Snowboarding tips
8 posts
6 users
2k+ views
bawalker
December 4, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
I know this is predominately a ski forum, ski site, but I'm a boarder by nature. Don't ask me why but I tried skiing for 5 years once or twice a year when I had the time and finances, and regardless of lessons, or the amount of sincerety involved I couldn't get the ole legs and skis to co-ordinate.

Anyway I tried boarding for the first time last year and within 3 trips I was not only addicted but had advanced to actually be able to handle the "Salamander" at timberline really well. Of course my friends (boarder from the french alps) decides to take me to "The Drop" that day. Needless to say I didn't do very well on it but thankfully to the deep snow I survived.

Anyway this year I'm much smarter and wiser regarding a few things and am wondering if anyone has tips on boarding. My current is that I am able to carve satisfactory on a mild Blue slope.

SeaRide
December 6, 2003
Member since 03/11/2004 🔗
237 posts
bawalker -
I do snoboard, too. I have converted to shredding about 4-5 yrs ago from skiing (over 15yrs).
I think the first time I learn to snowboard was at either Liberty or Timberline.
My suggestion is to take a lesson so you can advance alot more that way. Do you know how to 'cat-walk'? Do you know how to alternate while riding? How about 'tail-hop'? If not, take the lesson (choose intermediate level if you rather) unless you want to cover all basics by going thru beginner level lesson.
Once you've mastered to snowboard on the dbl black slope, then you can hit the powder out West on the blue slope.

Crush
December 6, 2003
Member since 03/21/2004 🔗
1,271 posts
LOL that is so funny you post this message ... just yesterday I took my *first* snowboarding lession! I have to say that not doing the "friends teaching friends" thing and taking a lession is the best way. I liked my instructor because he was technical and could explain things using a variety of methods. Although a snowboard is real intuitive to use, having a pro explain the edging, using torsional flex between the front and back feet, etc made me learn it real fast, like on my second run I was linking turns down moderate slopes. I only biffed about 4 times and my toe-side carves came pretty fast. I can even lay out a little and get the board to not skid so much and can ride switch not too bad .... all because I took a lession from a pro!
canaanman
December 6, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
JR- Is it a rite of passage or what? Whereas most people come home after the first day with a sore bottom, I came home with black (oh, there was no blue in there) knees. I had problems standing up, not sitting down.

I've personally been snowboarding for 7 years, going on my 8th this season. I did infact ski for about 12 years, and there were a few years when I did both.

If you are able to make carves on blue trails (such as Timberline's Dew Drop) you are probably ready to step it up a notch. You will find that in the beginning going from edge to edge on black diamonds like you do on blue squares will not get what you need to get done... you'll go rocketeering down the trail and probably into the intensive care unit. Instead, at first, you'll want to slip your carves from time to time.

By "slip" your carves what I mean is that you make a toeside or heelside carve and instead of rolling right back into another turn you can push with the uphill foot (push downhill) to give you a speed-check then go into your next turn. It's very similar to skiing very steep terrain where you have to turn and slide a little to remain in control. Eventually you'll grow out of having to do this and will be able to either extend your turns more laterally or vertically against the fall line to keep your speed in check.

So to jump on the subject of body movement here... when you are doing these turns with the short slide at the end you will probably want to turn your upper body some. Later on you can play with putting pressure on your back foot and such and manuvering it to limit upper body rotation. But for now you'll probably want to turn a little to the left for a heelside or a little to the right on a toeside, and if you must, use your arms to counter balace. In chop you will end up on your stomach or behind a few times simply because you'll lose contact with the snow... but this won't need to go on forever.

Aside from riding those blacks... focus on riding switch. You will be slapping your self x number of years later for not being able to ride moderatly well switch. This becomes a big thing if you ever start riding in the park or pipe... or just on random occasions on the hill where you need to get out of a tight spot or avoid something.

Happy Riding! (And avoid T-Line rentals... you really don't want to know what goes on down there with the boards).

PS- Didn't you find Salamander a little flat?

bawalker
December 6, 2003
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Thanks for all the tips. I actually got lessons at Wisp last year which were to have been group lessons but I was the only person that showed up. That helped tremendiously where as I learned the basic maneuvering of catwalking and such.

Mainly it took me a bit longer to aquire balance on the board where I would overturn, underturn and either way take nice faceplants in the snow. heh. I am at the point now that when I go down the salamander (yeah it is flat esp at the top) I can do wide side to side carves as well as riding switch. I never intentionally tried to ride switch, the board would continue to loop around when I would try to stop so I had to loop around again. I got quite proficent at that.

JR
December 7, 2003
Member since 01/1/2003 🔗
276 posts
There's still just something special about taking a friend out for the first time and watching them BEAT THE CRAP out of themself. I did it, my friend did it, and his friend before that. Its just the way it should be.
canaanman
December 7, 2003
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
358 posts
Nah, the top of Sally isn't too terrible on a board. You can just not strap the back foot in and push if you need, then snap it in when you start moving... I was referring to that long stretch between Off-The-Wall and The Drop. That's reason Numero Uno that I don't ride Off-The-Wall as frequently as The Drop. Trying to fly between beginners is tricky and dangerous business.

*Sigh* I should be giving lessons... I could be making money off this experience. But I'd rather just ride.

kennedy
December 9, 2003
Member since 12/8/2001 🔗
792 posts
Listen to canaanman. Ride switch as often as you can. It sucks at first but if you master it you are gold. I on the other hand have not spent enough time doing this. Now I can't ride switch to save my life. I can rip good foot forward but switch I'm like a beginner. I think that will be my focus this year ride switch more. Like one run in four completely switch

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?