drive time-canaan to snowshoe
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
myrto
January 24, 2002
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
We are going to be at Canaan Valley saturday through tuesday. It is looking as if most of snow may be washed off the mountain by the end of our trip so I was wondering if anyone has made the drive from Canaan to snowshoe and if so how long is it and whats the best route.

Why are the weathermen always wrong when they call for snow and right when they call for rain?

AAAAAAAAAAAgh!

Rich
January 24, 2002
Member since 11/30/2000 🔗
194 posts
I did it all the time. From Canaan, I just went to the bottom of the mountain to Harmon and made a right to Elkins, then just head South.

Report back. Canaan had a water shortage - limited or no snow making...but all this rain ?????

[This message has been edited by Rich (edited 01-24-2002).]

myrto
January 24, 2002
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
I know that even when I cannot count on cold temperatures in January (what is this region comming to)I can still count on my friends at DCSKI.

Thanks

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 25, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
I made the roundtrip three times this year. It can be done in about an hour and 50 minutes give or take.

32 to Harmon
33 to Elkins
219 to Snowshoe

The only major climbing is over the Cheat Mountain range on 33 heading to Elkins and the final 6 mile climb up to Snowshoe Village. Most of the drive is in the Tygert Valley, and is quite pleasant and scenic.

Be advised that the brown mileage signs to Shoe (you see the first one just after McDonalds in Elkins) are calculated to the base of the mountain. Add 6 miles to get the REAL mileage.

JDS

PS Kroger is a good place to pick up groceries on the way back.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?