Timberline and Canaan Resort in WV, seeking tips
15 posts
9 users
4k+ views
skidding
January 24, 2010
Member since 01/24/2010 🔗
44 posts
I will be skiing at Timberline and Canaan in WV, Feb. 1 to Feb. 5.

If anyone has any advice on the best runs to ski (and avoid), best deals, things to do, places to go, and whatever else comes to mind about the area -- I'd be interested in reading them.

If anyone will be there during that time, I'd be interested in knowing that too. Thanks!
bousquet19 - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2010
Member since 02/23/2006 🔗
778 posts
Welcome to the group, skidding! A helpful bunch here. If you can tell us more about the kinds of trails you like to ski, we can probably offer useful advice on runs at CV.

For ticket deals: check www.liftopia.com I saved money on CV tix this season there.

For food: check out Hellbender Burritos in Davis, Sirianni's pizza in Davis, and, the ultimate: White Grass Cafe.

Enjoy, Woody
David
January 24, 2010
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Don't forget to make reservations at Whitegrass if you choose to go there. They are always booked up the day of. I recommend a few days in adavance AT LEAST. Oh yeah, the food is AWESOME!! Atmosphere is great too!
TGV
January 24, 2010
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
We have a site that may help you - its locally owned and operated, updated daily: www.visitcanaan.com
Lodging: you will see where the resorts are compared to your lodging. Nearly all houses have an interactive floor plan & photos.
Skiing: no matter where you go (Timberline with 1000 vertical, Canaan with 850) you will want to show up early for the best skiing. Timberline has more vertical, and is a little more expensive. Canaan has a little less vertical, but also offers tubing and airboarding on site.
Ice skating is available in Canaan Valley state park - usually uncrowded.
As mentioned above: White Grass is the place to eat in the winter (they are closed in the summer). You will want to come back during the warmer months and hit Mutley's in Davis - excellent steaks.
Not sure if you are alone or with family... but either way, you may want to do more than just eat at White Grass. It's one of the largest Touring Center on the East Coast. By far, they have the best rentals of telemark gear as well as of course: cross country skiing, skate skiing and snowshoes. Trail system is right outside the door and starts from super too easy to "should I be here" steeps. Very casual, and down to earth.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 24, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
skidding,
Great to have you aboard DCSki. As for spending a week in the Canaan Valley area.
If looking for lodging, check out the Canaan Valley Lodge. Usually have great mid-week deals, also run a bus to the CV ski area. For example,
"Prime Season Packages
Canaan Stay & Ski Package
(Prime Season - Midweek, non-holiday)
Valid: Jan. 3 - March 4, 2010
1 Day/Night: $69 per person / based on double occupancy
Package Inclusions: lodging, lift ticket, breakfast, and Beech Club privileges. Bonus: This package includes complimentary group ski lesson + $2 off coupon toward snow tubing, inclusive"
. And kids stay free with parents.
For fun while in Canaan, try the toboggan/sled run at Blackwater Falls State Park...another area with lodging, albeit further away. Be sure to call first to make sure the sledding area is open. There is a rope tow to get you and your sled/toboggan/skis back to the top. And be sure to take time to visit the Blackwater Falls, awesome, especially if frozen.
There is a tubing park at the CV ski area. You might be picking a great time to visit...after the thaw and just after a potential snowstorm. By the way, CV lodge has an indoor pool and ice skating rink. If you stay there ask for a room on the ground floor in the rear of the "Deer" building...the real deer will come right up to your door.
Again, welcome to DCSki!!
The Colonel smile
JimK - DCSki Columnist
January 24, 2010
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
This trip report from last year might give you some ideas:
http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1177&mode=search

Welcome to DCSki.com
fishnski
January 24, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Half time..Go Colts!...Yeh..Blackwater Falls a must!..Drive thru the State area for Awesome wild Deer & scenic view Pics..I don't know of a ski run at both sites that could not be recomended..Timberline Pub!!..There is Pizza del now at the Valley..sorry no #..TUCKERS!..Golden Anchor for seafood!..Canaan Valley stores for almost anything convenient At a not so jacked up price..Just take a drive & a Hike to witness one of the most scenic Alpine areas Anywhere..Lucky to be in Dc's backyard..& Ohio's!!..Since you are skiing mid week enjoy the place to yourselves!.....& Drum roll please...I Predict Snow for ya!!!!!..Enjoy..& keep coming back!
skidding
January 24, 2010
44 posts
Thanks for all the responses so far.

I already have a Land of Canaan condo reserved for this trip, so I will keep the lodging suggestions for next time. I'll check out the restaurants and other suggestions and Blackwater Falls.

bousquet19 - as far as what I like to ski - blues and blacks. I am not a bump skier and I don't have a lot of experience in the trees.

Is WISP worth a day trip from the area? I'd guess there will be enough to keep me busy at Canaan and Timberline.
TGV
January 24, 2010
337 posts
Wait a minute... it's: Visit Canaan.com - not visit wisp.
<smiles>
I am sure you will have plenty to do - spending 2 weeks straight wouldn't have you see it all. If you must, it's 1h20min to Wisp (one way, driving normal speeds)
fishnski
January 25, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
You stop & take too many Pics TGV smile..I can get to Wisp from Canaan Stores in 50 min.
TGV
January 25, 2010
337 posts
How did you know?!
The drive is beautiful - gotta stop.
jimmy
January 25, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: fishnski
You stop & take too many Pics TGV smile..I can get to Wisp from Canaan Stores in 50 min.

Hey Honey, hold my beer and watch this wink .
kwillg6
January 25, 2010
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Ah ha, Jimmy. I know that line. Skidding, if you are into something different, and conditions are right, you otta try snow shoeing. If you hike up to the valley rim along the sods, the views are breathtaking. I believe you can rent them at Whitegrass. Welcome to our corner of paradice.
Kim
TGV
January 25, 2010
337 posts
Looks like we could receive another 5 inches between tonight and tomorrow night.
skidding
January 28, 2010
44 posts
Thanks for all the response. Hope some snow is on the way to Canaan, because I will be in about 36 hours!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?