Lake Effect Heaven
15 posts
10 users
4k+ views
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 6, 2010
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
Every year we have some very nice but short lake effect snow events. These events are really what ski resorts west of the Appalachian front are about. I have seen a few years where we have received some nice accumulations from lake effect snow. But this year is truly amazing. I called the Hidden Valley Foundation this morning to take care of some business and they said they they have recieved 44" of snow since last Friday!! crazy That is more consistent with western resorts rather than here in the Mid-Atlantic. And they are expecting more snow tonight and into the weekend. This situation is beyond anything that I could ever hoped for. Perhaps we have died and gone to "lake effect heaven". However, since I am here at work and not skiing on all that snow, maybe I am in "lake effect purgatory"?

Happy powder skiing!
kwillg6
January 6, 2010
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
The only bummer is that if and when the lakes freeze over, the snows cease. frown I remember back in 95 when we had day upon day of pow-pow but not as much as this. grin
jimmy
January 6, 2010
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
I watched a guy on my way to work last Thursday shoveling his sidewalk with a LEAF BLOWER how cool is that?
JohnL
January 6, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
I watched a guy on my way to work last Thursday shoveling his sidewalk with a LEAF BLOWER how cool is that?

That is pretty light snow.

He must have a relative in my neighborhood. One of my neighbors uses a power washer instead of a rake to remove leaves from his lawn. confused
fishnski
January 6, 2010
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
Originally Posted By: kwillg6
The only bummer is that if and when the lakes freeze over, the snows cease.

The "Lake effect" cease...but a whole different set of dynamics set up..& it will still snow!...
gizmosnow
January 6, 2010
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
Originally Posted By: snowsmith
I called the Hidden Valley Foundation this morning to take care of some business and they said they they have recieved 44" of snow since last Friday!!

Did some runs at HV this p.m. Most snow I've seen here in years! Some of the M18's are buried up to within a foot or two of the cannons/blowers. Snow on my deck is more than half way up the patio doors---and it's all powder.
hockeydave
January 7, 2010
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
Went to shovel at our place at Laurel Mountain Village yesterday afternoon. When standing in certain areas, I could sink in anywhere from knee high to waist high. And there is probably at least a foot of hard pack underneath that. If only LM were open this year. I'm sure if/when LM does reopen, we'll have nothing but rain instead of this Utah-like powder of the past 2 weeks.
Leo
January 7, 2010
Member since 11/15/2005 🔗
356 posts
Probably even more impressive than the amount of snow is the lightness of it.

In the past 5+ years, it seemed like every time we had precip it warmed up. So when we got lucky and stayed just cool enough to snow, it was very heavy. These last few weeks it has been very cold with some of the lightest snow I can remember in a long, long time.

According to some reports I am hearing, the mountains could easily have another 12+ inches by tomorrow night.
kwillg6
January 7, 2010
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
Originally Posted By: Leo

According to some reports I am hearing, the mountains could easily have another 12+ inches by tomorrow night.

Go ahead..... make me feel bad... mad mad mad
hockeydave
January 7, 2010
Member since 06/30/2004 🔗
780 posts
They said the snow wouldn't start until later this afternoon from the Clipper system moving in from the west. Well, at 1100' in elevation, just 18 miles west of Seven Springs, it is coming down heavy again (9:40 AM). Oh, my aching back (lots of shoveling)!!! But it sure is beautiful.
SkiBoarder
January 7, 2010
Member since 05/22/2006 🔗
44 posts
Oh-oh, I feel funny. Must call off sick. Snow Blindness. Damn, why did we make plans here in central MD for this weekend. Hope these conditions last until April!!!!!!
snowsmith - DCSki Supporter 
January 7, 2010
Member since 03/15/2004 🔗
1,576 posts
I called in sick 2 days after the blizzard of 93'. When I called in I was expecting the administrative assistant to answer. To my surprise, the big boss answered the phone, and I did my best to sound sick as I announced that I wasn't coming in to work. The big boss said something like," Wow you sound bad, stay home and get better". Of course as soon as I hung up the phone I was out the door and on my way to Whitetail.The ski conditions were incredible and it was a bright sunny day. When I got up the next morning to get ready for work, I looked in the mirror and I had the most incredible 'goggle tan/sun burn'. I looked like a racoon!
Luckilly no one noticed.
Today I would love to do the same thing, however, today I really am sick...I have the worst sinus infection, for reall!
appskiah
January 7, 2010
Member since 09/16/2006 🔗
88 posts
i got tomorrow off without having to feign sickness wink. i'll be at TL or CV. black and blue with gray helmet
gizmosnow
January 8, 2010
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
6 - 8 more inches on my driveway at HV overnight and it's still coming down at a steady rate with up to another 6+ forecast by tomorrow morning.
gizmosnow
January 8, 2010
Member since 10/6/2005 🔗
269 posts
*** Laurel Highlands Snow Update ***

Continues to snow here at HV. Several more inches on my driveway since it was plowed at 9 am. Far more powder-snow than we've seen up here in a long time. You Pgh'ers (non-Pgh'ers also welcome) definitely want to get to 7S/HV this weekend if you can!

Ski and Tell

Snowcat got your tongue?