Scott: We need a Doug Hill Java Voodoo Doll
10 posts
6 users
1k+ views
Otto
November 24, 2003
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
Old Doug's back at it again - expressing unfathomable joy at unseasonably warm weather.

Scott: It's time for somebody who knows Java or Flash or something to give us a Doug Hill Voodoo doll....

(For the uninitiated, Doug Hill is a DC TV weatherman who just loves to gush about mild winter weather... GRRRRRRRRRR........)

JohnL
November 24, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
While we're at it, we may as well build a second voodoo doll for Sue Palka of Fox. She was raving about this past warm weekend as being a "November bonus". Seems like most of the local weathermen/women and the local anchors are not skiers or fans of winter - they always seem to rave about a warm spell in the colder months.
JohnL
November 24, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
At least Bob Ryan will frequently introduce a weather point with "For all you skiers out there ..."

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 24, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
There's one weatherman we can all count on:

Herb Stevens, the Skiing Weatherman

There's no question about his view of winter sports.

His reports focus mainly on New England but he usually throws in at least a paragraph on the Mid-Atlantic. His web site, www.skiingweatherman.com, claims it will be offering an updated report tonight. Keep your fingers crossed.

(Anonymous)
November 24, 2003
If I recall correctly, I think that it was Bob Ryan who (some years ago) pointed out that, from a statistical standpoint, winters that followed a mild November have been mild approx. 66% of the time. So, although it's not definative, it's somewhat likely that the mid-atlantic will have a normal to milder than normal winter this season. Also, there have been near-record lows in Alaska recently; also somewhat of an indicator that it will be mild this winter along the east coast of the continental US. At any rate, I think that it is safe to say that this winter will be milder and shorter in duration than last winter.
(Anonymous)
November 25, 2003
When i lived in the dc area none of the dc weather people new a thing about wv. they based all thier mtn f-cast on garett co,md.Garett would have flurries & wv would be getting 3 to 5 inches.I would call all of them & say tucker co over & over untill they threatened me with harrasment.Actually doug hill was the meanie + he had a bad experience up at wisp. I think he fell & got too cold too many times. Topper shut finally listened to me & called canaan vly resort to verify thier snow amounts. He was so impressed he did a segment on canaan vly. I had friends living in davis & sue palka would get reports from them. Do they ever mention tucker co now?
canaanman
November 25, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
<<Old Doug's back at it again - expressing unfathomable joy at unseasonably warm weather.
Scott: It's time for somebody who knows Java or Flash or something to give us a Doug Hill Voodoo doll....

(For the uninitiated, Doug Hill is a DC TV weatherman who just loves to gush about mild winter weather... GRRRRRRRRRR........)>>

I'll see what I can do...

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
November 26, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
News Channel Eight does a very good job and also runs The Skiing Weatherman. I think it is unfair to condem the station and Doug Hill for occasionally ignoring skiing in favor of other sports. If you haven't noticed folks, skiing is not the most popular winter activity in the Mid-Atlantic. More people play golf in this region in the winter than ski. Therefore, if Doug gets excited over a warm weekend in Nov., who can blame him. Most people are only too happy to get out in the sun on their bicycles or simply take a stroll in the park.
kennedy
November 26, 2003
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
You have to remember that these are the same people who panic over a [articularly heavy dose of rain. Seriously they are the biggest scare mongerers I've ever seen. I'm convinced they are getting kick backs from dairy farmers and bakers. Every time they anounce a killer winter storm the region runs out and immediately buys three months worth of bread and milk. How much toast can you eat? Restraint people thats all I'm saying.

I love how they then bring on "experts" to tell us just how bad it will be and get into the really stupid details like exactly how slippy is is. It's snow what do expect. Gggggggggaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh rant

(Anonymous)
November 27, 2003
my point was that if the people dont know that it is snowing to the extent that it does up in the highlands,they might opt for golfing or fishing instead.I know i did for years.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?