 1000'vert with decent lifts.You go boy...send us your report!
(Anonymous)
January 28, 2004
Haven't been to Wintergreen. I live close to Massanutten and it's good for a day trip. Skied there Sunday night and had a good time. All trails are open with plenty of snow. We got about 2 inches yesterday. Harrisonburg is only 15 minutes away if you want to spend the weekend.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,966 posts
I'd try Blue Knob over Wintergreen. They are both about 3-3.5 hrs from DC. BK might be slightly closer and it would definitely address your boredom issues. If you're a good skier/boarder after all the wintry stuff we've had lately there has got to be some good stuff somewhere on that adventurous mtn. I've done Wintergreen and Mass many times, including the combo of both on consecutive weekdays (got in a lot of cruising). But both are only moderate in the challenge dept. Wintergreen on weekends can be really crowded, at least it was throughout the '90s when I visited it once or twice a year. I haven't been there in about 5 yrs. Mass can be too, but has nice expert quad which is rarely mobbed.
rmcva
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/28/2004 🔗
187 posts
I've been skiing nearly all local areas (7S, CV, TL, WT, SS, etc) for years and finally decided to try WG on 1/19. All slopes were groomed and lots of fun, if groomed is what you like. No bumps anywhere so you bump lovers may not like it. The place was extremely crowded and I was told by others there that it's always crowded. Getting to the slopes from where I parked (Lot E) was a long hike up hill. Lift lines took up to 25 minutes except for the lift on the black trails which was only a two chair wait at worst times. The view of the nearby mountains was great. They were also having some problems with one of the lifts. Overall, I like the trails but found it very crowded (lots of people on the slopes). I guess I've gotten spoiled taking vacation leave to ski weekdays instead of weekends.

If you like long groomed trails - try it.

(Anonymous)
January 29, 2004
Wintergreen is a nice resort with great conditions right now. But it gets ridiculously crowded on weekends. I've waited as long as 30 minutes before in the lift line. To me, waiting in any lift line for 20+ minutes at the bottom is too much. Also, it tends to be on the higher end price wise. That said, it is an easy drive, the terrain is nice, the weather is usually accomodating and the view from the top of the mountain is gorgeous.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.