New trails at the 'shoe?
13 posts
6 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
February 26, 2002
Seems I've heard rumours about more trails on the Western Territory and the Western slope, accross the lake, since Intrwest took over in 95' anybody know when these will come to fuition?
(Anonymous)
February 27, 2002
hey guys im away from my home computer, so i cant log in with my normal underscored name. I have heard the rumors at 'Shoe....talked to reservation people about it when i was making my reservations in march. short term(five years or so) is to expand the village and add more lodging shops etc. Remember that this year they added split rocks and a new hotel is opening in the spring i believe. Down the road, they will add more trails and stuff like that. Just last year or the year before, they cut Yew Pine, a nice green in the northern tract. when i go up there in march, i'll get a copy of the long range development plan and share some of it with you.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 27, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
In a media conference call with Intrawest management this December, the Snowshoeshoe management said they have no immediate plans to expand terrain or build new lifts. The only expansion planned right now are new condo neighborhoods.

John Sherwood

(Anonymous)
December 2, 2002
As a condo owner at Snowshoe, I watch in amazement at the pace of new construction in the rush to sell new properties.

Parking on the mountain has virtually disappeared as new buildings go up. Good luck to day skiers this year trying to park!

InterWest has solicited comments from owners on how the resort could be improved. I sent a response regarding overcrowding on the slopes and unsafe (crossing) conditions. I urged them to be as aggressive in planning new terrain as they are in putting up new condos . . . no response!!

I spend lots of time at Snowshoe (winter and summer) and am connected as part of the Snowshoe community. My prediction is a "Downhill Slide" (see review by John Sherwood) for Snowshoe unless priorities change. Snowshoe's "core" is skiing, plain- and-simple. It's not golf, bluegrass festivals, wine tasting or jazz concerts: it's skiing!! Obviously, InterWest has other ideas. Any comments John Sherwood?

ski_guy_59
December 2, 2002
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
I think they built a new parking lot near top of the world that is supposed to hold 2000 cars. NOt sure if that's correct or not. The way it was presented at the base in the Inn, the next phase of development will be the "Cheat Mountain Trail System" which will be across the lake. not sure what the plan is on that though.
johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
December 3, 2002
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Marty:

As I said in the book review, I don't think the
situation described in _Downhill Slide_ applies to
this region.

I also think that Intrawest is doing a fabulous job of
giving skiers exactly what they want: high speed
lifts, lots of vertical, the best snowmaking in the
world, and mountain services galore. Do you realize
that a lift like Western Express or Ball Hooter costs
between $2-4 million to build and $250,000 a year to
operate? Also, think about the money Snowshoe spends
on snowmaking. It is one of the few resorts in the
region, if not the world, that offers 100 percent
snowmaking. Presently, Snowshoe has the best skiing
in the Mid-Atlantic with 20 trails open and packed
powder conditions. I'm very envious of anyone lucky
enough to own a condo there. We should all be singing
praises to Snowshoe for providing us with a
world-class resort right in our own backyard.

As for the parking issue, I visited Snowshoe for a day
on the MLK weekend last year and did not have a
problem finding a spot. In any event, parking for day
trippers is sort of a moot issue. Typically, 92
percent of our skiers stay on the mountain, and only
5-8 percent can be defined as day trippers. Also,
Snowshoe has improved its shuttle system so should be
much easier for guests to get around the mountain this
year without their cars.

John Sherwood

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 12-03-2002).]

canaanman
December 8, 2002
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
[quote][i]Orginially posted by johnfmh[/i]
[b]Do you realize
that a lift like Western Express or Ball Hooter costs
between $2-4 million to build and $250,000 a year to
operate?[/b][/quote]

Good job using previous knowledge (hint hint: my t-line thread).

(Anonymous)
December 19, 2003
Marty,

You obviously have not been paying any attention to what is happening at Snowshoe. Over the next four years the ski terrian will be increased by 80 arces. There are also four new metro buses in the shuttle service to move people to all points at the resort. Parking, parking for day skiers will be at Top of the World for Snowshoe where there is a lot that will hold approx. 2000 vehicles. From your car it will be a 100 yards walk (max) to lift tickets, dining, and skiing to all of the slopes at the resort. My guess is that you are a "old" homeowner that hates any kind of change and would still be sour even if your property increased in value by one hundred times. As with any change there are will be growing pains in the evolution of a resort. I would be willing to wager that in five years, even you Marty, will be impressed with Snowshoe. Simle, it's not so bad.

DWW
December 19, 2003
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
I am a "new" condo owner at SS (one of the first to buy the new condos five years ago). I am concerned about over building condos vs. ski terrain. However, I still have faith the Intrawest knows what they are doing with respect to balance. I could be wrong, and if so, I won't be able to sell my condo for what I paid for it. I also am concerned about just building more and more trails. I don't want the resort to lose its wilderness appeal. Again, I have faith that Intrawest knows what they are doing. They do subscribe to the philosphy of "sustainable" developement or environmentally friendly. However, I am not going to let my concerns spoil my fun for now. I will be watching closely though.
ski_guy_59
December 19, 2003
Member since 11/9/2001 🔗
221 posts
It's a nearly widely known fact that high speed lifts cost so much to construct/operate. Scott first reported it in 1999 I believe, when he reported on the Quad construction at Snowshoe.
NCskier
December 20, 2003
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
"They do subscribe to the philosphy of "sustainable" developement or environmentally friendly. " I don't think a few trails being cut, lifts, and snowmaking will affect drastically the environment in negative ways. I think a few deer could find new homes for a couple of trails.
DWW
December 21, 2003
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
144 posts
I don't disagree NCskier. I am just saying there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it. I hope SS does it the right way.
(Anonymous)
December 22, 2003
Snowshoe has been undergoing environmental assesments re. new trails and lifts for several years. Snowshoe owns 11,000 acres with two protected species calling Snowshoe home. The Cheat mtn. salamander and the Virginia flying squirrel. Future development is somewhat limited by these two species. Snowshoe is working proactively by offsetting the loss of habitat due to expansion by permantly protecting tracts of land for wilderness habitat. New lift and trail expansion will be a slow, well researced process cooperatively involving environmental and State agencies.

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?