Steamboat
6 posts
3 users
1k+ views
JoeSoccerFan
December 19, 2001
Member since 12/19/2001 🔗
17 posts
FYI, I got reasonable priced airline tickets to Denver ($220) RT from 1/6 to 1/14 and an employee discount on the hotel room 1 mile from Steamboat Springs. If anyone is going to be at Steamboat Springs during this time, let me know, maybe we can hook up. I'm leaving my wife and daughter at home. So skiing for a week by myself will be different.

Questions. I have read the article by J.C. on 2/11/01 about Steamboat (hopefully this link works: http://www.dcski.com/news/2001/02_11_2001/steamboat.php . Does anyone have any helpful advice?

I am a lower-intermediate skier (blues at Liberty on the back-side are fun - made it down blue streak (alive ) twice verrrrry slowly). I've never been out west nor VT. Will the blues be too difficult? I typically bring a cooler for sandwiches and water to Liberty (tastier and cheaper). It seems that there are multiple peaks with multiple lodges at Steamboat. Is it feasible to bring a cooler there?

Any advice, links, suggestions or even reminiscing (sp?) would be greatly appreciated.

By the way, everyone in the mid-atlantic region can blame me for the lack of snow so far, because I bought an advantage card to Liberty this year. However, I'm taking credit that Liberty will be making snow on Thursday, because I'm going to Colorado.

Thanks,
Joe

PhysicsMan
December 19, 2001
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
> FYI, I got reasonable priced airline
> tickets to Denver ($220) RT from 1/6 to
> 1/14 and an employee discount on the hotel
> room 1 mile from Steamboat Springs.

Sounds like you got a super deal. I'm jealous! I was out there last year in Dec and it was super. Your timing couldn't be better - ie, good snow, after the xmas rush.

If you are not locked into lodging already, I would check out the prices at the Rabbit Ears Motel. Its often better than the best of the non-employee "deals". Its not fancy, but clean, quiet, right on the bus route, right across from the hot springs, right at one end of Main street (so you can walk to all the downtown (ie, better value) restaurants), and probably a historic landmark.

You didn't mention how you were getting from DIA to Steamboat. If you are driving, listen to the weather and/or the Colo DOT road report for Rabbit Ears Pass. It occasionally will be pretty dicy up there, so if you don't have chains / 4wd, don't risk it. Sightsee in Denver or somewhere else for a day and let any bad weather blow through.

> If anyone is going to be at Steamboat
> Springs during this time, let me know,
> maybe we can hook up. I'm leaving my wife
> and daughter at home. So skiing for a week
> by myself will be different.

That's exactly my situation, and is exactly what *I* did for the first time last year as well. ...humm, given the poor start to the ski season around here, maybe I should do the same thing this year.

> Does anyone have any helpful advice?
> ...
> I am a lower-intermediate skier (blues at
> Liberty on the back-side are fun - made it
> down blue streak (alive ) twice verrrrry
> slowly). I've never been out west nor VT.
> Will the blues be too difficult?

Steamboat is an intermediate's heaven. Given the width of their trails and quality of the snow, you should have no problem at all unless you get powder. If you aren't already taking lessons and a big dump hits, I would definitely sign up. Its very different from skiing on groomers.

If you are not taking lessons or have a local to show you around, its a very big mountain. They apparently offer guided tours every day, and I would take as many as you can until they started to repeat themselves.

I presume you will be renting equipment. I found much better deals on equipment at the independent ski shops between the area and town. In most places, I find the normal rentals to be utter dogs, so I would go with "performance" rentals (sometimes called "demos")

> I typically bring a cooler for sandwiches
> and water to Liberty (tastier and
> cheaper). It seems that there are multiple
> peaks with multiple lodges at Steamboat.
> Is it feasible to bring a cooler there?

I wouldn't. Its a big mountain, and simply getting back to wherever you stashed it could waste a lot of time.

> Any advice, links, suggestions or even
> reminiscing (sp?) would be greatly
> appreciated.

1. Take a stroll along the Yampa. It goes right through town and there is a nice path. Its quite something in cold weather with fog rising from it.

2. If you happen to be seriously into photography, I can hook you up with a fantastic person who does photo tours of the area, runs photo ed courses, featured in the annual "Photographer's Market" last year, etc.

3. I discussed restaurants in a thread on BLARP (www.blarp.com) several months ago. That forum is not very active anymore, but still has the old threads archived. I forgot if you can do searches as a "guest", but, if not, register and do a search on "restaurant" and "steamboat" and "physicsman". It should turn right up.

> By the way, everyone in the mid-atlantic
> region can blame me for the lack of snow
> so far, because I bought an advantage card
> to Liberty this year.

Again, we are very similar. This is the first year I bought one as well - arghhh!

Anyway, have a great time, and if you have any questions or simply want to chat, drop me an email (physicsman000@yahoo.com). BTW, I'm probably only a few miles from your location in Laurel.

Tom / PM

Roy
December 28, 2001
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
I'll be hitting Steamboat in February. They've been getting lots of champagne so far.

Let me know how the trip was and anything interesting I should check out.

JoeSoccerFan
December 29, 2001
Member since 12/19/2001 🔗
17 posts
Roy,
Only if you reciprocate with your Jackson Hole info.

Tom,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I got a employee rate for $35/night. Rabbit Ears
looked nice but it cost twice that!

I plan on taking a lesson (or two).

Here are a couple of rental places that I found:
Terry Sports
http://www.terrysports.com/rates.htm

Ski Kare
http://www.rockymountainfun.com/skikarerates.html

Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about these two? Or another recommendation...

Joe

Roy
December 29, 2001
Member since 01/11/2000 🔗
609 posts
No problem Joe. 6 days away fromthe hole!
PhysicsMan
December 29, 2001
Member since 11/20/2001 🔗
218 posts
> I got a employee rate for $35/night.
> Rabbit Ears looked nice but it cost twice
> that!

JoeSF -

Good deal! I paid in the mid $50's and thought I was doing good, but it was early season when I was there.

Have fun. Post a report when you get back.

Tom / PM

DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?