TR -Battlefield Pkwy, Leesburg VA- First Descent
7 posts
6 users
3k+ views
scootertig
December 19, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
Well, it's not glamorous, but how often do you get to ski powder within eyeshot of your front door when you live in Leesburg, VA?

Sensing a unique opportunity to join the giants of ski mountaineering, I grabbed my trusty rock skis and began my journey. Humbled by the enormity of the moment, I realized that I was going to officially claim a first descent. No small feat, that...

Much like the Aiguille du Midi, the wilds of Battlefield Parkway in Leesburg can only be skied when everything is just exactly right. I didn't want to take any needless risks, but I was on a date with destiny. Sensing that I was in no real danger, I set forth on my quest.

I scoped my line, and began the climb of at least 40 vertical feat. Fortunately, I'd had a substantial breakfast, and was properly fueled for the expedition.

There may be nothing more beautiful than first tracks, even when they are alongside a newly-constructed roadway, with a stoplight in the distance.

I was not the only winter sports enthusiast enjoying the day. I'm sure this guy and his kid were just happy to have a chance to break out the sled as they drove their snowmobile right up the boulevard.

scootertig
December 19, 2009
Member since 02/19/2006 🔗
365 posts
At the top again, I was filled with confidence, and ready to cement my place in the skiing lore of my subdivision.

Conditions were, in a word, incredible. Knee-deep powder on a base of the world-famous "Virginia grass and dirt".

I prepared for my last run of the day, determined to make it worthwhile. The day had already proven itself to be rewarding, but I sought something more meaningful.

As if meant as a sign of Ullr's pleasure in my endeavor, I was rewarded with that most treasured of powder day souvenirs, the face shot.

(seriously... you can see the snow flying up around my face... sadly, I don't have a photo from the other side).

Feeling satisfied that I had achieved a feat that would not soon be equaled, I returned homeward. Almost 300 yards.

To bring a sense of closure to the day, I wanted to memorialize the occasion for posterity with a photo record of the location of my accomplishment. Officially, my first first descent. Not bad for a Saturday in December, in the suburbs of Northern Virginia.

aaron
fishnski
December 19, 2009
Member since 03/27/2005 🔗
3,530 posts
BRAVO!!..Loved it
Bumps
December 19, 2009
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
Great Job!!!!!
Denis - DCSki Supporter 
December 21, 2009
Member since 07/12/2004 🔗
2,337 posts
BUMP. This is the best backyard skiing post of them all. Check the pics folks and don't let it slip to page 2.
wgo
December 21, 2009
Member since 02/10/2004 🔗
1,666 posts
Fantastic!
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
November 15, 2020
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
Fantastic...jealousy reigns!

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.