Ski Bags for Airline Travel
8 posts
6 users
5k+ views
(Anonymous)
February 11, 2004
Can anyone share successes or failures with any particular kind of ski bag. I'm flying with my skis for the first time in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out what to buy to transport them with a reasonable chance of arriving in one piece. Thanks.
JohnL
February 11, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
If you search this site, there are some other threads concerning ski bags/cases. Some people swear by the hard plastic cases; I've never used them myself.

For soft bags, look for durable material; not necessarily to protect your skis, but to survive the rigors of airline handling. No matter how durable the fabric, there is still a good chance the case will be ripped during the packing/handling process. A roll of duct tape is a good investment.

Personally, I would spend my money elsewhere than buying the "cadillac" of ski bags.

If you pack ski clothes in your bag, you shouldn't have to worry about damage to your skis. I pack things such as thermal underwear, ski pants, socks, gloves, t-shirts, etc. in my ski bag. Don't overstuff the bag, but make sure you have enough clothing at the ends of the bag, around the ski edges and around the bindings. Packing the ends of the bag is very important; I've seen baggage handlers toss ski bags in the air with the bags landing on their ends. I pack at least 4-5 inches of socks and t-shirts at the ends.

Wrap your skis in plastic garbage bags prior to packing so your edges don't rip your clothes. Likewise, wrap aluminum foil or place plastic roller blade tips on your pole bottoms so they don't damage your clothes.

If you have a reasonable amount of clothing around your skis, they can take a lot of punishment. Your skis will probably take more punishment on the slopes.

johnfmh - DCSki Columnist
February 12, 2004
Member since 07/18/2001 🔗
1,986 posts
Check out these threads on www.epicski.com:

http://www.epicski.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004044#000000

http://www.epicski.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004506#000000

http://www.epicski.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004727#000000

jimmer
February 12, 2004
Member since 11/25/2003 🔗
53 posts
I have experience with both the bags & with the hard plastic "ski tube".

The bag was easier to work & pack, but I did once get my skiis back hanging out the end of the bag. Since I packed clothes around them - I was also missing several pieces of clothes. It was a decent bag - but not the best.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE the plastic ski tote. It can be a pain to use the first time till you figure out the tricks of loading it - but it's all worth it. The wheels on the bottom are absolutely awsome. Finding a lock to fit into the small diameter whole can be interesting - but I found some. Best of all - I've never had anything damaged that was inside the case. You don't have to worry about padding your gear with your theremals - use your suitcase for that.

Do what you want - but I'll never own a soft ski bag again.

jimmer

February 12, 2004
1,986 posts
The consensus at Epic is that the Dakine Concourse bag (soft but padded with wheels) is the way to go.

I've traveled extensively with a SportsTube and fave found it to be a royal hassle. You have to take it part to get your skis on a cab. External ski racks on busses rarely can accomodate a SportsTube. Also, it's heavy as you know what. The bag is much lighter.

The best solution to traveling with skis, however, that I have discovered is to leave your skis at home and just take your boots. In Europe, where I just returned, the ski rental stores have this year's models in the rental program: top of the line Head, Volkl, and Atomic skis. Whatever you want. Renting costs a little more money but it gives you an opportunity to demo new skis and spares you huge hassles in traveling--especially on public transportation.

Cicada
February 18, 2004
Member since 02/18/2004 🔗
1 posts
Do you know where I can get a padded shoulder strap for a Dakine Dual Roller bag? I seem to have lost mine. I like this bag very much. I use it to carry one pair of skis and a pair of ski boards and pack my bulky ski clothes in and around the skis. I have a SporTube (double size) but don't use it much as it weighs a ton when fully packed.
February 19, 2004
1,986 posts
Any good luggage store sells replacement shoulder straps. I've purchased them at the Faragut North luggage store on CT ave. DCA also has a similar store.

[This message has been edited by johnfmh (edited 02-19-2004).]

MangyMarmot
February 26, 2004
Member since 12/25/2002 🔗
183 posts
My 2 cents and a question:

I just did Italy w/skis and snowboard. Bought a box of bubble wrap at Office Depot for like $10. Wrapped equipment up tight (w/ extra on ends and bindings). Loaded in bags. Came through perfect. Bubble wrap rocks. Plus can sit around popping it afterward and amuse self and annoy others.

QUESTION - PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!!

Has anyone encountered a wheeled bag to accomodate 181cm skis AND snowboard? (it's 151cm if that makes sense)

Schlepping all that gear around without wheels in Europe really sucked. One wheeled big bag would have been easier on the back.

Also, for anyone going there, train stations have bag checks to dump gear for a few days if touring pre or after ski. Charges can mount -- about $8/day per bag... another reason to want skis and board in single bag.

mm

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?