Semi-annual call for new instructors
11 posts
4 users
1k+ views
Otto
October 11, 2003
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
With a new season coming up Ski Liberty is again recruiting new instructors - both ski and particularly snowboard. Training consists of a weekend of class training and a weekend of on-snow skiing and clinics.

There is a fee to take the course, but its not much more than two weekend lift tickets.

If you love skiing or boarding and can handle the time commitment, this is one of the best things you can do. My skiing has improved 100% since becoming an instructor, have made great friends, gotten savage deals on equipment and lots of cheap or free skiing. If you have a family and are hired, you get a deep discount on passes for your wife or kids. Instructors ski for free when not working and get a discount on food and gear at the on-mountain ski shop.

You get paid for the time you actually are teaching, but don't count on this income to complete your retirement plan.

You do not have to be a super skier or rider. Strong intermediates usually have what it takes to qualify. We have all kinds of people of all ages teaching on the staff - from retired multi-star generals in their 70's to 19 year old Czech nannies.

A ton of people are from the DC and Baltimore burbs - many who work weekends stay over on Saturday night because the Liberty/Gettysburg area usually has a huge surplus of hotel rooms during the winter months and lodging is cheap.

You only have to be 18, love snowsports, and have the ability comfortably communicate with a small group of people.

Liberty has a happy, well-run ski school. It ain't perfect, but it has an excellent training program, great clinics for your personal skiing, pride in our work, and we have a lot of fun.

If you are interested, drop me an email or post here and we can go from there.

JohnL
October 12, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,563 posts
Otto,

Two questions.

1) What is the expected time commitment?

2) If you are 50-50 about the commitment but are willing to spend the money, how tolerant is the Liberty staff if you take the training course but decide to not commit?

(Anonymous)
October 13, 2003
I'm considering this possibility as well.

My understanding is that they usually want something like 6 shifts a month, however, along the same lines, specifically, what sort of time commitment do they expect from a beginning instructor during the various holiday rush periods, e.g., more shifts or specific days? For example, we often travel to visit family during the xmas vacation period. Thanks.

(Anonymous)
October 13, 2003
One more question - do the three sister resorts (Liberty, WT, RT) have reciprocity for instructors. For example, if you teach one year at one, can you switch to another without too much hassle / re-training. Once on staff and say going for your L-I pin, can you clinic where ever is most convenient? Thanks.
Roy
October 14, 2003
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
Otto, when is the class and what is the time commitment?

You can reach me at ruffr17@aol.com

Otto
October 14, 2003
176 posts
Answers to some questions:

The cost of the training course is $75.

I don't know when the class sessions are, but will find out. The on-snow is Dec. 13-14 if there is any snow.

Transfer to other Liberty affiliated places - If you have your PSIA cert it is easier. If not, you probably could without much hassle if you wanted to. People generally don't.

Taking clinics at other mountains - not unless it is PSIA sponsored.

Taking the training course and changing your mind - I don't see how or why anybody would be miffed unless other people were turned away because the course was full.

Holiday Periods: Christmas week is a big week, but in my experience if you have family plans management is pretty understanding.

Time commitment. I work Sat. and Sun. 2- 8:30, which is the shortest (and maybe the worst) possible shift. Other possible shifts are:

Two weekdays from (9-6).

Two weekdays (1-8:30).

One weekend day (8:30-6) and one Weekday (9-6).

Weekdays - Three mornings (10-2) or 3 afternoons (2-6) or 3 evenings (4:30-8:30).

One day (9-6), and two Sessions (10 - 2) or (5:45 - 8:30)

One day (9-6), and two Evenings (5:45 -8:30).

Weekend days (Sat. & Sun.) from (9-6), and one other Evening (5:45-8:30).

Weekend days (Sat. & Sun.) from (2-8:30).

One whole day (9-9) & one evening (5:45-8:30) or one morning (10-2)
If you are on a rotation schedule any two days per week will fulfill your commitment.

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 10-14-2003).]

Roy
October 17, 2003
609 posts
Otto,

Please give information on when, where and how to sign up. I'm ready to commit.

Otto
October 17, 2003
176 posts
Follow this link:

http://www.skiliberty.com/employment.htm

or send an email to: smartin@skiliberty.com

Roy
November 24, 2003
609 posts
Otto, I went to the course and I'm scheduled to do the on snow class. Thanks for the info to get me signed up.

They told us we should bring a lock to lock up our skis. Any advice on the type of lock system I should get?

Otto
November 24, 2003
176 posts
Anything that slows a thief down is good.

I use retractable cable locks like this type:

http://www.tognar.com/widget.html#SAA-88004

Unfortunately, Liberty is not different than anywhere else and skis do get stolen, particularly new stuff at the beginning of the season...

On snow scheduled for December 13-14 - its not looking good so far...

[This message has been edited by Otto (edited 11-24-2003).]

Roy
November 24, 2003
609 posts
Thanks for the info.

No it's not looking good for the on-snow. I'm going to Minnesota for Thanksgiving. I'll try to bring some of that snow back.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.