Tips for Canaan Valley/Timberline
15 posts
10 users
7k+ views
curih
December 28, 2009
Member since 02/18/2008 🔗
177 posts
So I'm finally going to sample West Virginia skiing. Booked New Year's weekend in the valley.

Any recommendations on Timberline vs. Canaan Valley or specific trails that are fun? Is one likely to be more crowded than the other? Any good bump runs? We've been working on our bump skiing lately.

I plan to hit both, but it will be two days at one and one at the other.
JimK - DCSki Columnist
December 28, 2009
Member since 01/14/2004 🔗
2,964 posts
This report from last season gives a flavor of the two ski areas. http://www.dcski.com/articles/view_article.php?article_id=1177
During good mid-winter conditions (as above) I would say two days at T-Line and one day at CV. But this is still early and I don't know the current trail counts, did they get rain out there over the weekend?
The big natural dump last week put CV in exceptionally good early season shape.
scottyb
December 28, 2009
Member since 12/26/2009 🔗
559 posts
On a full on powder day I would rather be at CV resort. Tline has some good tree skiing and serious lift lines. You should hit up Whitegrass for a day.
curih
December 28, 2009
177 posts
I would like to try cross country some time, but this weekend is unlikely.
TGV
December 29, 2009
Member since 11/13/2008 🔗
337 posts
Check out near-real-time photos here: www.visitcanaan.com
There are plenty of bumps at Timberline on the Drop!
Canaan & Timberline have both received over 3 inches - there are drifts of 12+ inches.
It's a bit cold here, so no rain at all!

Enjoy!
Bostic
December 30, 2009
Member since 12/30/2009 🔗
7 posts
You can also try the ski the Valley Ticket which gives you access to both mountains. Canaan has no lines and the lowest prices. Make sure you check the snow reports for current conditions
scootertig
December 30, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Just as a heads-up, the "ski the valley" ticket isn't available this weekend... (booooo)

I was thinking of doing that, myself.

aaron
jimmy
December 31, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
2,650 posts
Hey I'm just back from the valley, no crowds at Tline, Silver Queen lift has been ski on all week, the Drop is gonna be nice this weekend, Off the wall is open too they should be opening some more groomers in the next couple days, season is on, sorry for the run on sentence.

Curih i'd do Timberline Friday, Canaan Saturday and leave Sunday open for where you had the most fun.

The tip is if you can come down to West Virginia to ski, it doesn't get much better than Tucker County this weekend. I'm headin back Friday am.
David
December 31, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Be sure to take plenty of warm clothes. It's going to be a chilly weekend!!

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php...Field2=-79.4665
curih
January 1, 2010
177 posts
Jimmy, that's basically what we're doing. The Drop and Off the Wall were a lot of fun. They were probably better before the rain. Did two runs down each. Do they always leave those giant whales in Off The Wall? They make that trail significantly more challenging than it would be otherwise.

I also found it funny that Silver Queen is ski on but the other lift is a 5-10 minute line. I guess because all the intermediate terrain dumps there and only the diamonds and salamander go back to Silver Queen.
JohnL
January 3, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Quote:
Do they always leave those giant whales in Off The Wall?

Those were baby whales. They were blowing more snow Sat/Sun. They'll get bigger. Whales feasting on plankton. Last year, they groomed them out ~Feb 1st. mad
curih
January 3, 2010
177 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Quote:
Do they always leave those giant whales in Off The Wall?

Those were baby whales. They were blowing more snow Sat/Sun. They'll get bigger. Whales feasting on plankton. Last year, they groomed them out ~Feb 1st. mad

The wife was a big fan. They really change the character of the trail and limit the lines through the moguls. Even odder because the mogul field was completely different on the two sides. Big on deep on the right and underdeveloped on the left.
JohnL
January 3, 2010
Member since 01/6/2000 🔗
3,551 posts
Ya married a keeper.
David
January 4, 2010
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
Originally Posted By: JohnL
Ya married a keeper.

What he said ^^^^
kwillg6
January 4, 2010
Member since 01/18/2005 🔗
2,066 posts
I lived on the drop on NY eve & day. They got real fast on Saturday and they started feeding em again. Can't wait until this weekend when they will be much fatter and the "ta-tas" much bigger too wink. With the base in place, the pow-pow falling, I may just have to play hookie for a week or two. Gotta use all that snow that Ullr has given us. grin

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.