Wisp - Squirrel Cage lift
8 posts
4 users
1k+ views
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2009
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
How many years ago did Wisp remove the mid station off load on Squirrel Cage?
GGNagy
December 16, 2009
Member since 01/5/2006 🔗
504 posts
Is this why there are half covered "prepare to unload" messages on the towers on top of Squirrel Cage?

This leads to another question about something I noticed on monday. To the right of the lifts, along the tree line, there are 3 metal poles going up the hillside approximately between Deer Run and Wisp Trail. Follow their line down the hill, and they would come out just below the bottom of the surface lift on Possum. Light poles, or the remains of an old surface lift?

KeithT
December 16, 2009
Member since 11/17/2008 🔗
383 posts
Clarification, you all are talking about a mid-station right as you flatten out at the top of SC, not a little further up--correct???
bawalker
December 16, 2009
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
The 'new' midstation was installed in 2003 and moved further up if memory serves me correctly with the installation of the double chair lift.
KeithT
December 16, 2009
383 posts
This makes sense to me, I remember the old mid-station right at the top of SC, and have used the new one up higher. Where I got confused is that the new trail map on the web shows no mid-station at all.

Another interesting thing I never noticed before last year is that Main Street is set up with towers to allow for two lifts.
oldensign - DCSki Columnist
December 16, 2009
Member since 02/27/2007 🔗
499 posts
I thought I used to be able to do laps on SC.

Sunday in the rain it was a real pain to have to wait to the "new" mid station to unload". When the only fast trails open where SC and the Face.

I assume it was removed to move the whole lift back to access the North area.
bawalker
December 18, 2009
Member since 12/1/2003 🔗
1,547 posts
Keith - I noticed that a few years ago that there is room for two chairlifts on the towers there, but only one lift exists. I wonder if that is due to expected growth in condos on that side of the mountain and or any planned expansion there...? That they have the ability to just attach a wire and more chairs on the current lift and expand to double capacity...?
KeithT
December 18, 2009
383 posts
Years ago, I saw a brochure that had expansion for trails with one very similar to where the road up to the top is now. In fact when I mountain biked there in the late 80s-early 90s I though that this was a trail cut not a road cut. So perhaps this was the idea when they installed the lift but abandoned it for fractional condos. I have also heard that they plan to close that road and have access to the top of the mountain from the other side.

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.