5 users
1k+ views
JohnL
December 3, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
From Timberline's website:

------------------------------
Timberline opened new gladed areas this year. The primary new area is from the mid-station pump house down to the mid station lift shack and from the lift
line to White Lightning. We haven't named the trail yet. We may open that up to the public for suggestions.
------------------------------

Suggestions?

canaanman
December 3, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Poached Glades... they've already been skied and snowboarded out... I might have contributed to that last season. How could you resist... such nice powder and openness in there before they got them ready to be glades.

JohnL
December 3, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,562 posts
The Glades Formally Known as Canaanman's Private Stash?
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,992 posts
How about "Flying Squirrel Glades" in honor of the very famous but ever illusive WV Flying Squirrel. This would follow in the tradition of Salamander--a trail named after the Cheat Mountain Salamander (another endangered species in the Allegheny Highlands).

For a picture of the little beast:

http://www.dnr.state.wv.us/wvwildlife/nfs2.htm

Norsk
December 3, 2003
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Cherry Pits Glades?
(Anonymous)
December 3, 2003
Pump house glades!?!They butt up or end at white lightning so how about WHITE GLADES Or lightning glades
canaanman
December 3, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
<<The Glades Formally Known as Canaanman's Private Stash?>>

Nah, Cherry Bowl will always be my secret stash, that and a few driveways in the residential area.

Why not just like spread Lower Thunderdraft throughout them? Just call it lower thunderdraft.

(Anonymous)
December 4, 2003
I'm with Andy, I like Pump House Glades. It makes sense because they are located below the pump house on skiers right of Upper Thunder. Everyone sees it from the lift and its a good landmark.
(Anonymous)
December 4, 2003
Opps misread Andy's post.

Canaanman, If you thought they were good skiing before, wait till you see them this year. That area is beautifully cleared up underbrush and should be great skiing.

canaanman
December 4, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
You know there's an impressive natural rainbow between The Drop and Silver Streak... completely perfect in every manner.
canaanman
December 14, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Long story short, the lower portion of the glades are excellent. And yes, I had first tracks through them on Friday... followed shortly by a whole lot of other tracks (by other people).

One suggestion, make an EXIT to those things. Dropping off a foot high ledge onto a flat, hard surface is NOT healthy. Could you ask the grooming team to smooth that ledge over at the bottom of them, please?

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?