6 posts
5 users
1k+ views
GRK
December 13, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Pretty good stuff all around.

Beautiful day in the Virginia Blue Ridge. There was a nice crowd with some short waits for lifts at peak times. Dobie, Cross Trails, and Eagles swoop were open and the snow conditions were good until they started to ice up around 4:30 which was pretty close to closing time anyway.

Coverage was good on the entire width of all trails with the usual pitches on the right side of Swoop and bumps on the lower part of dobie.

They were blowing snow on Sunrise, Tequila and in the Highlands and at a few strategic places on the open trails. They invested in some new snowmaking equipment in the off-season and it was being put to good use. Looks they want to really pound the cross trails which are troublespots.

Rental area had new layout and my daughter tried snowboarding for the first time and was issued brand new board and boots.

Good time. Wondering if 219 or anyone else showed up.
The Colonel - DCSki Supporter 
December 13, 2009
Member since 03/5/2004 🔗
3,110 posts
GRK,
Sounds great! Thanks for the report! What's this? Junior ski partner to become Sr Board partner???
Now if we can just get the weather to cooperate.
The Colonel smile
skier219
December 13, 2009
Member since 01/8/2005 🔗
1,318 posts
Yes, I was up there at the crack of 8am to get my season pass, and skied until about 3pm when my beer/burrito reflexes kicked in and my muscles started telegraphing surrender signals. Nice to see full coverage on upper Eagle's swoop -- skier's right is always a fun line. I thought the snow was excellent, which makes today's rain all the more unfortunate (it's a December base now). Hopefully they will bounce back for next weekend. I might head up Friday if I can.
k_alice
December 14, 2009
Member since 11/22/2005 🔗
92 posts
Excellent opening day at Wintergreen: great quality snow, no lines, fun runs on Eagle Swoop. But the best part was getting my 3-year-old on skis for the first time ever. He didn't stop smiling the whole time and seemed to catch on surprisingly quickly. So fun!

Weather today was a total bummer, but should be cooling down again for snowmaking later this week. They were starting to get a base on the Highlands, I'm hoping they're open next weekend!
marzNC - DCSki Supporter 
December 14, 2009
Member since 12/10/2008 🔗
3,272 posts
Glad to hear WTG is working on the Highlands already. Hope to get there in Jan.
GRK
December 14, 2009
Member since 12/19/2007 🔗
404 posts
Sr Board partner? Nah. She just wanted to give it try. I got her a lesson and I think she got it out of her system for now. Lots of peer pressure from school mates that snow-board once a year telling her its SOOOOOOO much cooler.
DCSki Sponsor: Canaan Valley Resort

Ski and Tell

Speak truth to powder.