T-Line conditions?
13 posts
5 users
2k+ views
Lietmotiv
February 26, 2003
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
I am heading up there this weekend and was curious about the slope conditions there. The website is useless as usual and can it be true that with all the snow and cold temperatures that there are still some of the Black diamonds that are not yet open?? If that is the case just erase them from the trailmap because I don't think they'll ever open if not this year.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 27, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,992 posts
The best way of determining conditions at Timberline is to check out White Grass's snow and weather report:

http://www.whitegrass.com/report.html

I'm also thinking of heading up, but the weather concerns me. More snow in the forecast. I've already gotten stuck up there once this year and I don't think my boss will understand if I get stuck again. Skiing, however, should be amazing as always--especially if you enjoy deep, new snow.

DC_Skier
February 27, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Johnfmh,

Is it you who owns property at Canaan or someone else? I am considering either building or buying a cabin or condo up there. Is there a rental market for spring thru fall? Do owners have any trouble renting their properties?

Any response from others with property at Canaan would be appreciated!

Thanks.

February 27, 2003
1,992 posts
I do own a condo up there and would certainly be willing to answer some questions. You can e-mail me directly at: johnfmh@yahoo.com

(Anonymous)
February 27, 2003
Some of the double blacks were closed during Sunday and early in the week due to extremely hard and icy conditions. It rained until about 7 am Sunday and then froze up solid as a rock. I believe they were trying to get some natural snow back on them and do some grooming. Call ahead if you have any questions.
canaanman
March 4, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Yeah, I always wondered about that, and why sometimes the double-blacks were closed... now I know. But I can see where you are coming from, last sunday, the 2nd, everything ungroomed was incredibly hard all morning until lunchtime.

Usually the conditions are good at Timberline, and they should be nice for this weekend, even though some rain or snow is predicted for Saturday. You just have to watch out for warm temps followed by pretty cold temps (in the 20s), because that's when the ice builds up.

Darren- I wonder what happens when the slow button and the stop button both get stuck on the Silver Queen Double, does it just have a Go drive then? Interesting how the slow button got stuck at the bottom and the attendant had to rip out the wires, so for awhile on Saturday afternoon there was no slow speed... interesting how they couldn't figure it out for like 45 minutes either. "Must be a relay problem..." that's what I heard for hours, and then they realized the button was broken.

(Anonymous)
March 6, 2003
Canaanman, Honestly I really don't have any idea about what was going on with the Queen. I did hear that it didn't run for part of the day but didn't get any info on what was wrong with it.
canaanman
March 6, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
The attendant at it's base assured me that the slow button was malfuncioning (hence why it got so slow) and they had to rewire it. Because I slid up to get on and he says, "Don't Fall, we have no slow speed, the button got stuck."
March 7, 2003
1,992 posts
National Weather Service's forecast for T-Line this weekend:

SATURDAY
PARTLY SUNNY. HIGHS IN THE UPPER 40S. SOUTHWEST WINDS
10 TO 20 MPH.

SATURDAY NIGHT
SCATTERED RAIN SHOWERS UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN
SCATTERED SNOW OR RAIN SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. LITTLE OR NO SNOW
ACCUMULATION. LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 50
PERCENT.

SUNDAY
SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS. COLDER. TEMPERATURES FALLING INTO
THE UPPER 20S. CHANCE OF SNOW 50 PERCENT.

It looks like a Spring skiing day on Saturday and maybe with luck, some fresh stuff on Sunday. If things soften up on Saturday, Drop and Off the Wall might be OK. What's your take Canaanman??? Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, more rain in the long term forecast. In short, anyone interested in expert terrain might want to get their kicks in this weekend while the natural base is still deep. The basic blacks and blues, however, should last until closing in April.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 03-07-2003).]

canaanman
March 15, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Well, my opinion too little too late so to speak. I actually was at Snowshoe last weekend, and albeit it was beautiful on Saturday, when Sunday rolled around we got a dose of Ice Coast ice for once this season. Imagine Volkswagen-sized moguls that are rock soild. Wasn't very much fun.

Wow... this weekend is Snowy Luau.. too bad I'm missing it and all the barfights .

March 15, 2003
1,992 posts
I was at T-line last weekend and Sunday was indeed interesting. I experienced my first real ice of the season and was happy that I could still ski it. Today should be pretty good--warm temps and sun should create some corn opportunity.
canaanman
March 16, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
More good weather news arrives, according to the National Weather Service this week we will have the occasional rain shower, vastly similar to last week, but the temps will start to lower on friday through sunday, with some rain and possible snow moving through over the weekend. Next week we could see some snow showers in the mountains and further north in New England.

Sounds like some powder and no crowd... plus some sun, and it will be a perfect season.

canaanman
March 23, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Well... no more showcasing under the lifts this year. I spoke with the Ski Patrol over the weekend, and it was decided that Thunderdraft (while only the upper part) will close after this weekend, due to inadequate snow coverage. But, mogul-lovers never fear, The Drop is still open with plenty of cover and huge bumps, almost rivaling those on Lower Shay's Revenge at Snowshoe. Dew Drop, Almost Heaven, Thunderstruck, White Lightning, White-Out, and Salamander are open as well, and are groomed nightly.

Timberline is attempting to remain open through April 6th, while Canaan will close March 30 and reopen on the 5th and 6th. Meadows 1 and 2 are both open at Canaan, and Gravity is as well.

Overall, it has definately been a good season, with the snowfall total somewhere around 212" in the Valley.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?