used alpine ski equipment search
11 posts
5 users
3k+ views
malina
October 8, 2003
Member since 10/8/2003 🔗
5 posts
I am trying to find a used ski store in MD DC or VA..?!
snowcone
October 8, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
You might want to try Ski Chalet or some of the other local shops, they often have used skis for sale. There are also any number of ski swaps during the next few weeks where you can find used equipment in good condition. Look on the front page of DCSKi for local swaps. Also check the local ski resorts; when they upgrade their rental skis/boots they put the old ones on sale cheap, with the caveat being they are -very- used!

I don't know if you are looking for a particular model of ski, boot or binding. If you are not, you might check out some of the package deals on new equipment offered by local shops. Quite often these deals can save you a great deal for a small additional investment over the cost of used equipment.

Good luck in your search.

malina
October 8, 2003
Member since 10/8/2003 🔗
5 posts
Thanks for this ideeas I will start first with the local stores around me!
malina
October 8, 2003
Member since 10/8/2003 🔗
5 posts
Hello! Snowcone you are the best I went to DCSKI and now I know about the ski swaps its cool !
thanks again
PhysicsMan
October 8, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
1) For at least the past few seasons, the Ski Chalet stores in Arlington and Gaithersburg each had an area about the size of a small room devoted to used equipment being sold on consignment. Call to make sure they are still doing it this season.

2) Just south of Rockville, there is a store on Rt. 355, about a half mile south of Wintergreen plaza (opposite side of the street) which sells used, demo and previous seasons' (but new) ski and golf equipment. The name may even be "Ski and Golf", but I could be wrong on this. They are closed right now, but a sign on the door says that they will be opening back up as ski season approaches. Be advised that they have been on the verge of going out of business since they opened.

3) In Ellicott City, MD, there is a second hand sports store ("Play It Again Sports") that also carries similar ski equipment.

However, unless you:

(a) Know a lot about skis (ie, what you or your family really needs, the performance and target skier for each of the obscure older models that you run into, etc.);

(b) Have a very good idea about fair pricing of individual ski models for the past several years; and,

(c) Are willing to accept the probability of zero or low quality after-sales service (eg, re-mounting and testing bindings) on the equipment,

don't bother patronizing Store #2. #3 is a bit better, but it is still a far cry from Ski Chalet (#1). The pros and cons of buying equipment in places like #2 and #3 (or ebay) have been discussed here in the past. A search should turn up the thread.

One final comment: If you are looking to buy at such places for your kids, I'd again urge you to exercise serious caution about stores #2 and #3. While they might be able to talk a good story, their real purpose is to move low profit merchandise, not to give advice or put your kids on equipment that is optimal for learning. For kids, a very good alternative approach is to either do season leases on the equipment, or buy from well established stores that have guaranteed yearly buy-back policies that can be exercised as the kids grow. The economics of these approaches are surprisingly attractive.

HTH,

Tom / PM

PS - edited to correct the name of the Ellicott city store.

[This message has been edited by PhysicsMan (edited 10-08-2003).]

snowcone
October 8, 2003
Member since 09/27/2002 🔗
589 posts
"2) Just south of Rockville, there is a store on Rt. 355 .. the name was Ski and Golf"

... is now closed and the shop is for lease. The stock in there was from the closing of Inner Ski in Gaithersburg. The prices at the closeout shop were outrageously high, especially considering that no returns were accepted and no service on equipment.

Going with one of the reputable shops in the area is truely your best bet.

malina
October 8, 2003
Member since 10/8/2003 🔗
5 posts
I know about the SKi Chalets secound hand section but the price was to high for me ,I need a low price becouse I am moving a lot around ,I do not want a good equipment for life I am not ready for this! I will check the stores you told me about.I am a medium level skier so I should not have problems to chose ..at least I hope so,
thanks
(Anonymous)
October 8, 2003
http://www.playitagainsports.com/franchise/storefinder.asp
malina
October 8, 2003
Member since 10/8/2003 🔗
5 posts
yes you have right ,I do not want to get hurt by buying some crap,i will take your advice and make the best choise!
PhysicsMan
October 9, 2003
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
Snowcone - As of last Thursday, there was a sign on the door of "Ski and Golf" saying that they intended to re-open for the start of the season. I don't think that sign was there a few weeks earlier, so I tend to believe they intend to make one last-ditch effort to bring in revenue.

They will probably close their doors for good after that, and as far as I am concerned, I will be glad to see them gone for exactly the reasons you stated. BTW, their merchandise was not only from Inner Ski. They told me that they bought stuff from other ski shops that had folded.

Malina - Although you said, "I do not want a good equipment for life I am not ready for this!", you will make skiing much harder for yourself and possibly even dangerous if you are put on the wrong (or really poor) equipment. You can get on decent equipment and still only pay a low price if you get it from a reputable source such as one of the better stores or one of the National Ski Patrol sponsored ski swaps.

Cheget - thanks for the link. I remembered the name of the Ellicott City store incorrectly and fixed it in my previous msg.

Tom / PM

[This message has been edited by PhysicsMan (edited 10-08-2003).]

ScotS244
January 29, 2004
Member since 01/29/2004 🔗
122 posts
You can score some seriously great deals on higher end skis in the used section at Ski Chalet right after the season ends, through the summer and even before the big August sale. Go in on a slow, hot as nutz summer day and ask the manager or assistant manager if any employees are selling their skis (the ones they rode on) from the previous season. They are usually in fantastic condition (hey, the shop is at their disposal for taking care of them during ski season) and as mentioned by PhysicsMan are sold on consignment. Or, if you have the time, try seeking part time employment at a local shop during the ski season and see what kinds of benefits you will receive; you may be pleasantly surprised.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?