The 'Line'
12 posts
8 users
3k+ views
canaanman
January 21, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
So recently I've been searching for 'The Line', you know, the best route down any Mid-Atlantic resort. Not just one trail, but a mixture of trails... some woods skiing between trails and such. It's getting pretty old to just head down the same old trails again... I need variation. Let's hear about favorite lines on the hills and what makes them so great.

Personally, for me, I found a line that is almost heaven. It's at Timberline, and involves quite a bit of trails and sketchy skiing.

Start at the top. Head down Upper Thunderdraft (if its open) or Thunderstruck. Right after the large bend in the trail, head off into the woods for some excellent glade skiing. Just ensure there's enough snow. You'll pop out on Almost Heaven up by Hiz. Either take that back across and head off the right side of Lower Thunderstruck into the edge of the woods for more great skiing, or over to Pearly Glades. Occasionally you can ride from the upper part of Lower Almost Heaven down to the trail leading to the halfpipe, then around that watertower and into Lower Thunderstruck. Only on powder days though. For me, that is the line.

JohnL
January 23, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Great idea for a thread.

I'll post some of my favorites one of these evenings. Work is getting hectic.

Roy
January 24, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
This isn't much of one but it's become my favorite this year. I'm working at Liberty this winter and this has become my favorite way to the frontside and back over to the ski school.

From the top, take White Lightning (black run). It makes a sharp dogleg left and there is a small lip. Hit it fast and you get some racer air (make sure no one is below you as you approach). The trail winds nicely down with trees on either side and you feel secluded for a short while. Near the end, there is an opening to your right that will put you on lower Blue Streak (normally with a small jump). From here I ski to the bottom.

JohnL
February 16, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
OK, I'm now fully-certified to comment on T-Line.

C-Man,
How high up do you first enter the glades? Above, below, or at the cut-through which joins The Thunders with Almost Heaven? I was looking for your line this past weekend. I ended up entering the glades just below the cut-through from Almost Heaven. There was a bit too much underbrush and a bit too much fallen debris (twigs, branches) above my entry point for the bottoms of my skis. I didn't find much powder in the trees this weekend. Still had a lot of fun, though.

JohnL
February 16, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
My T-Line line:

1) Start off by bouncing a few bumps under the chair at Upper Thunder Draft.
2) At the merge with Upper Thunder Struck, stick to the right (under the chair). Ski off and on the snow-making ridge. (You can catch some surprising air going from right-to-left back onto the main trail surface. Watch out for the chairs above.)
3) Cut to the right at the Pump House. Skier's right had some nice windblown pow this past weekend. There's a stump or two on that line which seems to discourage most, but there was good cover around the stumps.
4) At the traverse (after the woods exit), cut to skier's left (towards the racing area) into the next set of woods. Ski just to the left of the mini-gully, and ski in the gully where the coverage is good. There is a downed tree half-way down the gulley @ naughty bits level, so beware. Limbo anyone? A bit too adventerous for me.
5) If NASTAR is over, exit onto Lower Thunderstruck. (Otherwise bushwack to White Lightning.) If you make it to Thunderstruck, ski the right side of the trail, skiing from the trail up to the side of the hill and back.

Congrats. You've milked every last bit of terrain possible in that one run.

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 02-16-2004).]

canaanman
February 22, 2004
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
<<C-Man,
How high up do you first enter the glades? Above, below, or at the cut-through which joins The Thunders with Almost Heaven? I was looking for your line this past weekend. I ended up entering the glades just below the cut-through from Almost Heaven. There was a bit too much underbrush and a bit too much fallen debris (twigs, branches) above my entry point for the bottoms of my skis. I didn't find much powder in the trees this weekend. Still had a lot of fun, though.>>

Yeah, the entrance on that is a little botched in my first post. When you see the cutover to Almost Heaven on trail left, go down around a slight bend and into the trees off to the left of the trail. You can go in above, and I did do it a few weekends back, but its very tightly wooded, and rought to get through, especially with skis.

I found an awesome line today, that usually isn't there. Came down towards the halfpipe on that cutover trail and right below the lift tower beside the water tower I ripped one big carve around this drift of powder encircling the water tower, shot down to the gully below, hopped the creek and skidded through a few trees onto the bunny slope.

jimmy
November 1, 2006
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey JohnL ur right this is a good one

Quote:

2) At the merge with Upper Thunder Struck, stick to the right (under the chair). Ski off and on the snow-making ridge. (You can catch some surprising air going from right-to-left back onto the main trail surface. Watch out for the chairs above.)

Found it last february, fresh snow over my boots down where the nasty groomer culdn't get, and two sets b4 me. Seems i remember i got a turn or two in b4 realizing the chairs might be a hazard. Dropping off to the right was like floating ....

24 dayz to freedom
warren
November 2, 2006
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
John/Jimmy,
Been there, done that one UR right!

-Warren-
JimK - DCSki Columnist
November 2, 2006
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Good topic. These are kind of obvious.

When the natural snow conditions are good at Blue Knob there are lots of glades to explore, but if you're talking marked trails with maximum vertical and minimal skating & run outs: start from the summit by warming up on Upper High Hopes, then bear left onto Shortway, pass across Mambo Alley and enjoy a narrow and steep descent. They don't call it Shortway for nothing. It will bleed into the bottom of the Mambo Alley runout not far from the base of the two double chairs.
Might not want to take your new $700 skis on this route if poor cover or your ancient 205cm skis due to tight turns.
BK trail map: http://www.skitown.com/gfx/trailmaps/pa03tm01f.jpg

It's hard to get real creative at some of our local hills. If you stick to any of the steeper runs on the backside of Liberty you get a brisk, if short fall line run. I enjoyed Eastwind in this area even on a day last year when snow conditions were heavy and slow.
Liberty trail map: http://www.skitown.com/gfx/trailmaps/pa21tm01f.jpg

At Wisp go over to the never too crowded Main Street run and do laps directly under the chairlift where you can often find nice piles of loose, dry, manmade snow and a few natural moguls.
Wisp trail map: http://www.skireport.com/maryland/wisp/trailmap
JohnL
November 2, 2006
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Jimmy,

Looks like you brought a long-lost thread back to life.
RobertW
November 2, 2006
Member since 10/14/2004 🔗
199 posts
Quote:

It's hard to get real creative at some of our local hills.

That's for sure...lines are more like segments around here. Since Wisp and 7Springs have been my "home" hills of late, I'll offer a few. I spend 99% of my time at these areas during the week so your mileage may vary on weekends.

At Wisp in addition to the always wonderful Main Street, explore the trees in and around Devil's Drop (Near the #1 Quad). Lots of ways to get in here and there doesn't seem to be a lot of people in there during the week. Have found untracked (both natural and man-made) well into the afternoon.

At Seven Springs, Take either North Face or Giant Boulder to where Giant Boulder turns sharply to the left near the bottom. Ski through the trees into the funky little bowl under the North Face Quad. Gets lots of wind-blown natural and man-made powder and has an interesting fall line that can be skied various ways. There are often deep powder holes and small cornices. The glades to the far left on Alpine Meadows (the old Sunrise-Sunset lift line) also benefit from lots of wind-blown snow.
kwillg6
November 3, 2006
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Yo, Jimmy. Maybe THIS will be the YEAR that we can find a new line on the western face of t-line. With twister, (aka Byrd's Drop) there are endless possibilities over there. Only waiting for enough snow to make them possible. Let's see... How about 18-20" of heavy wet in early December. Let it pack down real good with a quick warm-up then let it get real cold and set up. Then get another 20"+ in mid December when the snow making is going full blast, opening that whole area for us to go bandit in.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?