Tuning Equipment Advice and Question
15 posts
6 users
6k+ views
skiobsessed
January 12, 2010
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
I got my skis about a year ago and have been using them for about 20 days. How often should you tune and wax your skis?

Since these are my first pair of skis, I would like to learn how to tune my own skis. I have looked at some tuning equipment and was wondering how reliable the Dakine Super Tune Snowboard Tuning Kit?

http://www.amazon.com/Dakine-Super-Tune-...6147&sr=8-1

I know they are for snowboards, but can I use the same one for skis? If not, are there better tuning equipment out there?
comprex
January 12, 2010
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: skiobsessed
How often should you tune and wax your skis?

There is no 'should'. As often as you want to.

Quote:

I have looked at some tuning equipment and was wondering how reliable the Dakine Super Tune Snowboard Tuning Kit?

The only thing that could *fail* in there is the iron. Those irons are pretty reliable.

The kit is fairly complete for a first-time user except it falls short for ski use instead of snowboard use in one respect:

The side edge tool is very aggressive (takes a lot of material off) and it cannot do 3-degree side-edge angles.

scottyb
January 12, 2010
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
here is all you need grasshopper

http://www.tognar.com/
curih
January 13, 2010
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
curih
January 13, 2010
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
And as to your first question, wax as often as you want. I generally do it before every trip, so that varies from every 2 days on snow to as much as 7. Edges you generally want to do as little as you can get away with since you are removing material every time you run a stone or file down them.
skiobsessed
January 13, 2010
80 posts
I will definitely check out the links. Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I'm a bit neglectful and the edges have rust...Yeah, I'll definitely put myself to work this weekend to fix up my skis.
comprex
January 13, 2010
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: skiobsessed

I forgot to mention that I'm a bit neglectful and the edges have rust...Yeah, I'll definitely put myself to work this weekend to fix up my skis.

gummi stone and some Zardoz wipes.
Laurel Hill Crazie - DCSki Supporter 
January 13, 2010
Member since 08/16/2004 🔗
2,038 posts
I de-rust with a gummi stone asap. I dress the edges with a only diamond stone if I can get away with it. I usually find rocks and I like very sharp edges so I often have to light file. I p-tex base gouges near an edge and core shots asap and I try to wax every couple of days, usually with a universal and 'wax of the day' mix.

Maybe once a season a light shop provided base grind to restore structure and even a rare shop edge and wax if I get overwhelmed with a 6 ski tune up task that is my family's quiver.

Get a good kit and do some reading and video watching and remember when it come to files, only as much as needed, go light and maintain consistent angles.
skiobsessed
January 17, 2010
80 posts
I will definitely post before and after pics when I'm done with my first tuning job on my skis. Thanks guys for the information!
Bumps
January 17, 2010
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
I can vouch for the beast product lines. also comes with DVD and reference information that is helpful.
skiobsessed
February 27, 2010
80 posts
I went with the advice on this forum and went with the Beast Product. I opted for their most basic package along with their "Jaws of Beast" seeing that I'm pretty new to the ski game and don't have a lot of money to spend. The instructional video was very helpful and hopefully I will try out my skis soon. Thanks for everyone for their advice.

Darwin
scottyb
February 27, 2010
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
for additional reading I highly recommend

World class ski tuning by Michael Howden, the info is a bit dated but still remains solid. Covers alpine, nordic and those fat things.
Bumps
March 4, 2010
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
I have been thinking about getting their portable table as well. I have a box I carry everything else and genrally lay skis accross chairs or something else when traveling, but am spoiled with clamps and such at home. Anyone lelse use the portable tables? worth the haul to the mountain?
comprex
November 26, 2010
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: Bumps
Anyone lelse use the portable tables? worth the haul to the mountain?

Not worth the airplane haul for me, but YMMV. I cork and side edge only on travel.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?