7Springs: 1/9/10 - 1/11/10 TR and Question
7 posts
6 users
1k+ views
skiobsessed
January 12, 2010
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
I had the good fortunes of going to 7Springs this past weekend. I took advantage of their "White Friday" sale and got myself a room at the lodge and two adult lift tickets for the duration of the stay for ~$170.00.

Overall, the skiing was great. It was pretty crowded on Saturday and Sunday, but the lift lines never got to be more than 3 minutes. We went over the the North Face side of the mountain to avoid the traffic at the Coca Cola Polar Express lift. The crowd dissipated as expected by Monday so you can pretty much ski without waiting. The weather was brutally cold on Saturday and Sunday, but I tried to be game and stay out there for as long as I can. At least it didn't rain like it did the last THREE times I went to 7Springs!

I seem to notice that there are not many people with hydration packs at 7Springs. Which brings up my question: Why do the lift operators insist on you taking off your bag? It got to be annoying since I pull the restraint bar down all the time. If they're worried about loose straps getting caught with the lift, having it on "one arm" as suggested by the lifties would create only more straps to be entangled. If anyone can answer this safety question, I would be grateful!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
January 12, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
I agree it is a pain to take the pack off and look forward to a DCSkier shedding light on this situation. I suspect there either has been an incident that led to this rule, or the insurance carrier insists as a part of the policy. Sometimes I ski with a hydration pak, sometimes with a SMALL backpack, other times with a fanny pack, and in all cases the 7Springs lifties have told me to remove the packs. I can remember once, elsewhere, having a fanny pack get stuck between the back chair supports and giving me a start when I began to try to get off the lift.
Usually if I turn the fanny pack around, facing the front, then I can still leave it strapped to my waist.
The Colonel smile
rbrtlav
January 13, 2010
Member since 12/2/2008 🔗
578 posts
yeah, I believe they had a few problems on the high speed lifts. I doubt this specific example was the sole cause of the policy change, but when we were there about 3 years ago one of the more experienced guys I was skiing with had a camelback get caught on the chair of the polar bear lift when he went to get off. Fortunately he had enough experience to be quick on his skiis and while the bag was trying to drag him back with the lift he got one strap off and the second strap ended up ripping. No one ended up getting hurt and the lift operator stopped the lift soon after the chair started to turn the corner, but after that he dropped the camelback off at the lodge, as it gave him a good scare.

I guess the bottom line is once the bag gets caught especially when there are 6 people on a chair stuff can happen real fast and people can get hurt, and they want to avoid stopping the lifts as much as possible.

Lastly, I know after that incident (we were with a scout troop) other people in our group stuck their bags under the outer layer they were wearing.
hockeydave
January 13, 2010
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
I hate to be a smarta$$, but I've never had a problem with lift operators when I use my flask filled with Captain Morgan as a hydration pack ;-}

On the serious side, I'm sure it only takes one incident and a threat of a lawsuit (thank you ambulance chasing lawyers) for a policy like this to be implemented.
RodSmith
January 13, 2010
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
I've nearly hung myself with a Camelback that had one strap buckle caught between chair slats. I had a sore throat for a couple weeks. Could have been worse, but the straps broke before my neck did. Take you pack off for chair rides whether or not instructed to do so.

Mine isn't bulky, so I keep in inside my jacket now. Keeps the water from freezing too.
JohnL
January 13, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I've nearly hung myself with a Camelback that had one strap buckle caught between chair slats. I had a sore throat for a couple weeks. Could have been worse, but the straps broke before my neck did.

Ya should've told me that before I rode the chair with you. I might've reconsidered my options. grin
skiobsessed
January 13, 2010
Member since 03/10/2008 🔗
80 posts
Wow, it's really interesting to hear about the close calls some of you have had with riding the chair lift. I'm glad you guys made out okay.

Good suggestion on wearing the hydration pack under the outer shell. I will be sure to do that next time.

Once again, this forum has been invaluable in teaching me the ins and outs of skiing. Thanks!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.