Canaan Valley
4 posts
3 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
March 24, 2000
I was at Canaan Valley March 5-9 and had an overall good experience. Got in several hours of night skiing on Sunday and then skied all day Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday, however, was another story. The top layer of "snow" had melted down to the ice underneath and did not make for good skiing conditions. They said they were unable to groom because it didn't get cold enough. My husband, who is an excellent skier, went down Timber Run (green) with me once and fell and decided that was enough. We turned in our skis on Wednesday and did a lot of driving around and hiking in the afternoon. Left a day early because of the weather, but had a great time. I have to say that when I started skiing on Sunday, I was three feet and a ball of snow but by the end of the day Tuesday was able to ski everything open without much difficulty except Gravity. We were amazed at the amount of whitetail deer at Canaan Valley State Park. There were even some crossing the slopes on Sunday night. What a sight. I would love to go back one day, but the weather seems to be pretty unpredictable. It was in the mid 70's most of the week. Has anyone been there since the 9th? If so, what are the conditions like?
AirHawk
January 17, 2001
Member since 12/27/2000 🔗
50 posts
the only time iwent to cannon it was poring down rain...it sucked kinda made me never wana go back but i guess i should go back.....

Air

Gill
January 17, 2001
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
I like Canaan Valley. Since Snowshoe has become a "destination" resort, the crowds at Timberline and Canaan Valley are significantly less. I was at Canaan for five weekends in a row last season and the longest I had to wait in a lift line was about 5 minutes.

I like both Canaan and Timberline. I think the slopes have a more consistant pitch to them than places like Snowshoe (except for the Western Territory slopes). There's not a lot to do in Canaan or Timberline after the slopes close, but that's ok for me because I go to ski and am wiped out by night.

AirHawk
January 17, 2001
Member since 12/27/2000 🔗
50 posts
haha same here Gill

i skie till i cant move a muscle then i go sleep and for ever and ever and wake up the next day and sleep till i can move a muscle again and i am still young and indsistructible but i ski hard and i am pooped at the end of it

DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?