First Timers w/ kid
11 posts
7 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
January 20, 2004
Help! We live in Puerto Rico and will be visiting VA. We would like to go sking. My husband would also like to try snowboarding, he thinks it will be like surfing. We also have a 5 yr old. I would suggestions for a resort that has activities for my little one. Also, is it worth paying the extra money to stay at the resort or should we go to a nearby budget hotel? All and any suggestions are welcome. Jan
skidmo
January 21, 2004
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
A little more information would help us help you. Where will you be in Virginia? How much skiing do you intend to do? One day? Three? More? As for other activities, do you want other outdoor activities (tubing, skating, etc.) or cultural type activities (historic sites, movies, etc.).
skidmo
January 21, 2004
32 posts
Quick edit. Sorry, I went back read your message, you want activities for your five year old at the resort. It would still help to know the other information though. Including whether you'll have a car for travel.
gatkinso
January 21, 2004
Member since 01/25/2002 🔗
316 posts
Since it sounds like you are all beginners I would say any of the VA resorts on this site would be fine for you.

As far as the hotel goes, I generally pay to be close to the slopes.

(Anonymous)
January 22, 2004
Boricua here again. We will be staying in Northern VA and are willing to drive no more than 4-5 hrs. Is there such a thing as ski camp for kids? Outdoor/indoor activities are fine - no culture please. We are all first timers and are very excited to see the snow!!!! Gracias - from Puerto Rico
warren
January 22, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
Hello,
I can tell you that in Timberline and Canaan Valley, they have a Ski and Play all-day program. Snowshoe mountain has a very good all-day program as well. My daughter has been in their program for the last several years and has really enjoyed it! All of the ones I've mentioned have an all-inclusive fee for the Lesson, Lift, Lunch, Snacks, and Rentals (we get a small credit back as my daughter has her own skis). I hope it works out well for you where you decide to go! Have fun!! (Que te vaya Bien)

-Warren-

[This message has been edited by warren (edited 01-22-2004).]

cjanak
January 22, 2004
Member since 01/22/2004 🔗
15 posts
I think any of local resorts will be fine. However, I think Bryce Resort, VA is an excellent place to learn. Bryce resort is a small, friendly, member-owned resort with modern rental gear, excellent instructors, very gentle beginer areas, and a warm and comfortable atmosphere. I think they offer a pretty decent first-time ski package as well. Condos, Townhouses, and Chalet's are available to rent. Also, there's a Best Western (or Quality Inn?) about 15 minutes away. I think the small size and managable terrain make it a good choice. It's only about 1 hour and 45 minutes away from Northern VA. The only closer resorts to you will be Whitetail and Ski Liberty, both about an hour and a half away.

[This message has been edited by cjanak (edited 01-22-2004).]

cjanak
January 22, 2004
Member since 01/22/2004 🔗
15 posts
Bryce, as well as some other area resorts, offer the SKIwee program. SKIWee is a nationaly accredited program for young kids ages 5-12. Resorts that don't have SKIWee usually offer their own kids programs like the ones Warren mentioned below.

Roger Z
January 22, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
2,181 posts
I know this cjanak fella. Don't trust a word he says. Just kidding. Welcome aboard!
skidmo
January 22, 2004
32 posts
The time you're arrivaing may play a role as well. Depending upon when you get here, Bryce could be a great choice. If it's later in the season, however, you may want to go to canaan valley or Snowshoe, both of which will have snow longer than Bryce. If it's real late in the season, you may be limited to Snowshoe (which is hardly a bad thing). You will have a blast at any of those resorts.
Scott - DCSki Editor
January 22, 2004
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
I'd recommend checking out The Homestead, too -- beautiful and historic resort with tons of activities for the whole family, located in Virginia. There isn't a ton of terrain but it would probably be very uncrowded, and enough terrain to keep beginners busy.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?