SNOWSHOE HELP?
3 posts
2 users
chuckie
March 24, 2003
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
I know a lot of people here have clocked quite a few hours at SNOWSHOE, and I was wondering if I could get some help, as I'm planning a trip there this coming weekend?

1. What would be the best way to get to SNOWSHOE from the Greenbelt, MD area?

2. What are the conditions like right now?

3. I'm bringing a beginner snowboarder with me... How are the green runs at SNOWSHOE?

I myself have been there twice many seasons ago, and remember the ride being like 5 hours. I'm sure much has changes any advice?

Thanks, in advance.

Gigantor
March 24, 2003
Member since 02/24/2003 🔗
10 posts
We were there just this weekend!

(1) Can't really say, since we came from Northern VA, but we did the I-66/I-81/55/28 route, and it was really easy (3.5 hours). I agree with whoever said 55 is the easiest way across the mountains. The roads are, of course, perfectly clear the whole way. Last reliable gas and food is in Petersburg if you go that route.

(2) Heavy slush. Very sticky and slow, and a little tough to turn. On the plus side, most of the runs still have very good snow cover. There were some big bare patches over on Widowmaker, and under most of the chairlifts, but on the whole it's tip top for this time of year. Indeed, it's too bad they closed Silver Creek, since that was VERY nice this weekend.

(3) My wife is a beginner (just learned in January), and she did every single Green at Snowshoe as well as some of the Blues. I would especially recommend Yew Pine, Skidway, and Log Slide (the Powderidge lift) - quite wide and not too steep. There were hardly any other people on the slopes this weekend, which is very helpful for the beginner.

chuckie
March 25, 2003
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
77 posts
Thanks GIGANTOR, that information was very helpful, especially the info on the beginner runs.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.