7springs vs canaan valley
3 posts
2 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
November 13, 2000
We are a group of 5 families with children in the 5 - 9 age group and adults of intermediate abilities.
The past two years we have all gone to 7 springs and had a blast. This year we have reservations there again but have been looking at different options. We thought about Snowshoe but concluded that for our purposes it was too spread out and the price would have probably been more so we ruled that out for now. We looked into doing a lodging/lift ticket package midweek for 4 days 3 nites at canaan and it comes to $460 for a family of 4 vs. $860 at 7 springs.
So the answer seems obvious but before we trash our reservations at 7 springs I thought I would seek the expert opinions of my fellow DCSKI readers. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.
Thank you
JohnL
November 14, 2000
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Something to consider is how important off-slope activities are for the children (skating, arcade games, etc.) It's pretty tough to beat 7 Springs for those activities in the mid-Atlantic, especially if you stay in the hotel. I've only been to Canaan once, about 6 years ago, and the area didn't have the amenities back then. The other board members should be able to answer this one.
(Anonymous)
November 21, 2000
Canaan Valley and Timberline offer some great skiing options during the day, but have limited night skiing. The non-ski amenities are not what they are at 7 Springs, but there are some great housing options and the prices can't be beat (especially in March when the snow conditions are the best and the crowds are much less). There are a couple of nice restaurants for the family close to Canaan Valley and there is a new large grocery store in Davis 10 minutes away that makes it easy to cook in. Blackwater falls state park is also close by with a sledding run that the kids would love.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.