July 18, 2000
Member since 07/18/2000 🔗
3 posts
I plan a ski trip for my friends every year. For the past 3 years
we have been going to Stratton, VT however this year we decided to check out
Killington, VT. There are so many condos to choose from I was looking for a
little advice. The condo we want to stay in MUST HAVE a full kitchen, TV/VCR,
Washer/Dryer, Fireplace, Access to a health complex with pool sauna and Jacuzzi
etc.... We are looking for something as nice or nicer than the condos at Stratton.
Money is a big consideration for us. I called Killington and recieved
prices for all their condos and I need some help choosing which one we should
stay at.

The cheapest condos they offer for 3 bedrooms for 3 nights are:

Wiffletree - $1112.00
Pinacle - $1216.00
Sunrise - $1360.00
Falline - $1360.00

Then the more expensive ones are:

Trailcreek - $1558.00
Highridge - $1622.00

I want to know if anyone has any experience with condos and which are nice.
I am looking to go as cheap as possible but I don't want to give up any quality.
I am not looking for something fit for a king, but I would like it to be as nice
as Stratton's condos. We ar elooking for something comfortable, not extravagent.
Please e-mail me if you can help at killerz@mindless.com. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx,
Bryan

(Anonymous)
July 26, 2000
My advice would be to go to someplace that has better terrain and is less glitzy and glamerous as Killington. Try Sugarbush, Stowe, Smugglers Notch, Jay Peak, Burke Mountain, among others. Or if you want someplace more european and is glitzy and glamerous, go to Tremblant in Qubec, it isn't as far as you'd think, the village is beautiful, terrain, lifts, and snowmaking are better then Killington, and now the American Dollar is strong which can make it very cheap.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 26, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
Alternate opinion. I've been to Killington many times and once to Stratton, and to all areas that Jay mentions except Burke and Tremblant. My advice is to go to Killington. If you like the generally Blue slopes of Stratton you'll love the even more extensive Blue trails of Kill. Kill is expensive and can be crowded on primo weekends, but it has tons of terrain and great snowmaking and is hard to beat in the east as a one-stop ski resort. I liked Stratton, but Kill is about 3 or 4 times the size of Stratton. I think all those Kill condos you mentioned have all the amenities you want, but call Kill or consult their brochures or website to confirm. I've never spent the night at Stratton, but it is a very upscale place, so the more expensive condos at Kill may be more what you are used to. Ten years or more ago I stayed at Wiffletree and Pinacle. They are nice, but may have deteriorated since then. They are not exactly slopeside, must ride shuttle bus or walk 1/2 mile to lifts. Sunrise might be closer/easier in that respect, but again verify with resort. I prefer to access the ski area from the Sunrise/Bear Mtn side, it seems less congested and the terrain is interesting. Are you skier or boarder? Some boarders don't like Kill because of all the catwalks and cross trails, but as a skier I like them to explore all the area and Kill is big enough that on weekdays you can almost always find a remote trail with empty lift.
(Anonymous)
July 26, 2000
The problem I have with Killington is that its just 7 small mountains with the exception of Pico(which when open is the best mountain there). All the runs have not much more then a thousand vertical drop with the exception of great eastern which is a long begginer trail. When I travel up to Vermont I would rather go on longer continous 2000 vertical slopes, like Stratton's rather then slopes that are very similar to trails that we have down here. My suggestion would be to go to Tremblant. It has numerous condos with all the amenities, operated by the same owners as Stratton, has a very unique european feel with shops, cafes, bars,clubs etc at the base village, heated gondolas and high speed lifts,very similar trails to Stratton, and has been rated by numerous publications as being the #1 resort in the East. However the best part is that American Dollar is strong so everything is downright cheap.
nad
July 26, 2000
Member since 07/18/2000 🔗
3 posts
We are definately going to Killington so I need to know what condo to stay at. We are going to Tremblant next year. If noone here has info on the condos, can you direct me to somewhere I can find it out. mail me at killerz@mindless.com

Thanx,
Bryan

JimK - DCSki Columnist
July 27, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,963 posts
If you don't get much more help at this site try www.killington.com If you fish around you will find their chat room and you can ask your condo question there and get responses from lots of locals and Killington freaks.
Jay, agree to some degree on your point about K being 7 small mountains side-by-side, but a number of runs around the Skye Peak section give you close to 2000' vertical. Great Eastern (4.5 miles/3000+ vertical) "beginner" trail is a real trip for southern intermediate skiers used to 1/2 mile long runs. Mt Tremblant sounds great.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.