Not Happy to see you
33 posts
13 users
9k+ views
TGV
January 20, 2010
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
I was sleeping, finally catching up on some rest. It was nice, and even had wonderful dreams. One of them was in color:
"Timberline has just received a High Speed Quad".

I am not happy to see you - because I woke up. sleep
fishnski
January 20, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
I've been Dreamim that dream since I rode the 1st lift up that Mountain 19/20 years ago...rode the same lift last trip...
Think positive..we got a new "Motel"... cry
fishnski
January 20, 2010
3,530 posts
I just want to add that over the years I've known both Fred & Doc(Owners) to be quality folks..really nice people...TL is thier baby & they are raising it the way they see fit...I don't agree with thier vision & the pace they choose..I think they could do better, but what can we do?..they have control of an area that we will always go to because of the fact that its in Canaan Valley which is one of the most beautiful & snowy places east of the Rockies.& THEY KNOW THAT!!!..thats the problem..
kwillg6
January 21, 2010
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
It's not that they don't care @ t-line. They just don't have the resources. They need more than just a faster lift. There's the lodge, the snowmaking infrastructure, roads and parking lots, etc.... What they do have is one of the best ski mountains in one of the best locations south of New England. The conditions last week and the week before proved that point out. They also have a loyal base of clients who support their efforts to provide a superior skiing experience regardless of their deficiencies. An environment such as Whitetail's is not for everybody although t-line management could learn something from it.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort
TGV
January 21, 2010
337 posts
I agree.
Please keep in mind that I was merely "dreaming". No matter how much I try to promote the area with my out-of-pocket money, I am not owner (of the resort).
And... no matter what I do; the area is still incredibly beautiful. It is what it is. Best to enjoy while we can - with today's reality.
I still want a new pair of skis, a new lift (or two), a brand new lodge (yeah, with really large beams), faster snowmaking, better smelling bathrooms, longer snow seasons, and even more vertical... Dreaming (with music) is good for the "soul".
scottyb
January 21, 2010
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
Dreaming is free.

Be nice if T-line could get its financial house in order. It does not help when employee pay checks bounce and the IRS is selling off assets and land to pay your tax bill. Seems like they had painted themselves into a corner.

Maybe this has changed?
David
January 21, 2010
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: TGV
better smelling bathrooms

Hey, I don't mind the smell as much as the 1/4" of water on the floor!!

...and heck, part of the mystique of Timberline is the frustration that comes with riding up that slow lift. I just couldn't imagine doing it and not being able to skip to the front of the lift line wink
bawalker
January 21, 2010
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The IRS is selling off Timberline assets?? Which assets??
TGV
January 21, 2010
337 posts
There are two free things in life that I know of:
Dreaming and GPS reception.
I need to stop dreaming and get out in the woods again.
SkiBadger
January 21, 2010
Member since 10/9/2009 🔗
31 posts
...Oh to dream.

T-line is a great MA ski mountain (due mostly to it's snowfall & terrain), however, I think most can agree that this "resort" can be so much better, if a few improvements were made.

This discussion seems like the perfect place to illustrate my thoughts from this past afternoon... that is, if I were owner of T-line and had enough money, what improvements would I make?

Obviously, the first alteration would be to upgrade the old triples to high-speed sixes or, at least, high-speed quads. But if I could go beyond the lift problem, I would construct a whole new and much more accommodating lodge. Further improvements would include on one level or another: Better signage/identification of trails, snow-making, safety, family-friendliness.

If you could play wealthy Timberline owner for a moment, what improvements would you make?
David
January 21, 2010
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: SkiBadger

If you could play wealthy Timberline owner for a moment, what improvements would you make?

I'll bite...

Quite simple actually...I'd make it private. Just me and my buddies!!
JohnL
January 22, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:

Feed the chipmunk that powers the lift so I'd get up the mountain 5 minutes faster. Don't really need a high speed or a 6 pack. If you had one, the trails would get too crowded.

Force anyone who causes a lift stoppage to spend all night winter camping in the Dolly Sods.

Regrow the trees between Silver Streak and White Lightning and call it an upgrade. wink

Never groom a black or double B on a powdah day. Evah.

Hire Jimmy and Tucker to be the meet and greet Walmart-style hey y'alls.

Let Tucker build a terrain park in the Sods.

Let Jimmy be Jimmy.

Install faster beer service at Timbers. Every third beer is free.

More single women. Better yet, more single women with low standards.

Ski boarders and snow plowers are not allowed into the trees. Especially the double blacks.

Cut off all roads into West Virginia, only allowing those who are willing to rough it a bit to enter.

This annual thread always cracks me up pretty good. Folks always want to turn T-Line into an Intrawest resort, but "still maintain it's character." Ya can't have it both ways. Unfortunately, Doc seems to continually make dumb financial/operations decisions, which piss off both the hard-core crowd and the touristas. So lots of times, you have it neither way. Thank God for snow years like this one.

I've never understood the whole lodge and parking lot have to go crowd. That includes you, K-Will. Personally, I'll take the current state if it means prices stay low and place remains relatively uncrowded. Ya can't have it both ways.

I also don't understand the need for better signage/identification of trails. This is the Mid Atlantic for God's sake. Not exactly a Whistler Blackcomb number of trails. Do people now need a GPS device to back out of their own driveways? Apparently so. An iPhone-hosted Google Maps/GPS app so the DC crowd could still talk on their cell phone and be alerted to an upcoming trail.

Snowmaking? Some more fixed guns would help. T-Line snowmaking is like a long boarder; slow to get gowing, but once it does, look out. That said, T-Line definitely should have opened to the top one weekend sooner than they did. No excuses on that.

Safety? I feel a lot safer at T-Line than I do at Whitetail.

For family friendliness, I'll admit I'm way old school. The places I learned to ski at had less amenities than T-Line, if you can believe it. I'm still skiing today; didn't get bored with it. Sometimes I think the problem is us and our current expectations. T-Line is a natural playground and the type of place you feel relatively safe letting kids go off on their own. What more do we need? Disney World, X-Box and Chuckie Cheese?
fishnski
January 22, 2010
3,530 posts
I'd rather dream about A MPC ski area or a Tory Mtn development...50 to 100% more vert & modern equipment in one dream..let timberline be Timberline. Heard they were looking into buying MRG's Single lift to replace the old 1940 colorado lift that has been up there since the grand opening smirk
Tucker
January 22, 2010
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
Originally Posted By: David
I'd make it private. Just me and my buddies!!

...That's funny...that's how I feel it is as is now...

yellowsnow
January 22, 2010
Member since 12/15/2005 🔗
289 posts
How expensive can it be to clean the #$%&! restrooms??
kwillg6
January 22, 2010
2,066 posts
I've never understood the whole lodge and parking lot have to go crowd. That includes you, K-Will.

John... I know you like rustic. After all you do spend your evenings at the Bonner Mountian Resort Hotel. wink But don't blame me for wanting a cleaner, more user friendly lodge area. If they were to consider how the space is currently used and make it more user friendly such as considering traffic flow they would have so much more room. As for the parking lot. just putting down some rock to absorb the mud would be very good indeed.
Then there is the trash issues. I remember a time when there was a person who used to empty trash cans both inside and outside on a regular basis. What's wrong with that?
David
January 22, 2010
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: yellowsnow
How expensive can it be to clean the #$%&! restrooms??

Amen Brutha!!
TGV
January 23, 2010
337 posts
I would start with...signage and then go with:
Friendliness, welcoming.
Trail maintenance in the summer time (requires less snow and thus saves money).
Uniforms (at least a white shirt for all food employees).
Additional snowmaking (can't play without snow).
Faster Lifts (at least turn the speed on the current one to "faster", since that is do-able).
Friendliness (yes, I just wanted to make sure).
Lifties must know how to ski... and please put 3 people on each chair.

Good to dream... but I tell you what: The terrain is fantastic.
Good NEWS:
Timberline took the first steps today in decoration. Posters are all over the lodge - they seem to be somewhat of quality <smile>.

(Sorry, I had to... they are mine.)
SkiBadger
January 23, 2010
Member since 10/9/2009 🔗
31 posts
Right on about the uniforms. I was thinking the exact same thing, but neglected to mention it (felt there were probably more important issues to start with). Can't tell you how many times i've struggled figuring out whether someone is an employee or just plain...

On another note, yes, the terrain IS fantastic for the MA.

And despite some management misgivings, I've found most, if not all, employees to be warm & friendly. Or at least the ones I've encountered.
jimmy
January 26, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Getting the webcam working would be a good start.
kwillg6
January 27, 2010
2,066 posts
I'll mention some of this to Tom and Doc when I'm up this weekend. I think they really want suggestions on what to improve if the costs are not too much.
jimmy
January 27, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Kwill, While you have their ear you might mention that it is customary to serve scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy, sausage patties and the like piping hot.
kwillg6
January 27, 2010
2,066 posts
Aw, com'on Jimmy! What do ya expect??? It isn't a 4 star restaurant. Besides, the boy scouts don't complain. Besides, hot or not, that stuff will kill you if you eat enough.
fishnski
January 27, 2010
3,530 posts
PAD THE LIFT..please!..& put some High test in the tank...
TGV
January 27, 2010
337 posts
I bought a case of Red Bull - done reading the warming signs - NOW ready to feed the lifts (I mean lifties).
Results?
I'll let you know.
TGV
January 28, 2010
337 posts
You are NOT going to believe this, but it's true:
The lifts at Tline were actually "faster" today. Not by much, but still noticeable. Thanks - to whom ever.
Really much appreciated.
fishnski
January 29, 2010
3,530 posts
Must have had a tail wind laugh...I hope someone did figure out a way to speed em up...Let us know if they still seem faster next time please..

(how much did doc pay you to post that?)
jimmy
February 2, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I think they found a way to keep them from stopping/restarting so much.
TomH
February 2, 2010
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Kwill,

I have something that the management should fix and would be very cheap. Chair #75 on the lift next to the ski school meeting place is broken. The counterbalance is not working so the bar comes down on the way down the mountain. On Saturday the lift ran into the skiers waiting on the ramp knocking them down and on Sunday I was on the ramp and we had to step aside before we were bowled over. On Saturday when I got to the top I told the lift attendant and he told me he was aware of the problem and had notified the powers that be several times.

Management should start riding the lifts and skiing a few runs. They might be able to figure out a whole bunch of stuff that would be almost costless to fix that would make the skiing experience better (I could list 10 things I see in one run up the mountain).
jimmy
February 2, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Originally Posted By: TomH
Kwill,

Management should start riding the lifts and skiing a few runs. They might be able to figure out a whole bunch of stuff that would be almost costless to fix that would make the skiing experience better (I could list 10 things I see in one run up the mountain).

Maybe they could start with putting on a pair of ski boots and walking around outside the lodge a bit, three or four laps should do it. The decks are covered with snow, with icy "ramps", in many places you have to walk down into an icy well or slide down a ramp to get off the snow or into the building.
TomH
February 2, 2010
Member since 07/6/2005 🔗
375 posts
Jimmy,

Some of the best wipeouts I've seen at Timberline are on the ice ramp to the patio.
kwillg6
February 2, 2010
2,066 posts
entertaing, ain't it???? grin
comprex
February 2, 2010
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: TGV

promote the area with my out-of-pocket money, I am not owner (of the resort).

*cough*Canaanbus5:30amskishopparkinglot/*cough*
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?