Whitetail bumps now available
9 posts
6 users
1k+ views
therusty
January 9, 2010
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
422 posts
Exhibition finally has some decent bumps forming. The full width is open and there is a mix of smallish to medium size available. With fresh snow being made nightly and heavy traffic this weekend, larger bumps will be available soon.

The man made bumps on SnowPark have returned. Same place as last year (skier's left after the split with Stalker).

Today some bumps formed on Angel Drop and Far Side during the day, but these trails are groomed nightly.
therusty
January 19, 2010
422 posts
The Snowpark bumps have been moved to the top of Snowpark on skiers left and were very nice last weekend. The top of Snowdancer now also has man made "practice" bumps. Exhibition has one snow cats width groomed on skier's left. Whitetail is a great place to learn how to ski moguls.
JohnL
January 19, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,558 posts
+1

I skied Whitetail on MLK holiday. The 4-5 bumps at the top of Snowdancer (skier's right) is a nice feature. Allows you to warm your legs up gradually or to get some controlled practice. Exhibition had some pretty nice medium-sized soft bumps. Since it was the first day I skied true/extended bumps, they were more than enough for me. (10+ runs down Exhibition, and I'm feeling it today.) The groomed side section is probably a good idea to get sliders down who are over their head (just don't widen it!)

That one tele-dude is there every time I'm there, seemingly skiing nothing but zipper-line bumps on Exhibition. Pretty impressive skiing and pretty impressive conditioning.

I hadn't skied Whitetail in the past two years (T-Line season pass and trips to The Knob.) I've forgotten how much skiing you can get in one day in a place with real lifts. I skied 4.5 straight hours and fell asleep early last night. I got ~10 runs in on the high speed in the first hour. (Early AM snow was a bit soft, but still very nice.) Even with the slower Expert's Quad, you can rack up some quality vertical on Exhibition and Bold Decision.
gizmosnow
January 21, 2010
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Looking for insight on Whitetail.....

Never skied there but 'organizing' a day/overnight trip for a group of friends for first week in March. On the map, Whitetail is the most central for all. Read good things here about Whitetail but 'others' have claimed that Whitetail conditions are often mediocre, especially come March. Looking for terrain to accommodate intermediate to advanced. Also, are there adequate accommodations for those who may want to do an overnight? I have a place at HV but want to try to balance out the driving distance for all especially if skiing at Whitetail could be at least equal or better than HV. How does Whitetail usually compare to HV re: weather, snow, terrain (know the weather is unpredictable)?

Thanks, in advance to everyone for your input!
comprex
January 21, 2010
Member since 04/11/2003 🔗
1,326 posts
Originally Posted By: gizmosnow
Looking for insight on Whitetail.....
Never skied there but 'organizing' a day/overnight trip for a group of friends for first week in March. On the map, Whitetail is the most central for all. Read good things here about Whitetail but 'others' have claimed that Whitetail conditions are often mediocre, especially come March.

All of that is, in fact, correct.

Quote:

Looking for terrain to accommodate intermediate to advanced.

All of that is available, is crowded on weekends, and is seriously weather-dependent in March. read: mud spots.

Quote:

Also, are there adequate accommodations for those who may want to do an overnight?

There is now a Sleep Inn in Clear Spring.

Quote:

I have a place at HV but want to try to balance out the driving distance for all especially if skiing at Whitetail could be at least equal or better than HV.

Where are you coming from?

Balancing out driving distance may be a fools errand if it means that one set of people has to drive further to ski worse snow.
KeithT
January 21, 2010
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
To add to Comprex's fools errand. Because of Whitetail's exposure it gets hit hard by the warm March morning sun, and conditions get grim well before its sister resorts who have better exposure.
gizmosnow
January 23, 2010
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Thanks to all for input. Will likely stick with a HV/7S trip. Couple folks will have to drive further but can convince them to stay overnight in my place. Early March can still be great here in Laurels and the chance for good skiing is most important.
therusty
January 26, 2010
422 posts
There are also various size townhouse rentals on the mountain.

With respect to mediocre conditions, yes it can get slushy in the afternoons on warm spring days. If you're a bump skier this means perfectly soft bumps after 10:30 ish. If you're a powder skier and use Zardoz (a Teflon type wax), that "slush" feels like Sierra powder. As we get close to the end of the season we will lose the trails that were the last ones to open, but the main trails always have good coverage well past the end of the season. Last year I hiked up and got turns on a snow patch in 90 degree weather at the end of April. The upgrades we've made to our snowmaking over the last few years have made a huge difference on the number of trails open at the end of the season and the depth of the snow on them. I will claim that Whitetail conditions are often fantastic, even in March. I work there every weekend of the season so you should either think of me as biased or knowing of what I speak. If you haven't been to Whitetail before, it's worth a trip.
RodSmith
January 26, 2010
Member since 10/22/2004 🔗
318 posts
Right on, Rusty! Just loved it the last time I got up there. Soft bumps, short liftlines, on a Saturday in January! Whitetail always closes with great springfest conditions. Off the hook. Combination of lifts, vert and average gradient unmatched in the region.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.