Why remove excess Ski wax?
10 posts
9 users
3k+ views
Godog
January 19, 2010
Member since 01/19/2010 🔗
6 posts
I've tuned my skis both ways, one scrapping and removing excess wax and rubbing with cork and other buffers, and I have ironed wax on and just let like that. I do not notice a difference between either method as far as how the ski preforms. So I am thinking why bother to scrape off excess wax? Any thoughts?
TGV
January 19, 2010
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
I'd remove it to save weight, but more importantly: it's like a deep cleansing. My favorite: poor hot wax, scrap immediately. That should clean your base.
I am NOT a master tunner though, this is just what I do.
gtop
January 19, 2010
Member since 11/5/2008 🔗
34 posts
Leave excess wax on skis. Ski under a snow gun blowing wet snow than tell us how you made out
kwillg6
January 20, 2010
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Usually, we don't ski under sno-guns unless it's the only route..... I rarely scrape. With the usual snow surface here in the MA, I find that it takes one or maybe two runs to have the wax scraped off by the snow thus saving me the time, and clean up.
David
January 20, 2010
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
Usually, we don't ski under sno-guns unless it's the only route..... I rarely scrape. With the usual snow surface here in the MA, I find that it takes one or maybe two runs to have the wax scraped off by the snow thus saving me the time, and clean up.

I think he's referring to the incident that was brought up last year on the forum. I think it may have been JamieGrose??? It was about his but that hit some super fresh man-made at a fairly high speed. Didn't fair well for his clavicle?? or something of that sort....
David
January 20, 2010
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: David

I think he's referring to the incident that was brought up last year on the forum. I think it may have been JamieGrose??? It was about his but that hit some super fresh man-made at a fairly high speed. Didn't fair well for his clavicle?? or something of that sort....

Ah hah! I'm not crazy. Even nailed the clavicle!!

http://www.dcski.com/ubbthreads33/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=51842&page=1
scottyb
January 21, 2010
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.

Would you install a new air filter on your car without taking it out of the box?
JohnL
January 21, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Anything worth doing is worth doing correctly.

Would you install a new air filter on your car without taking it out of the box?

David's studying to become a doctor, so clearly that advice doesn't matter to him. wink
comprex
January 21, 2010
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: David

Even nailed the clavicle!!

Someone other than myself perpetrated this monstrosity.

grin grin grin

I am extremely miffed.
curih
February 1, 2010
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
I discovered why this weekend. Didn't adequately brush out the wax and we both put on our skis and were stuck. Once moving it was ok and after two runs they were sliding great. But at the start of that first one we were almost immobile.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.