Skier's Edge machine
5 posts
4 users
2k+ views
Gill
November 30, 1999
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
Anybody ever use this machine? If so, is it worth the $700 it sells for? I've seen the video and am considering getting it, but I'm wondering if it's all hype of if it actually works as stated. Am I better off carving turns down hills on my in-line skates or what?
Otto
December 1, 1999
Member since 11/19/1999 🔗
176 posts
I have never used one, but I have seen them and can think of a lot of reasons not to spend the money and why in-line skating is so much better. Learning and/or improving balance - Skiers edge is static, involves few balance skills. In lines are dynamic and require balance skills in several planes. Your feet are fixed in place on a platform on the skier's edge and on skates you have to steer the feet, angulate the feet, and have your feet work independently of each other.
Last, the movement patterns encouraged by the machine are only going to reinforce unweighting movements that are antithetical to modern technique and shaped skis. Skate.
Gill
December 1, 1999
Member since 06/23/2000 🔗
61 posts
Thanks Otto,

I've heard back from several folks about the machine and judging by the number of negative responses, I think I'll stick to my skates. Rather that blow the big bucks on the Skier's Edge, I'll invest in some warm windproof fleece for wintertime skates.

ishaffer
December 29, 1999
Member since 12/29/1999 🔗
14 posts
A friend of mine has the Skiers Edge machine and I got to try it a bit.

First off, it does what it says it does. It bounces back and forth in the perfect parallel positioning. If you don't turn your feet to go with the flow, you'll just about fall off if you are moving at a good pace.

Secondly, it is a bit cheesy. I don't think that it will really help your technique much from continued use. I think that the mechanics of the ski slope and bumps preclude getting any real technique out of this machine.

I think that it will however tone these "skiers" muscles a bit. After 5 minutes, I was definately feeling a bit sore in the thighs and butt. I was also getting a cardio workout from the continued motion.

In short, it is kind of cheesy and very overpriced. I think that it is also boring.

IMHO, it's nothing more than a cycle machine or rowing machine for skiers.

Scott - DCSki Editor
January 1, 2000
Member since 10/10/1999 🔗
1,249 posts
Speaking of rowing machines, I've been extremely happy with the Concept 2 rowing machine, which gives a good full-body aerobic workout. (Their web site is www.concept2.com.)

In my opinion, the Concept 2 is the only health club quality machine you can buy for under $1,000 that lives up to its billing. You won't see the Concept 2 advertised in any infomercials, but you'll find it in school gyms and health clubs across the world. They only sell direct.

Geez, I'm starting to sound like an advertisement.. Anyway, the Concept 2 is the only home machine that I've found to be somewhat fun instead of boring. Even so, I'd rather get my exercise outside skiing or biking.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.