whitetail roundtop or liberty?
13 posts
6 users
18k+ views
AirHawk
January 8, 2001
Member since 12/27/2000 🔗
50 posts
I am an advanced Skier/Rider and i was wondering which resport (Whitetail Roundtop and Liberty has the best advanced Terran Libery looks like it has the most "black dimands " but roundtop looks like it has the most "double blacks" and whitetail looks like it has the least i was wondering which of these you would reconmend....i perferbily want the place with the hardest terran and some verity...roundtop of liberty but i wanted u opiniton on whitetail to and what u think of all 3 of those places........
btw which one is the least croweded and has the best lifts i know whitetail has a highspeed??
Thanks

air

(Anonymous)
January 9, 2001
I would definately hit Roundtop. Out of those three it definately has the hardest but also most interesting terrain. While I would reccomend heading out farther to Blue KNob if you have to stay close then go to Roundtop.
lbotta - DCSki Supporter 
January 10, 2001
Member since 10/18/1999 🔗
1,535 posts
I agree. I went to Roundtop for the first time and I was impressed. Yes, it doesn't have the amenities of its sister areas, and it is definitely NOT a Snowshoe or a Seven Springs in its infrastructure, but I found it to be a really nice, uncrowded, well taken care-of ski area that was quite friendly and welcoming. I will be going back frequently. The thing that attracted me the most to Roundtop is that as a New Englander, I could have easily have been in a mom & pop area in Vermont or New Hampshire, and unfortunately, there aren't many of those left.

The terrain is more challenging than Liberty and less icy than Whitetail. Gunbarrell is an asskicker with moguls from hell and an incline that rivals Lower Shays at the Shoe. Upper Lafayette's Leap was also really nice. But I really really liked Barrett's Trail the best as it reminded me of an old narrow New England trail.

If you're looking for length of the trails, go to Whitetail. If you're looking for the nearest spot with some challenge, go Liberty. If you're looking for a cozy but really effective ski day, go Roundtop.

Lou

twin58
January 11, 2001
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Lots of bumps yesterday at Liberty. Lower Eastwind, I think it's called. Lots of ice, too.
JohnL
January 12, 2001
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
I'm gonna offer a bit of a dissenting opinion on this one. Of the three closest areas (Whitetail, Liberty, Rountop) none of them has terrain that really challenges an advanced skiier - unless the conditions are icy or bumps have formed. A lot of times its the conditions not the terrain that poses the most challenge. The thaw-freeze cycle with heavy skiier traffic over limited terrain can produce "interesting" conditions in most Mid-Atlantic areas. This winter has been an exception.

I prefer Whitetail (have to choose the right timing). The main reason is vertical. While Liberty and Roundtop have relatively decent pitches on their headwalls, they have maybe 200-250 foot vertical on the headwalls. That's maybe 5-7 GS turns or 20-25 bump turns if the bumps have formed (which is not always.) Try as I might to like Liberty or Roundtop, I get bored there very quickly.

At Whitetail, the bumps on Bold Decision and Exhibition can be good as any you can find at Liberty/Roundtop. Further, the pitch on the Bold Decision headwall is as steep (and as short) as those at Liberty/Roundtop. The key is to hit Whitetail when the moguls have formed. First of all, these trails are closed at night. Second, bumps normally don't form unless the weather gets warm enough. Third, Whitetail has a bad habit of grooming the bump trails too often, the percentage of days when there are reasonable bumps is too low in my opinion. When the moguls are good on Exhibition - as they were last Sunday - you get maybe 700 foot of pure moguls.

As for challenging icy conditions, you can find them at any local area, especially at night when the day was warm.

[This message has been edited by JohnL (edited 01-11-2001).]

(Anonymous)
January 13, 2001
Airhawk don't go to massanutten on the weekends it gets entirely too crowded on the weekends. I was there today and we walked up to the intermediate lifts instead of waitin in line for at least 30 minutes for the lift at the bottom.
AirHawk
January 14, 2001
50 posts
Thanks for your imput i am gona consider roundtop or maybe while tail or massinnutten how is massinnutten i asked some friends and they said its really nice they like it da best
AirHawk
January 15, 2001
50 posts
I went to roundtop it was great........nice packed powder a couple ice sports and a couple grass stawks sticking up trough the grass in a couple areas (on barrots trail i noticed some area that looked like they need snowmaking other places 2) but it was great its not like in the past and the trails had plenty of snow but not as much as say da shoe or timberline or cannon where the show is 7+ feet high at the minimum...... but whos complainen i dident get any scraches and a few stawks sticking up ant a problem..... as for uppergunbarrel?? WTF ARE THEY THINKEN that trails is not even a trail i went down the far left side and i was going good till i came to a 6 foot clif (i meen clif) it was strait down with uneven surface at the botoom how are u supposed to navigate that??

but on the hole i loved it was not croweded except at night but even then it was not crowed.....it was great place try it

Finsout
January 23, 2001
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
Having been a local at Roundtop for the last 8 years, i can tell you it just plain sucks. unless you are a beginner, they have nothing to offer you nor will the cater to you. if anyone in your family snowboards, its even worse. they have a pipe which is rarely groomed and is a deathtrap, and they won't have a park at all. they cite a trend that big resorts are abondoning parks since they are no longer trendy. RIGHT! anybody been out west lately? basically for skiers its weak and snowboarding its worse. as for upper gunbarrel, its always a cliff because they wont groom it. after 10 inch of fresh this past weekend, it was scraped off by 9:00am. another word tothe wise. stay away on saturdays. it is insanely crowded!!
(Anonymous)
January 23, 2001
i'm going to take a beginner skiing locally and my memory is failing me on something. do either Roundtop or Liberty have a green slope from the top? if they both do, which has the better green run from the top? thanks
(Anonymous)
January 24, 2001
I am not real sure about Roundtop, but Liberty does have a long green slope from the top - Dipsy Doodle. I am sure it is the longest as it is quite long (Liberty's longest). It is sort of a challenge for a beginner slope because is starts off with a small incline and then makes a U shaped turn which is sort of steep and challenging it then has a long cruising section (to regroup after the steep part) and then dumps into the snowbowl area. One thing though, it is not included in their beginner lift ticket promotion. Good Luck!
Finsout
January 24, 2001
Member since 01/23/2001 🔗
104 posts
roundtop does not have a green trail from top to bottom. i'd hit whitetail, their one beginner trail is pretty long.
twin58
January 24, 2001
Member since 04/1/2000 🔗
198 posts
Further, last night, the green trail at WT was like a ghost town too.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.