Blue Knob review
3 posts
2 users
1k+ views
(Anonymous)
February 21, 2000
I went to Blue Knob yesterday and had a very good time even though I never touched its potential. Blue Knob has a 1000 vertical drop however it does seem longer, the trails are long and it has a very sustained pitch. However I saw a noticable lack of snowmaking and they didn't groom many of the slopes until mid morning. On top of that it was frustrating to see trails such as Lower 66, Stemboggen, the terrain park, and shortway closed. THese trails looked so good. I would have to say that I would only come back this year if one of these trails open. Blue Knob could easily be the best place in the mid atlantic if they were to add more snowmaking and do a better job of grooming the begginer and intermediate slopes. It is a shame to see so many great trails closed due to a lack of snowmaking, Blue Knob has amazing potential and I only wish they would capitalize on it.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
February 22, 2000
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
Phil, people have been saying those same things about BK for 30yrs! I haven't been there in a few years, I think management has given up maintaining lower 66 and lower shortway, too narrow to be safe for typical boarders and skiers. they concentrate snowmaking on big wide new trails like Deer Run i think? I thought they still opened Stembogan, but maybe not? I used to enjoy its funky banked turns and mini bowl at the bottom. If you didn't see these trails open this week, they will never be opened. Was it crowded on GW Bday weekend at BK?
(Anonymous)
February 22, 2000
THe lift lines were virtually nothing at BK. They did have a good crowd there but I rarely waited in a line passed 2 or 3 minutes. I was very impressed. Dont tell the ski patrol but I did sneak on to Lower Shortway and found it to be one of the best trails in the mid atlantic. Aside from the extremely thin cover(I had my rock skis on), and the parts where I had to take my skis off and walk(which was only for a little part), I found the narrow trail to be something unique in the mid atlantic. It reminded me of Skiing at Cannon mountain in New Hampshire.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.