Lodging near Timberline
12 posts
7 users
1k+ views
DC_Skier
January 14, 2003
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Does anyone have any recommendations on inexpensive lodging (ie, less expensive than Canaan Lodge) within 30 min. of Timberline/Canaan? Am ammenable to Motels, B&Bs etc. Thanks.

BTW, has anyone been to T-Line within the last couple of weeks?

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 14, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,987 posts
DC-Skier:

Village Inn Motel
(304) 866-4166

Simple, clean, and close to Timberline/Canaan/Whitegrass. The best nearbye restaurants are Deerfield's, Golden Anchor, and White Grass (reservations required). Sirriani's in Davis is also good if you want to drive a little further.

BTW, I was there two weeks ago, but not last weekend. There's a firsthand rept. posted on DCSki.

canaanman
January 14, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Well... there really isn't any cheap lodging within 30 minutes of Canaan/Timberline. I would highly recommend that you stay in the Elkins Motor Lodge, in Elkins. My family used to stay there all the time when I was extremely little (like 4). Good prices, and about 45 minutes to 1 hour from Timberline and Canaan and about 45min-1 hour to Snowshoe. Also you are about 45 minutes away from a Sheetz (mm... Sheetz), the closest being in Buchannon. Mmm... MTO.
canaanman
January 14, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
One other place you might like to try is the Alpeina Springs Hotel in Alpenia. This unincorporated town is located about 15 minutes out of Elkins and has a restaurant with decent food and a few rooms. Pretty cheap... I'm not sure of the amenities, but it puts you around 30-45 minutes out of the Valley.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
January 15, 2003
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,987 posts
Canaanman:

Do you mean the Alpine Lodge,(304) 636-1470, on route 33 E between Elkins and Harmon? If so, I recommend it. I've chatted with the owner, and looked at the facility. It's a popular spot for fishermen in the summer, but I suspect it does not get much business in the winter. The Lodge features a decent restaurant as well as rooms.

Another place to look for cheap lodging is Chip Chase's lodging guide on the White Grass web site:

http://www.whitegrass.com/accommodations.html

myrto
January 15, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
The tally-ho just on the edge of Thomas towards Davis is cheap with a good on site diner style restaurant. About a 20 minute drive to the slopes.
However if you are looking for the best all around deal the packages that canaan Lodge offers that include breakfasts and lift tickets are pretty hard to beat. You subtract the cost of buying your own lift tickets and you would be hard pressed to ave enough left over for a stay at the Motel 6.
canaanman
January 16, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
john- yeah... thats what its name is. Pretty cool spot.

By the way... if you are ever going past the Alpine Lodge right before you get to it going North on 33 look over the right-hand side of the road... a spring burbles out, and diverts under the road into the lake behind the lodge. Cool, huh?

ski_guy_59
January 16, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
hey Myrto, isn't Canaan Lodge the one with the fly in deal during the summer? If so, its the one I stayed at six years ago. I was only ten, kinda hard to remember that far back!
myrto
January 17, 2003
Member since 10/4/2001 🔗
259 posts
No, that's windwood.
(Anonymous)
February 27, 2004
This may be way too late as a reply but we have been staying at the econolodge in elkins for many years. They'll take the dog & every x night is free (that varies)

There are also a few pretty reasonable b&b's in Davis.

(Anonymous)
February 27, 2004
He is coming from dc people,he prob wont want to drive to the elkins side!The alpine best western in davis works.I used to stay at a real cheap place somewhere around keyser.the kind of motel where the ofc smells like curry!Some of you will know what i'm talking about.
tommo
February 27, 2004
Member since 01/16/2004 🔗
303 posts
There are also several very inexpensive motels in Oakland, MD. It is a bit further from the Valley, but the price is LOW and there's lots of places to eat. If nothing else, it's a MUCH easier drive than going all the way to Elkins and is on a fairly efficient route from the MD side of DC.

http://www.garrettchamber.com/searchresults.asp?tab=3&category_index=4

Try the Oak-Mar, Starlite, or Boardroom. Not fancy, but clean, cheap and convienent (esp. if the Best Western in Davis if full)

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.