Best skiing within 2 hours of DC?
6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
December 4, 2003
Can anyone tell me which ski area is best for day trips from DC for quick fixes?

Intermediate skier. Can handle double blacks at Timberline. Mostly just want to warm up for the season. Will be going mostly weedays, Thurs and Fridays.

Thanks!

JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 4, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Here's one relevant thread: http://www.dcski.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000074.html
Fish around in this msg board to find more. Or just standby, you should get some feedback from others.
tromano
December 5, 2003
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Whitetail? probabbyl won't be open for afew weeks.
Scott - DCSki Editor
December 5, 2003
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Actually, Whitetail is opening tomorrow (Saturday) with at least one beginner trail.
jimmer
December 9, 2003
Member since 11/25/2003 🔗
53 posts
If you're looking for Conditions - go to Roundtop (approx 30 min north of Liberty).

If Roundtop is too far - Libery is 2nd best for conditions of the 3 closest resorts.

For Vert drop - Whitetail is 300ft taller than Libery & Roundtop (both around 600ft with Whitetail at 900).

My personal opionion... I live 15 minutes from Whitetail & 45 from Liberty. I still teach at Liberty 3 nights a week instead of choosing the much closer Whitetail. The terrain difference of WT can't make up for the conditions at Liberty.

(Anonymous)
December 11, 2003
Thanks!
Just what I was looking for.
Was never able to get anyone to articulate the diff. of the closer resorts (to DC).
Was actually going to head up to Liberty this morning, but things didn't look good, from the rain to the warm temp. Keeping my fingers crossed for next Thurs or Fri. !

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?