What ski's are best?
25 posts
10 users
8k+ views
bawalker
January 25, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I can say I started out skiing before snowboarding but unfortunately getting stuck with wrong equipment left me with an intial distast for skiing as well as a concussion from a fall on Salamander several years back.

Well now that I have gotten into boarding and being more aware and informed of snowsports in general I would like to go back to trying some skiing so I can alternate and work on both sports.

My question is, what is the best skis that I should get considering I am more of a beginner on skii's than a board? The last time I went the rentals gave me around 175 sized skis that were very narrow and made it so hard that tips crossed, got too much speed and simply couldn't control myself. Well a friend of mine got some Rosingnol ski's that look to be no more than 150-155 in size and are wider.

Being that I am 6'5" tall, weigh around 230 what would you all recommend for me to start off with so I can learn how to get that much needed control. I would like to purchase these this summer during the sale prices of sports stores.

Thanks in advance.

(Anonymous)
January 25, 2004
There is a great lecture about ski equipment at skitrucks.com......basically saying not to rely on all the marketing hype (it also gives guidance regarding how to do this. I suggest you demo ski's. Best of luck. CR
KevR
January 26, 2004
Member since 01/27/2004 🔗
786 posts
I think you should get professional advice from a reputable ski shop. I'd say most manufacturers probably make beginner skis just fine -- but at 250 + 6'5", that's dang big for skiing, so you might want someone with some real experience to suggest some different products.

Do you live locally in the DC area?

(Anonymous)
January 26, 2004
Hey I'm 6'4' and have you by a few pounds,I ski a rossi energy 184 you can buy a rossi cut shaped ski 177-184 a great beginner ski on ebay probably wouldn't go shorter than 170
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3657313848&category=21245
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
bawalker
January 27, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Gary,

Thanks for that info. I'm going to check them out. No more using 200+ ski's like my first time out ever.

Brad

NCskier
January 27, 2004
Member since 12/12/2003 🔗
30 posts
try out evogear.com. They have the best deals on the internet and sell demo gear used about 10 times. I think I saw Rossi cuts for $50, but I'm not sure what size they were. Since you are a snowboader, you might enjoy twin tips. Most ski companies have their own lines of twin tips. They aklso have beginner twin tips too. Try Line, 4frnt, and Armada skis. With twin tips, you can ski stuff switch[backwards] if you're getting bored or need a new challenge.
bawalker
January 27, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for that site. I just saw Rossingol Cuts for $79 that are 149cm size. Would those work for me being small enough, but yet still work for carving, and basic learning?
KevR
January 28, 2004
786 posts
I think I suggested this too but no one every listens to me! You are HUGE and HEAVY -- a soft beginner ski is probably a wet noodle under you. I good ski shop should provide some informative information. A *GOOD* shop... not walmart ski shop... You don't have to buy anything, just ask for some suggestions, maybe rent something they recommend, then buy later! If they are a good shop they will help you out & don't forget to reward them if you decide to buy skis sometime -- INFORMATION is worth something too.

bawalker
January 28, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
KevR,

To answer your previous question, I live about 2 hours from DC in the Winchester, VA area. Unfortunately there aren't any good/reputable shops here when it comes to winter sports. There are some that carry small selections of equipment but no one who actually skii's or has skiied professionally to offer that solid edge of advice.

The main reason I'm posing size questions for ski's is that the last few times I rented from wisp/timberline I was given what I was told intermediate skis. After several attempts I was slowly starting to get the hang of it except I couldn't carve without tips crossing causing me to take more tumbles than on a board. Thankfully I didn't tweak or blowout my knee doing that.

My main goal is to just get various thoughts and opinions before heading to a shop of what to expect for my size. Btw I'm huge as in linebacker size that can run 3 miles a day, not huge as in the plump guy watching football on tv.

JohnL
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
>> Btw I'm huge as in linebacker size that can run 3 miles a day,

In other words, someone would could twist KevR into a pretzel with one hand while guzzling a beer with the other.

Beer and pretzels. Now we're talking!

bawalker
January 28, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
lol you left out the fresh frosty powder in that John. ;-)

Actually this coming spring and summer I'm going to hit the gym and get started weight lifting from my college days. I'd like to get around 250-260 of muscular weight and really work on stamina/power lifting to get myself really ready for 2004/2005 ski/board season.

tromano
January 28, 2004
Member since 12/19/2002 🔗
998 posts
Ba,

I think you will way overpower most newbie skis especially those under 170. I would consult a reputable shop, drive into Ski Center if you have to, and try a long term rental. Once you get to a solid intermediate level, given your size and strength, you will probabbly move up to something in the 180-190+ range. But at that point you should do some demos.

KevR
January 28, 2004
786 posts
I was going to suggest Ski Center also and I am guilty of being a pretzel I guess...!

I assumed actually at 6'5" and 250 &skiing that you are in pretty good shape (maybe great shape), and you will overpower a wet noodle beginner ski (probably)...

that's what I was trying to get at & I don't know that any of us here really know what ski would be good, was sorta my other point that I didn't mention too loudly.

So maybe the good ski shop could point you to some skis & or maybe even rentals that would work for you.

might be worth the trip!

DC_Skier
January 28, 2004
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
BA,

There is supposedly a good shop in Leesburg. I heard about it on this site, so maybe someone here can help you out with the name & location.

I found the shop:

Pro- FIT SKI & SKATE
545-D East Market Street
Leesburg, VA 20176-4172
(703)777-SKIS (7547)

[This message has been edited by DC_Skier (edited 01-29-2004).]

DC_Skier
January 29, 2004
Member since 01/2/2003 🔗
56 posts
Dude, Look in the mirror! You are huge! 149s will be no fun, you will overpower them. I would go to a shop and tell them you want intermediate skis. See what they recommend and look for a good deal on the ebay. I would recommend a ski like the Atomic C9, but I think at your size even as a beginner they are too soft for you. But they are still worth a try. Why don't you rent a pair for a day. Try 170s to start. You won't have any trouble turning 170s and C9s (I think) are pretty widely available. If you like them, you can get good deals on them on ebay. Good Luck

[This message has been edited by DC_Skier (edited 01-28-2004).]

(Anonymous)
January 29, 2004
Every one has their preferences, but I would suggest you check out a K2 Axis or K2 Axis X. I have a pair of Axis X's and I love them. They are the best ski that I have ever owned and I demo'd many different skis. These skis are forgiving enough for a beginner yet they can take you up to advanced level. They are substantial skis, however, so they may work for a big fellow like your self. As far as length, I ski a 180 and I am 5'9" and weigh 190lbs. You may want to check with a good ski shop such as Princeton Sports to find the correct length for a big fellow such as yourself. Enjoy!
(Anonymous)
January 29, 2004
I agree with snowsmith, the K2 Axis series are really nice skis. My wife and father in law both ski these and really enjoy them. They are built pretty solid, maybe a bit heavy, but very versatile.
bawalker
January 29, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
That really brings the question too... where do I go to demo equipment? I know certain manufacturers and stores will take one or two days per season to demo equipment at resorts, but have I missed that for this year yet?
bawalker
January 30, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for the address in Leesburg. I was just going to ask if there was anything down that way since my dentist is on King St. in Leesburg.
(Anonymous)
January 30, 2004
Hey BA, I'm about your size. 6'4" and about 255lbs. I started out skiing and then went to snowboarding. Now I do both and throw in some telemark skiing just for fun. I'm currently using 191cm Rossignol Bandit X's for apline and 186cm Rossi Hellgates for tele. I had about 10 years on skis before I started snowboarding. Rode a board exclusively for about 4-5 years and have been on both for about 3-4 years. If I were you I probably wouldn't go shorter than 170cm to start with. Think about demoing or renting till you find a length you can grow with. Check Ski Barn up in Canaan Valley. They normally have a pretty good selection of newer model skis for rent. You might also consider taking a lesson. It will help shorten up your (re)learning curve and get your skills to where you want them to be. Good luck.
(Anonymous)
February 21, 2004
go big, big man. i have lots of friends who are your size, and extremely aggressive skiers.
any wimpy ski under 180 will not be enough ski underfoot for you.

you might even get a smokin' hot deal on skis that are new, but a couple years old, when they were still around 190cm, longest. i have a rockin' pair of dynastar 4x4powertrac 192cm, which would be perfect for someone your size. that way, you could get a little better before you get into a more energetic ski, and throw down the big bucks.
you will never get better, esp. if you keep hitting the weights, if you're on a pair of skis that have no response, or life in them.
you gotta find something that fits you.

go big, go often.

bawalker
February 24, 2004
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I found these online... would these work for me?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PROFRAME&PROD_ID=626262#

Mainly when it comes to skiing I am about the most beginner their is only mastering the wedge on something no steeper than the upper salamander. I want something small that isn't so large that my tips would cross every time I tried to learn to control them like they did when i got a concussion a few years back.

[This message has been edited by bawalker (edited 02-24-2004).]

warren
February 25, 2004
Member since 07/31/2003 🔗
485 posts
bawalker,
Well, what skis are best are a personal choice. What's best for one may very well not be the best for another. It sounds like you're looking for a pair of beginner carving skis. Part of what determines the right ski is your height and weight. If you're tall, you'll want a longer ski (not 8' planks!). The reason is, the longer ski will give you more edge surface to turn with and control speed. If you're lighter, then a softer flex ski would most likely be in order. From what I could see on the Overstock web site (which wasn't much detail), the Rossignol cut skis appeared to have a nice side cut profile and offered fairly short lengths (150,160,170). I couldn't really tell what the characteristics of the Orions G-Force skis are and the only length offered is 170. That's my 2 cents worth. Hope this helps vs confuses...

-Warren-

Roy
February 28, 2004
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
bawalker, if I remember correctly, you're from West Virginia. Snowshoe had a great demo shop at Top of the World with about 8-10 different pairs of demo skis to rent. They're a little more expensive than regular rentals but I used them 3 times last year in my search for skis.

Most resorts have demo rentals. Look in the ski shop of the resort and that's where you can find them (even Ski Liberty rents demos).

Lietmotiv
February 29, 2004
Member since 12/31/2001 🔗
113 posts
Forget Snowshoe for demos. Unless you just want to ski 1 ski all day.

Snowshoe really needs to come down to reality when it comes to their demo pricing. For $40 you get to pick 1 (ONE) pair of skis or a snowboard. If it sucks or you want to try something else...Sorry...Rent again...

I learned if you pay an additional $20 (Total $60) you can swap out gear. When I went to check out the demo center it was one of their busiest weekends (MLK) and it appeared that they might have rented 5 pairs out of the 100+ or so they had. Place was abandoned.

When I went to Alta, $36 a day and you could swap out all day long.

[This message has been edited by Lietmotiv (edited 02-29-2004).]

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.