Skiing alive and well in Indiana?
9 posts
7 users
1k+ views
DWW
January 19, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
Perfect North slopes in Lawrenceburg Indiana is just accross the Ohio river from Cincinnati and Northern KY. It is a small local hill (23 trails 400 foot verticle) with some snowmaking. It has been fully open since mid December. I mention this because many people from this area go to Snowshoe (about 7 hours). The slope has been very busy this year (probably a record year for them). Many improvements after last years record year. Many families and lots of young kids. I see this as a good sign that the sport is alive and well. The resorts that execute well should have no problem getting business. The demand is there. Much of the business in the Mid Atlantic comes from the midwest (Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana).

Jules
January 19, 2004
Member since 03/9/2004 🔗
9 posts
I agree. As a matter of fact, my family went to PNS this past Friday. We had an awesome time. The ski school was helpful and the conditions were perfect. We live 3 hours from skiing whether you drive N,S, E or W. I'd definitely return to PNS.

Jules

Norsk
January 19, 2004
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
I've heard that Spicy Run Mountain in southern Ohio is a pretty good hill and sports a 600+ vertical. Anyone been there?
NCskier
January 19, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
Isn't Spicy Run a lost ski area? I've never skiied there, but someone said that it was lost on another forum.

Don't forget a lot of business comes from ATL, SC, and NC.

DWW
January 20, 2004
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
Spicey Run, east of Cincinnati, is no longer open. I think they did have some decent vertical - but couldn't make money. If they would have held out another year, they could have had a good season last year and this year.
ICEHOCEY77
January 20, 2004
Member since 12/11/2003 🔗
17 posts
Back when I lived in Nashville, I went to Paoli Peaks... their big "run" was a Jurassic park that had colored snow...
(Anonymous)
January 20, 2004
I can't believe anyone else went to Paoli! I grew up skiing there. The slopes seem much bigger when you're much smaller! The Mid-Atlantic is amazing in comparison! Oh, and Perfect North is actually a pretty good place to go if you're in the middle of the midwest!
Buckeye Skier
January 20, 2004
Member since 01/11/2004 🔗
54 posts
That may have been my post that NCskier is talking about on skimaps.com. Spicy Run was my dream come true. I live about an hour and a half from where it was. It had 600 ft. vertical and some pretty steep runs. They definitely could have used more snowmaking. It had a big enough hill to make you feel like you were really skiing, something you can't find in Ohio. It seems as if the original owner didn't have the capital he really needed to sustain in the long term. The place really had potential but I guess the owner's pockets weren't deep enough. I have heard it was auctioned in eight different tracts, so reopening will probably never happen. So I'll just make the road trip to 7Springs or Canaan/Timberline or Holiday Valley to get some leg burning runs going. Spicy Run was kind of like Laurel Mtn., a really nice hill that nobody knows about.I keep my fingers crossed that Laurel Mtn. will reopen next year.
NCskier
January 20, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
Yes, Buckeye skier, that was your post I was talking about on skimaps.com. Everyone should go there and use its forum.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.