Best Resort for President's week.
9 posts
7 users
1k+ views
skidmo
October 10, 2003
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
Here's the dilemma, While I can ski, I need to take a bunch of beginners skiing at a local resort over president's weekend. My guess is that Snowshoe and Seven Springs are out because the crowds would be the worst there. (I realize that every where will be more crowded than usual, I'm just trying to find the most tolerable area in terms of beginner crowds.) I'm thinking about Canaan, but wondered if anyone else had thoughts on the least crowded local area for beginners on President's weekend? Thanks.
Norsk
October 10, 2003
Member since 05/13/2003 🔗
317 posts
Wisp?
Bryce? (you are taking beginners, after all)
JohnL
October 12, 2003
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
My two cents worth.

Beginning skiers won't be able to ski three day's straight. By the end of day two they will be plently stiff and sore. If you are based in the DC/Baltimore area, I'd recommend avoiding the holiday crowds and choose another weekend. When you are in a learing situation, few things are more intimidating than a crowded environment. And you can count on crowds during holiday weekends along the entire East Coast.

lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
October 13, 2003
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
If you got beginners, avoid Snowshoe during Prez Weekend, unless you want to get the feel for what the folks in the old Soviet Union had to put up with in terms of interminable lines to do or get anything done. I own a condo there and after one Prez Day adventure, I decided to rent my place on future holidays...
PhysicsMan
October 13, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
My experience is that crowds on President's Day weekend are absolutely hideous at WT and Liberty. (I rarely go to RT.) On several years, WT, and probably many other resorts, sell out of rentals. Many beginners and other people who drove out but don't own gear found themselves standing around without equipment, unable to ski for hours.

I got roped into taking some never-ever neighbors (Dad and 2 pre-teen girls) out to Liberty last year on this weekend. It was the least skiing I have ever done in a day - there were 30+ min lines on the beginner lift(s) at Liberty throughout the afternoon. It was a complete waste of time in terms of getting some miles under their feet.

Other years, when we have been able to go where ever we wanted, we have had very good luck at smaller non-destination NE resorts that are surrounded by larger, closer-in destination resorts. Over the years, Magic, Bromley, Bristol, Denton, Pico and Burke have worked well for us during holidays, but I suspect you (rightfully) don't want to drive this far with a group of beginners.

BTW, I agree totally with JohnL's comments about them being sore after two days, and trying (if at all possible) to go on some other weekend.

Tom / PM

skidmo
October 13, 2003
Member since 10/10/2003 🔗
32 posts
Thanks for all the advice. My original thought was to go over that weekend, but just have them ski the first four hours or so each and then get off the mountain and do other stuff. Hopefully, that would ahve cut down on the fatigue. In retrospect, the idea was flawed in many respects. I think we'll be trying another weekend. Thanks.
PhysicsMan
October 13, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Good idea to pick another weekend. If you are at a communter hill like Liberty or Whitetail, and can actually get your group on the snow a bit b4 the lifts start turning, you might have 2 or 3 hours of sanity before the main hoards from the city start arriving, so this approach might actually fit in with your 4hr/day plan. However, if you can switch weekends, do it.

Tom / PM

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
October 14, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Another thought is to head for Timberline/Canaan Valley (CV). CV is generally less crowded on long weekends b/c it has less vertical than Timberline, and the trails are a bit less steep (there's no double black terrain at CV).

On any long weekend, Saturday is the worst day and Monday is the best day as far as crowds are concerned. Your group might consider Cross Country skiing at White Grass/Canaan Valley/Black Water Falls SP on Saturday and switching to Alpine for Sunday and Monday. Hard core Alpine skiers might try and get some additional turns in during one of the night sessions at CV or Timberline.

JimK - DCSki Columnist
October 14, 2003
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
I think Bryce would be perfect for your needs esp if you found a deal on a nearby chalet or condo to house your group. Bryce is great for beginners and it's never crowded. Here's a link to a report I wrote for DCSki about a very pleasant President's weekend visit I made to Bryce recently:
http://www.dcski.com/news/2002/02_19_2002/bryce.php

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?