Places to buy affordable ski gear in NoVA?
7 posts
6 users
2k+ views
ddemille
December 15, 2009
Member since 01/10/2006 🔗
9 posts
My wife needs a new pair of boots - her feet grew a size and a half when pregnant! I'd like to get a good deal; either "last year's model" or even used. Just can't see paying $300+ for boots when we ski maybe 5-10 days a season at local resorts.

I picked up boots for myself several years ago at Extreme Allsport in Chantilly (near Ski Chalet). That place was great, got a used pair with new 'liners' for $40; and they're are soooo comfortable. However, I think they are out of business now; but I plan to drive by just to check.

So, there are the big stores: Dicks, Modells, REI, and Sports Authority.
Then the local guys: Ski Chalet, Alpine Ski Shop, and Willis Ski shop.

Any advice or comments on these places are appreciated. I've been lurking this site for years and really enjoy it. Thanks!!
David
December 15, 2009
Member since 06/28/2004 🔗
2,444 posts
GO LOCAL. I'm sure you'll have a much better chance of getting a good fit and in the long run your wife will be MUCH happier.
ddemille
December 15, 2009
Member since 01/10/2006 🔗
9 posts
Thanks, I definitely would like to go with a local shop. Also, I called Alpine and they said they have last year's boots at 50% off - but I imagine Ski Chalet and Willis probably have some good deals too. I'll post back here after I swing by Extreme Allsport, sad if they're no longer in business.

Any other local places that I missed on this list?
Tucker
December 15, 2009
Member since 03/14/2005 🔗
893 posts
...boots are the most important component of the equation...it's worth spending a few extra bucks for a good boot w/ a great fit...
wojo
December 15, 2009
Member since 01/17/2005 🔗
333 posts
Pete sold Extreme All Sport. Out of Business. I was bummed too.
Eug
December 16, 2009
Member since 03/3/2005 🔗
142 posts
Regarding boots and fitting. Keep in mind that Brian, from ProFit, is in Alpine on Saturdays.
Bumps
December 17, 2009
Member since 12/29/2004 🔗
538 posts
I was just looking to see what happened. bummed big time.
DCSki Sponsor: Past Yonder: A Human's Views on AI

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.